Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2019, 21:40   #1

Anyone building a Searunner 31 trimaran?

I currently own a Cal 29 but I've been reading lots of Jim Brown material on his Searunner trimaran designs from the 1960s and am intrigued at the possibility of building my own. The plans are still available from John Marples and Brown's books have tons of information to help and are free downloads (Construction Plans, The Case for the Cruising Multi-hull, Among the Multi-hulls). And his boats are proven designs that have cruised the world. Aside from the great reference material that's available, the design is about as well thought out for a cruiser as anything I've come across and Jim Brown designed, built and cruised on Scrimshaw for over 40 years and still loved his boat.

I've been pricing the build (John Marples will email a materials list) along with standard outfitting and it looks to be $50K-$75K complete but that's still a fraction of a new production cruising boat without outfitting.

I'd love to hear of anyone currently building a Searunner and would also jump at the opportunity to look over a completed SR31 in any marinas from Ventura to San Diego. I live in Long Beach.
YMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Searunner, trimaran