Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2014, 18:20   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Cheoy Lee Traveler Winch

I have a Cheoy Lee 47with a Cheoy Lee made traveler winch, does anyone out there have any info on them.
This one is frozen and I'm trying to get it apart without destroying it.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 09:50   #2

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 50
Re: Cheoy Lee Traveler Winch

Hi, I have the same issue except I was able to kinda get mine working. Did you ever get a response to your post?
Attached Files
Kevin Whitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 10:36   #3

No, never received any feedback.
The Cheoy Lee boatyard had a smaller one in stock, still in the wrapping but it's made for smaller loads.
I eventually found a replacement in a consignment shop made by Hood, looks like a carbon copy except for the name on it.
The old one is being removed this year and the replacement put in, it's the same bolt pattern as the old one. I'll see if I can get the old one apart after letting it soak for awhile so I can rebuild it as a spare. The traveler itself works OK, but there are models from Garhauer that work better, I'm on the fence on that one, I have many other pieces higher on the list to fix.
Old 15-03-2016, 10:49   #4

Once off the boat I can heat the side of the casting enough to free up the bolts and get them out, usually a MAP gas torch will do it, rapidly heating the side of the casting where the bolts thread into will break the corrosion bond.
They have a large bearing at the base of the spool, I suspect it's corroded into the haousing and will nee a bit of soak time to come free, if not I can heat the base of the casting under the bearing housing to get it free also.
Old 15-03-2016, 11:04   #5

Can you tell me the Hood model number?

Mine works well in one direction but is stiff in the other. Also, and most troubling is that it won't lock going both ways meaning that when I tack and the boom crosses the center line of the boat, the traveler slams against the track stop.

I'm sure there's a pawl or something that's stuck but I can't get it apart to clean and lube it. Does yours look like mine? Do you have a bolt sticking out of yours to switch directions?

It took 3 days of soaking the crap out of it with PB blaster to get it to where it would do anything at all.
Old 15-03-2016, 11:40   #6

The hood line stopper is on the boat on the hard right now so I'll get some info on it when I go to work on it this weekend.
If you've gotten it moving that's half the battle, I suggest removing it from the deck so you can use heat to remove the bolts securing the drum. This will allow you to remove the drum and get at the bearing. It should be replaceable.
The hood line stoppers went out of production a decade or two ago so their few and far between, as rare as the Cheoy Lee Lee li e stoppers. You may find one but their hard to find.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 15-03-2016, 11:50   #7

Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it goes.

Did you say if you had a different "gear shift" than mine?
Old 15-03-2016, 14:01   #8

Nope. I have the same lever on the Cheoy Lee piece. The Hood linestopper had a different looking lever but in the same place, with the same function.
Old 15-03-2016, 20:16   #9

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

You seem to have this resolved, but I'll add this anyway:

ANDERSEN Winches | Line Tenders - easy and simple line control

I've never seen one of these, much less used one, but they seem to do what you need, unless you need a lower gear.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 07:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
You seem to have this resolved, but I'll add this anyway:

ANDERSEN Winches | Line Tenders - easy and simple line control

I've never seen one of these, much less used one, but they seem to do what you need, unless you need a lower gear.
Thanks for the information, the Andersen winch is $600.00 new, I was able to find the Hood replacement used for $150.00, but I was lucky on that one, if you cant find a functional used piece or fix the original it's always an alternative since it seems to have the same functionality. Another alternative is to replace the whole traveler with a Garhauer piece with more purcahse and cam locks on it, which would come at or below the price of the andersen winch. If you send them the old traveler track they will make one that fits the original mounting for a slight amount above the cost of the standard piece which makes mounting it much easier. I've also considered that approach, we'll see how much I like the old style system once I swap the winches out this year.
In my case the Hood piece just happened to turn up at a good time, I'm going to pull the original CL piece and rebuild it, they were pretty solid pieces and with some careful "deconstruction" i should be able to refurb it, then we'll see how much I like this setup, since I haven't been able to use it as it was originally set up.

Tags
cheoy lee, winch