Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2018, 16:55   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)
Sym Or Asym Spinnaker for Panama to Marquesas?

I’m looking into buying a spinnaker once again. I never end up buying one because I know I’ll use it only twice or so.

But this time I’m looking more seriously because we’re finally going to tackle the Pacific. I don’t want to risk remaining dead in the water for too long for lack of light weather sails.

We’re two adults and two small kids. Maybe we’ll take crew but to be conservative let’s assume that’s not going to be the case and we’ll be singlehandling most of the time—the other adult being busy with the kids or sleeping.

That’s something in favor of the relative ease of handling of an asym with a sock—or even a furler? But will a symmetrical spinnaker not be more effecient on the traditional tradewind route?

Or, should I just get something like a code zero, a more polyvalent sail that may see usage more than twice, and pole it out the best we can should we need the light weather sailing capability?

What’s your opinion and experience on this route?
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 17:02   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Sym Or Asym Spinnaker for Panama to Marquesas?

The symmetric would be more efficient for sure but much more demanding to fly. I would talk to your sailmaker and see what they can do to make an asymmetric that is fuller and more suited for off the wind. Certainly I would recommend getting one. You will likely use it more often than you think.
Old 26-07-2018, 18:23   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Sym Or Asym Spinnaker for Panama to Marquesas?

I cringe to say this as I’m no “real”sailor and usually stay out of those type of conversations.
But have you considered a cruising Code Zero?
I ask as they seem to be used a lot more often
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 18:29   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

This will be on the Beneteau 50 I assume?

If so, managing a symetrical on a biggish mono single handed can be a handful. An asym or other downwind/light air cruising sail I think would be more suitable for your boat/situation. Ideally one on a furler.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 00:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
This will be on the Beneteau 50 I assume?

If so, managing a symetrical on a biggish mono single handed can be a handful. An asym or other downwind/light air cruising sail I think would be more suitable for your boat/situation. Ideally one on a furler.
Yep, on the Bene 50. I have all the symmetrical gear except for the sail. Buying an asym with sock or especially with furler would be a much bigger hit on the budget. I’m looking at used and new but would prefer used if I found something in reasonable shape which so far I haven’t seen yet. If I’m not going to use it that often it might as well be used.
Old 27-07-2018, 01:08   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big2small View Post
Yep, on the Bene 50. I have all the symmetrical gear except for the sail. Buying an asym with sock or especially with furler would be a much bigger hit on the budget. I’m looking at used and new but would prefer used if I found something in reasonable shape which so far I haven’t seen yet. If I’m not going to use it that often it might as well be used.
No it won't, the cost of the sock is tiny compared to the overall cost of a cruising chute. You don't need a furler for it, that is what the sock is for to raise and lower the sail under control. Also worth pointing out you don't need to rig all the guys and sheets on a cruising chute you would have with a spinnaker. We fly our CC with just one sheet, no pole, no guys and a keep it simple approach. To jibe we lower the sock and walk the sheet around, move the sail and hoist the sock. Its a two minute job.

The downside is they don't like to be flown dead down wind, so the solution is to tack down wind.

Having bought a CC and practiced a bit, I bet you use it more often that you first imagine. Nice bit of kit to have on board for light wind conditions.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 02:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I cringe to say this as I’m no “real”sailor and usually stay out of those type of conversations.
But have you considered a cruising Code Zero?
I ask as they seem to be used a lot more often
That’s the idea I was playing with some months ago. (I still mentioned it in my opening post in this thread.) It’s still in the back of my head but if things go our way now we’ll mostly do tradewinds. I’d get a code zero rather than a spinnaker if I were going back to the Med though.
Old 27-07-2018, 02:53   #8

I guess my underlying question is what are the odds I’d be really sorry if I left Panama without light weather sails?
Old 27-07-2018, 04:53   #9

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Posting primarily to subscribe.

We don't know the answer to that yet, but we plan to find out soon.

We have an asymetrical spinnaker that we fly tacking downwind as deep as 165-170 degrees apparent. Reefing the main helps sailing deeper. As the wind gets up to around 15 apparent, down it comes. We thought about adding a sprit with a cruising code zero in a sock but decided not to. If the wind gets too light, we take the sails down and get some rest.

Cheers,
Old 27-07-2018, 07:46   #10

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
I guess my underlying question is what are the odds I’d be really sorry if I left Panama without light weather sails?
I think the odds are pretty good you would regret it. We didn't do this route on our trip across the Pacific (we went Galapagos - Easter route), but we heard many people on the SSB who were bemoaning the no-wind conditions further north. I agree that you will used it more than you think. Ours probably what it cost (new) in fuel and gave us some very nice sails as well. We used ours to about 15 knots apparent. The sock worked very well. Furlers are very expensive and seem to bring their own set of problems.
Old 27-07-2018, 09:00   #11

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
The symmetric would be more efficient for sure but much more demanding to fly. I would talk to your sailmaker and see what they can do to make an asymmetric that is fuller and more suited for off the wind. Certainly I would recommend getting one. You will likely use it more often than you think.

I agree. Better to sail a few more miles with a sail you can manage than hesitate to put out something than obliges your kid to steer while you futz with guys and lifts and other sym gear. In that sense, I would also suggest you investigate a Code Zero or running a poled-out jib with a poled-out staysail, if you have it. There's more than one way to keep moving close to DDW. If you go with an assy spin, definitely invest in a robust snuffer.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 09:04   #12

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:

I would consider it almost essential in trade-wind conditions to have some sort of durable aft-of-the beam sail. And a robust preventer for the main. Some of your best sailing is going to be on days in the trades in the Pacific, but the waves will build and you'll want everything to stay put in the troughs. Sell the spinnaker to aid the budget.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 09:06   #13

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Absolutely, you will either need light weather sails or a ton of fuel. The weather in the whole area can be very light for long periods. That is the real problem. It is either <10kn or >20 (sometimes a lot more) and it changes VERY suddenly. The dominant weather is light breezes and heavy squalls. You drift along till a squall hits then have to get the reefs in fast and make some mileage! I would not be comfortable flying a symmetrical short handed for that reason. A cruising chute with snuffer should be fine or even a big light weather genoa/geneka. The more it leans towards the genoa side the more versatile it is. You will not always have stern winds so light weather sails that can handle up to 60deg off the wind are a definite plus. You could then look at twin head sails for trade wind sailing when the wind is steady and astern. You still need to handle sails with expediency as even in the trade you get squalls.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 09:24   #14

Boat: Catalina 470

I'm in the code zero camp. It's more versatile. I have a assymetrical in a sock but never use it, it's alot to manage for just the two of us. The code zero on a furler is very easy to use and I can run very deep with it. Although it may not be a true deep down wind sail, it works quite fine, it may not be as good as the assymetrical for its intended use BUT due to the ease in using it, it gets used often. Think very large light weight genoa,furl in furl out.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 09:25   #15

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

I'm with PeteZ. As long as you have a sock to douse with, you can fly chutes with pretty simple running rigging. I've been practicing single handed, and have flown an asym and my roller furling genny for a twin headsail combo. Keep track of the sock downhaul and hopefully you don't have too much stuff mounted on the forward side of your mast. Fouling the downhaul is pretty easy.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marquesas, Panama, spinnaker