Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2019, 13:29   #16

Boat: Island Packet, IP40
Re: Sailer / Cruising trainer - S2 Performance Cruiser vs Catalina 25

^^^ thx for the info HBK.

Correct on the S2 27 Performance Cruiser being an inboard, the Catalina 25 has an outboard that is definitely shorter than the recommended 25” shaft (and which he couldn’t keep running without having to rev RPMs).

BTW, the S2 27 would be 6.9k firm with fresh bottom paint. The Cat 25 would probably cost me ~4k given I can point out I’ll need a new motor. I’m willing to walk away from both. Buying outright with cash (well, cert check really but you get the point ). 5k is our target spend but can rationalize a couple thousand for the right personal reasons
Kickin Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 13:34   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Keep looking.

There are LOTS of boats in your area. For cruising, a Catalina 27 or 30 will work better if you can muster a little more money.
Will dig around. Feel free to PM me. I guess what I need to do is start another thread so folks can send me some recommendations

Was about to pick Paul’s brain re: getting a second opinion on the S2 this week by engaging his consultative services (or, as I like to say, getting another experienced sanity check). I wont be getting a full survey, and understand the risks of this, but for this price point, my experience, and what I want to do with it, am ok with the risk
Old 15-04-2019, 13:39   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckpond49 View Post
I admit to a prejudice toward the S2. I've sailed an '87 35C for 15 years now and think the build quality and "smarts" in the design make it a good choice. A friend upgraded to a
a mid-80's 30' S2 from a 27' Morgan and is glad she did. I have no real squawks on the Catalina's, just that they weren't put together like an S2. If you want to insure either one you will probably have to have a survey done.
We’re paying cash, and still discussing what level of insurance (if any) we want on this boat. This boat is truly disposable to us in every sense of the word, but that doesn't mean we wont maintain it and wouldn’t mind selling it to a new up and comer.

We pride ourselves on maintaining / improving the quality of the boats we own and use now; its depressing to see how many derelict boats there are on the Bay but I digress ...
Old 15-04-2019, 15:19   #19

Well ... the S2 27 just sold so I’m back to browsing boats. Bummer as I was moving money around for the purchase, but I’m sure we’ll find another.

I’m likely walking on the Catalina 25 too

Thx all for the replies!
Old 15-04-2019, 15:37   #20

Keep looking, and enjoy the hunt!

Everything you've said here is pretty much spot on for what you should be looking for.

Not sure you should bother insuring a $5-7K boat, other than liability.

Have your money together before you're looking so you can pounce on the right one. Find a boat in good shape, and get it. I don't think you really need a survey on a boat in that price range, but do get someone who knows something about sailboats to have a look.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, cruise, cruiser, cruising, sail