Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2020, 13:40   #1

Sailing Boat for tall person less then 2,5m beam

Hello guys,
Im looking to buy my first sailing boat, and looking for a best option.
The bad things, I have unfortunately difficult demands:
I should be able to drive my boat on a trailer, so it shouldn't be wider then 2.5 meters (8.2 feet)
And it should be suitable for a tall person, im 193 cm high (6.33 feet) I know it almost impossible to find boat with a cabin this high, but maybe u have some ideas.
And it would be nice to find something for less then 7-10 grand (€)
The equipment of saloon isn't that important, ill be rebuilding it anyway.

Right now im looking at trident 24, as a best option, but maybe u have some other thoughts

Thank u all for ur answers
sorry if u find this question stupid

P.S.:
oh, and im living in Europe, so boats like Pearson, that u can find only in states aren't really an option
nik_strim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 07:21   #2

Re: Sailing Boat for tall person less then 2,5m beam

Guys, any advice?
Old 31-08-2020, 08:01   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Welcome to the forum, Nik.

You seem on track. Trailering is facilitated by a centerboard or swing keel. You could look at slightly larger boats and still be able to trailer.

Condition versus price may be an issue. As a first boat, consensus seems to be to stay away from "project" boats, because they end up costing lots and taking up time that had best be spent sailing. Better to get something you can sail away, which may mean staying small in order to stay within your budget.

Look at lots of boats before you purchase.

Successful production runs mean there were plenty of reasonably happy owners. Best stay with the popular models and save wanting an odd-ball boat for later. It also helps with parts.

Let us know what you find. Have a good time.
Old 31-08-2020, 08:52   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Welcome to the forum, Nik.

You seem on track. Trailering is facilitated by a centerboard or swing keel. You could look at slightly larger boats and still be able to trailer.

Condition versus price may be an issue. As a first boat, consensus seems to be to stay away from "project" boats, because they end up costing lots and taking up time that had best be spent sailing. Better to get something you can sail away, which may mean staying small in order to stay within your budget.

Look at lots of boats before you purchase.

Successful production runs mean there were plenty of reasonably happy owners. Best stay with the popular models and save wanting an odd-ball boat for later. It also helps with parts.

Let us know what you find. Have a good time.
Kinda one of the biggest reasons I want to buy a boat, is to work on it and rebuild it.
But thanks a lot for answer!!!
Old 31-08-2020, 10:48   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_strim View Post
Hello guys,
Im looking to buy my first sailing boat, and looking for a best option.
The bad things, I have unfortunately difficult demands:
I should be able to drive my boat on a trailer, so it shouldn't be wider then 2.5 meters (8.2 feet)
And it should be suitable for a tall person, im 193 cm high (6.33 feet) I know it almost impossible to find boat with a cabin this high, but maybe u have some ideas.
And it would be nice to find something for less then 7-10 grand (€)
The equipment of saloon isn't that important, ill be rebuilding it anyway.

Right now im looking at trident 24, as a best option, but maybe u have some other thoughts

Thank u all for ur answers
sorry if u find this question stupid

P.S.:
oh, and im living in Europe, so boats like Pearson, that u can find only in states aren't really an option

Have you researched Trimaran's on yatchworld? I'm actively searching for my second boat and was surprised at the headroom some trimarans had and some of them will come with a trailer.
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 11:38   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing Boat for tall person less then 2,5m beam

The only Trident 24 I know is a Brit built boat from the 60's/70's and if memory serves the headroom is around 5ft and a bit..
She came in 3 versions, bilge keel, fin keel and centre board.
The only thing I can suggest is you create a Pop Top like the VW camper van.. only be any use at anchor or in harbours.
Where you are based would be a big help for folks as each side of the pond has models specific to their needs.. NW Europe more rugged for the sea's.. E coast US not so important.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 11:52   #7

Reference https://www.cruisingworld.com/11-poc...rs-fit-budget/

Very difficult to have a boat small and light enough in weight to be readily trailerable [say 25 to 28 feet Length Over All, approximately 2+ tonnes] and towable by a large heavy duty vehicle, [think a full size pickup truck or full sized SUV such as a Chevy 2500 Suburban] and also to provide for tall standing height. To be readily trailerable, the mast needs to be easily stepable and stowed.

A swing keel eases trailerability and opens shallow water / shore / beach access and avails the limited depth required for most boat trailer ramp accesses, but does require structural intrusions to be housed into the cabin sole.

A transom mounted outboard engine mitigates against taking up limited hull occupancy space of a small inboard engines which are inherently installed with very cramped access and are noisy below when operating.

The standing height will be limited in any case towards the center of the salon area, not in the V berths and maybe not in the head or over the side galley because the side decks and foredeck intrude into the house space and are not as tall as the raised mid deck house structure and of course the entire area under the cockpit of a small vessel is crawl and storage space. Meaning that most of the underdeck part of the boat will be of low height.

There are boats with pop up decks over the salon area which pop ups generally can be deployed when at anchor or in a slip but are not generally suitable or safe for having raised when making passage except in mild conditions, and are disadvantaged when the weather is inclement as they open to the air, bugs and dew and rain enter. Some pop ups will interfere with keeping the boom held down but the pop up works when motoring or not sailing. Since the pop up is actually the main deck of the house structure it can be quite heavy and challenging to raise.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 12:18   #8

A prospect: Westerly Konsort.

May be a bit too large for ease of trailering, but if one just wishes to trailer it say twice a year at the beginning of a season and at the end to move to storage then perhaps viable. A popular, big box of a boat for its size and weight.

https://www.magzter.com/article/Boat...-boat-for-life

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...rt-29-3549364/

In the alternative, one may desire to look into motorsailer boats with wheelhouses as their tall structures generally have reasonable height inside since that is what they are intended for, especially if you sail in coolish or wet climates.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 12:52   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

C&C Mega30: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%26C_Mega_30_One_Design
Built to trailer and short hand.
There is a bubble you probably can stand up in and the rest of the cabin is somewhat raised. I'm 186cm so I understand.
Some were built in Germany.

Alternatively: Dufour T7
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/dufour-t7
Not a lot of headroom, but trailerable, plenty of berth, good starter boat & resonably priced.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailing