Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2016, 17:46   #1

Boat: Kurt Hughes 36 daychrter cat
St Augustine good anchorages

hi folks,
hope to get down to st aug this fall at least one trip.

Never been into salt run. We only draw a couple of feet (36 cat).

Anybody been in there? Spent a few nights anchored just south of bridge of lions last dec. good holding but nasty current, traffic, etc. On the chart salt run looks a lot better.... and the main thing of course- what about landing the dink? any good public places there you can row ashore without hassle?

Thanks!
charly
charlystsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 17:57   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: St Augustine good anchorages

With your draft you can follow the channel in Salt Run down to the lighthouse and anchor east of marker #16. There's a dock with a public boat ramp at the lighthouse.
Old 13-08-2016, 18:33   #3

Ah, thanks!
I see it on google earth. Looks like a good spot to layover walk down to a concert at the amphitheater, next time somebody decent plays there.

Is the public ramp open all night?
Old 13-08-2016, 18:51   #4

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

I was at St. Augustine on land last weekend....I was surprised by all the people and open bands. Walk across the Lions Gate Bridge that has a walk way on both sides. Kinda cool walk.

The place was hopping on a summer weekend. Not sure when the hopping stops. Probably the night before you get there.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 09:57   #5

Boat: Ted Brewer, Bulldog 30' built in aluminum

There's a unique spot for your draft off the ICW just South of the Villano bridge, opposite side of the waterway (West) from the main ICW channel, which is the East side of the waterway complex. You would have to scout it out by dink first, but I envied that spot as I commuted one summer. There was a 35' foot mono anchored there for months, with plenty of swing room...only boat there. After you pass South under the bridge, it's hard to starboard and all the way over nearer the West bank. You can see the car entrance to Camanchee Cove from the anchorage...possibly a dink tie up? Again, you'd have to mark your depth to get in and out because the sand bar comes in to play in that tricky patch weaving East and then West to get to the Bridge of Lions (you know not to try it at night).
And live music, Corner Bar near Gypsy Cab (various artists) and the corny San Sebastian winery on King Street has some surprisingly good bands with no cover (avoid the wine, imho).
kmcshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 12:59   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

Good info on the STA Cruisers FB page -

https://m.facebook.com/groups/706475...?ref=bookmarks

My Irwin 43 draws 5' and we were well up Salt Run way past the public dock before we grounded last week.

City also operates a mooring field in Salt Run.

Cheers
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 13:05   #7

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Although the cruisers shuttle is defunct, Sandy still keeps her website active. She has a bunch of details on anchorages there.

ANCHORAGE
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 11:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcshane View Post
There's a unique spot for your draft off the ICW just South of the Villano bridge, opposite side of the waterway (West) from the main ICW channel, which is the East side of the waterway complex. You would have to scout it out by dink first, but I envied that spot as I commuted one summer. There was a 35' foot mono anchored there for months, with plenty of swing room...only boat there. After you pass South under the bridge, it's hard to starboard and all the way over nearer the West bank. You can see the car entrance to Camanchee Cove from the anchorage...possibly a dink tie up? Again, you'd have to mark your depth to get in and out because the sand bar comes in to play in that tricky patch weaving East and then West to get to the Bridge of Lions (you know not to try it at night).
And live music, Corner Bar near Gypsy Cab (various artists) and the corny San Sebastian winery on King Street has some surprisingly good bands with no cover (avoid the wine, imho).
Good info thanks. I was there years ago and scouted that spot but don't remember much about it. I may check it out when I get time.
Old 15-08-2016, 11:19   #9

Thanks guys for all the tips.

I drove down there this weekend and took a look around the lighthouse area.

Looks perfect for us in October!
Old 15-08-2016, 12:40   #10

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Regarding Salt Run, I believe they had a rash of thefts there several weeks back. Observe common-sense precautions if anchored in that area.

Nice view of the lighthouse, which is worth a tour.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 15:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
Regarding Salt Run, I believe they had a rash of thefts there several weeks back. Observe common-sense precautions if anchored in that area.

Nice view of the lighthouse, which is worth a tour.
Right... someone stealing winches.
Old 15-08-2016, 15:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlystsimons View Post
Thanks guys for all the tips.

I drove down there this weekend and took a look around the lighthouse area.

Looks perfect for us in October!
The problem with salt run is that the wind is relentless from late fall till summer and it gets cold cold cold! Also, there are no amenities, like showers. I suppose the conch house may have showers you can pay for.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:16   #13

Hey guys, just a follow up, probably nothing most don't already know but Ill post anyway.

We made St Aug last weekend, had a great trip etc. It is well worth a stop if you have the time.

A few notes: the mooring field in Salt Run had not been inspected yet so municipal marina was not renting any. There is not a lot of swing room in the anchorage, and it was full, so we went around and grabbed a mooring in the North field, which had been inspected.

We were lucky to get one though, so best to call ahead. It is a nice spot, with a few drawbacks- fairly open to the NE, wave reverberations off the sea wall, street noise at night. But hey, if you aren't on a real strict budget (about 20 bucks a night for the mooring, which includes a launch service) it is a pretty good deal IMO. Its right in the heart of everything.

St Aug is a fun town. I'll definitely do it again.

Charly
LOGBOOK the spirit of st simons
http://charlysboat.com
Old 21-06-2020, 08:22   #14

I've been looking for updated info about mooring and anchorage options near St. Augustine but most of the relevant posts here are over 5 years old. Is anyone willing to provide an new-ish update on this topic?

What are the best options for mooring and anchorage near St. Augustine? How safe is it? How expensive? Any local knowledge and tips?

Thanks.
travelnodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 21:07   #15

The city marina has an extensive and affordable mooring field. You get a dock for your dinghy right down town, clean bathrooms and showers, free wifi, an air conditioned cruiser lounge, a place to do laundry, and a place to send mail. For $400 a month it can't be beat.

If you want to anchor out and dinghy in, you are in a bit of a pickle. Unless you meet a local that will let you use their dock (good luck) you are going to want to use the city marina dock anyway and you will have to pay almost that same $400 a month for it... so it makes sense to just get the mooring ball.

The Saint Augustine Cruisers Net on facebook is full of great information.

Tags
anchor, anchorages