Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2018, 17:20   #1

Boat: Omega 36
Sailing Maine US

Dear All, any advice is highly appreciated. I have just 2 weeks for a trip from Newport RI to any “interesting” place in Maine US. Does it make sense to try it having just 2 weeks? 2 -3 days in Maine should be OK, considering luck of time. In good condition I can make 6.5 – 7 knots close reach. “Interesting” for me means nature, small towns. Thanks!
Kolchac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 17:31   #2

re: Sailing Maine US

Only problem I see this time of year is very light winds and fog. So plan to motor and use your radar.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:51   #3

Boat: Omega 36
Re: Sailing Maine US

Bean Counter, thanks for your good advice. I came back a couple of weeks ago and had everything: 5 days of stormy sailing (thanks to “Florence”), fog (30 yards of visibility) and motoring. Two weeks is not enough to have a pleasure sailing: I better stay at some places longer and not going with “small craft advisory” or “hazard”.
Islands in Maine did not impress me, they are nice, but all my attention had water slalom between lobster traps. Also I noticed local trappers do not use radars in heavy fog.
Two interesting episodes: at DiMillo’s, Portland, a guy at fuel pump refused to take my docking lines – said “it’s not my job”. At Dolphin Marine I was demanded to leave a mooring (I paid for) because a storm is coming and the owner did not want any accidents at his marina.
Kolchac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 13:06   #4

Boat: Sabre 426

Kolchac,
Look into water sailing">Blue Water Sailing Club, a New England based sailing club that annually has a two week cruise in Maine, as well as a cruise south of the Cape Code Cannel. The also are one of the three sponsors of the Marion / Bermuda Race.

What I have found is that they often cruise into interesting places that I would have sailed past. The Maine cruise is usually the first two weeks of August, so as to limit the fog impact.
Resolve78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 13:36   #5

Boat: sabre 28

If you only have two weeks & you're leaving from Newport why not go Block, Vineyard & the islands around Buzzards Bay?

You could spend a lifetime exploring Maine.

Tags
sail, sailing