Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2019, 11:40   #1

Looking for lay persons guide to Electrical/Electronics

Anyone have a recommendation for a hard copy reference for doing electrical/electronic work on a boat?

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
sasjzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 11:47   #2

Re: Looking for lay persons guide to Electrical/Electronics

Charlie Wing's Boatowners Illustrated Electrical Handbook is very good. I downloaded it from the internet a few years ago, but a hard copy should be very easy to find.

Nigel Calder's Boatowners Manual is the bible, but pretty detailed. Walk before you learn to run.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 11:56   #3

Yes Nigel Calder is good.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 11:56   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasjzl View Post
Anyone have a recommendation for a hard copy reference for doing electrical/electronic work on a boat?
As per Stu, I have both the books he's recommended and I agree that those are both good choices.

I already had a background in electrical/electronics, so those books were very helpful in outlining the practices and techniques specific to marine electrical systems. If you are new to electrical/electronic stuff, those books may be daunting, and you might want to get something that covers the basics. I don't have any specific suggestions here; hopefully others can make recommendations from experience.

In some brief Googling, I did run across this. I've only skimmed it, but it seems it conveys the basics.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 12:20   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
As per Stu, I have both the books he's recommended and I agree that those are both good choices.

I already had a background in electrical/electronics, so those books were very helpful in outlining the practices and techniques specific to marine electrical systems. If you are new to electrical/electronic stuff, those books may be daunting, and you might want to get something that covers the basics. I don't have any specific suggestions here; hopefully others can make recommendations from experience.

In some brief Googling, I did run across this. I've only skimmed it, but it seems it conveys the basics.
12V Doctor is a classic. Maybe slightly outdated but electricity hasn't changed much since it was written.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 11:14   #6

Boat: Currently boatless

Check out "Silboat Electrics Simplified" by Don Casey of "Goold Old Boat" fame. It may be too basic, especially compared with Calder's encyclopedic tome, but I found it very useful when totally rewiring my 28-footer.
Ken Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 11:48   #7

While I have Calder's book, may I also suggest two pieces of electrical test equipment:
(I'm an auto- tech (formerly known as a mechanic))
1) Snap-on Test light with digital readout
2) Power Probe III
ptards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 13:07   #8

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Boat Owners' Mechanical and Electrical Manual--by Nigel Calder.
Get it from Adlard Coles Nautical.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 17:39   #9

Boat: Samson C-Duece. 45 Feet

Hi. Try these.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sailboat...53.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Boatowne...53.m1438.l2649

I bought them and am waiting for them to arrive. My yacht needs some electrical work done. So figure I will do it myself. That's what I bought her for. To keep me off the streets.
Leggless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 20:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptards View Post
While I have Calder's book, may I also suggest two pieces of electrical test equipment:
(I'm an auto- tech (formerly known as a mechanic))
1) Snap-on Test light with digital readout
2) Power Probe III

Haven't used these exact tools but looked over their specs and they seem rather comprehensive. I find that working in automotive (and marine) applications a high impedence multimeter can sometimes lead you astray. I use an incandescent tail light with a clip lead to one terminal and a probe to the other, that way when I see the lamp light up bright I know it is connected between 12v and ground. Great way to trace wiring faults, corroded connections, etc. Corrosion = resistance = intensity changes. No fiddling with bifocals in a dimly lit area to read an LCD display. It is one of my tools in the kit that sees a lot of use.
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 09:00   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by trifan View Post
I find that working in automotive (and marine) applications a high impedence multimeter can sometimes lead you astray. I use an incandescent tail light with a clip lead to one terminal and a probe to the other, that way when I see the lamp light up bright I know it is connected between 12v and ground. Great way to trace wiring faults, corroded connections, etc. Corrosion = resistance = intensity changes. No fiddling with bifocals in a dimly lit area to read an LCD display. It is one of my tools in the kit that sees a lot of use.
Great idea, actually.

Just yesterday I was upside-down, tracing a circuit, and I had to prop the meter somewhere where i could see it, then hold the black lead to ground and probe with the red. I used to have a nice 12v probe - a reworked old pen with a LED and resistor in the end, and a negative lead with an alligator clip. Clip to a negative, then one-handed probing and you see the LED light - much easier. Gotta find it or make another one.

Your use of the incandescent bulb to present a suitable load is also very helpful.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, electric, electrical, electronics