Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2020, 12:04   #1

Boat: Nordic Tug 37
Re-Galvanizing Spade Anchor

Hi all.

I am very happy with the performance of our Spade S120 steel anchor: Quick to set and no dragging after many nights out in all sorts of weather.

But, the galvanizing is not great and now after 3 ½ years and probably >150 sets, I have many areas of bare steel that rust over very readily. It’s mostly a cosmetic issue but I don’t like to see the rust.

I’ve tried cold galvanizing spray paint but it’s not at all durable & scuffs off very quickly.

Has anyone on this forum had experience with re-galvanizing their Spade anchor? I understand that the lead in the tip has to be melted out & replaced after the galvanizing or else the anchor becomes useless.

Any thoughts or accounts of your own experience with the Spade appreciated.

- evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:59   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Re: Re-Galvanizing Spade Anchor

Have you contacted Spade directly? From my experience they have awesome customer service. I bent the shank on my 120, totally my fault and they sent me a new anchor. All I had to do was send the old one back. I'd give them a call...
Old 06-01-2020, 13:03   #3

Boat: Tayana 47

I had an experience similar to Sid. Incredible customer service on a Spade that was much older than yours. Cosmetic rust that doesn’t affect the function of the anchor might not warrant getting a new one, but I’m confident that if you call them they will more than treat you right and you’ll end up feeling very satisfied with their response.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 13:18   #4

I would definitely call. I believe you're right that the lead in the tip of a Spade has to be removed before hot dip galvanizing - or it melts.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 13:36   #5

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Definitely call spade. I believe they also have a profile here on cf.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 13:47   #6

Boat: Outbound 44

We've regalvanized our Spade. They have to melt the lead out and then replace after galvanising. The surface has lasted fine, although the sharp point will wear off quickly.
Old 06-01-2020, 14:57   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

OR you could try to paint it.

Pettit RustLoc is a on part urethane, dry high in aluminum solids. You need to put in multiple coats at the right interval. Figure a day to do this.

Ameron 235 is a 2 part epoxy paint made for steel. Again you out on a few coats at the right interval.

Ameron 302 is a 2 part epoxy made for steel with very high solids content, zinc. It’s a primer and green. I have painted anchors with this just because I have had some left over from another job and I hate to throw stuff out. Seems to be holding up remarkably well. I would coat my chain with it if I could figure out how.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 15:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
OR you could try to paint it.

Pettit RustLoc is a on part urethane, dry high in aluminum solids. You need to put in multiple coats at the right interval. Figure a day to do this.

Ameron 235 is a 2 part epoxy paint made for steel. Again you out on a few coats at the right interval.

Ameron 302 is a 2 part epoxy made for steel with very high solids content, zinc. It’s a primer and green. I have painted anchors with this just because I have had some left over from another job and I hate to throw stuff out. Seems to be holding up remarkably well. I would coat my chain with it if I could figure out how.
If you are anchoring a lot paint just doesn't last long. I tried using a Por paint system on my Spade. It wasn't worth the effort or cost.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 19:56   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

IIRC Spade has posted here on CF that they will supply their own paint system to customers with dead galvo... free of charge. So a call is in order.

Jim
Old 06-01-2020, 20:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
IIRC Spade has posted here on CF that they will supply their own paint system to customers with dead galvo... free of charge. So a call is in order.

Jim
Paint just won't last if you live on the hook. Maybe fine if you are primarily in a berth.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 20:31   #11

Hi all,

Thank you all for your useful and helpful responses.

I did call Spade about the rust issue about a year ago and they offered to send me one of their Paint-on Galvanizing Kits. After a couple of months of no receipt, I emailed them back and they told me that the kits were on Back order and were no longer available.

(It looks like the Ameron would be pretty tough and would allow a top coat paint to add to the durability; but, after all the trouble of getting the product and futzing around, it would probably be better just to re-galvanize.)

It would make sense to call Spade again though and see what they suggest. I will do that and report back.

Thanks everyone.

-evan
Old 16-06-2020, 21:43   #12

Well...

After Trying some braze-on Zinc sticks and painting the anchor with POR-15 (despite meticulous surface prep) I’m back where I started:

I’m the proud owner of a rusting Spade anchor that works very well but looks like cr@p.

I contacted Spade & they have offered me a 25% discount on a replacement Stainless Steel anchor. After shipping, taxes etc., I’m looking at ~ $2200+ CAD to fix a primarily cosmetic issue. (Unless I ignore it and it eventually becomes a structural problem.)

I am now looking into melting out the lead & re-galvanizing as, quite honestly, with a decent galvanizing job, the steel anchor should be able to give many more years of good service. (Yes, I would have to replace the lead after the galvanizing is done...)

If anyone here has done this, I’d be happy to hear of your experience & any tips you can provide.

Thanks..,
- evan
Old 16-06-2020, 21:54   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

If you use it often enough, you will wear the rust off and it doesn't look too bad. It's an anchor -- big and ugly.

I am trying out a stainless Ultra anchor as an alternative to my big and ugly Spade.

I don't know if that's a good way forward or not, but we'll see.

In any case, I don't think there is any surface treatment for steel, which holds up if you anchor a lot. Not painting, not galvanizing. The seabed is basically sanding it off.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 05:22   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
If you use it often enough, you will wear the rust off and it doesn't look too bad. It's an anchor -- big and ugly.

I am trying out a stainless Ultra anchor as an alternative to my big and ugly Spade.

I don't know if that's a good way forward or not, but we'll see.

In any case, I don't think there is any surface treatment for steel, which holds up if you anchor a lot. Not painting, not galvanizing. The seabed is basically sanding it off.
Yes, using the anchor scrubs off the rust until it's dried off and sits on the bow roller for a day or two with a fresh new crop of blooming orange. Other galvanized anchors don't seem to do this as much and I can't help thinking that a good quality galvanizing job would fix it...

Let us know what you think of the Ultra.

-evan
Old 17-06-2020, 18:15   #15

I've found a galvanizing company in Delta BC that says that they can re-galvanize the Spade. ($150 CAD minimum charge with 2 day turn around.)

I have to get all the paint off the anchor and melt out the lead, but at least it's do-able.

I will report back after all said and done.

-evan

Tags
anchor