Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2018, 02:40   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Lady Africa catamaran rebuild

some interesting videos documenting this couples distruction and rebuild of a Dean 365 catamaran on you tube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC2...6_jwo7CRjKNEyw

atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Lady Africa catamaran rebuild

next episode
i'm not sure if he is going down the route of his plan of making the boat lighter using composites,seems like there is a lot of very heavy 25mm ply wood going into the build

Old 10-02-2018, 13:51   #3

I have been following this. Some interesting choices and for anyone interested in the rebuild and repair of an older catamaran, it might be worth a view of three.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 17:21   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

next episode here,interesting mix of bodging and high tech materials!
not sure if the vessel will have any resale value but if it gets them to america where they intend migrate to does it really matter?

Old 11-02-2018, 01:06   #5

I'm glad you used the word bodging - I didn't want to be judging the work but was not overly impressed at some of the stuff in the last episode. As for resale, I think at the moment anything up to £50K that looks pretty will sell to the huge numbers of keen Vaganonders out there. If you want to sell old boats for more money then you need quality.
Snowgoose35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:34   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
next episode here,interesting mix of bodging and high tech materials!
not sure if the vessel will have any resale value but if it gets them to america where they intend migrate to does it really matter?
For the UK, bodging is a way of life. When a brit wants something out of his price range... a cheap buy and lots of bodging ensues..

I have bought bodged items, some bodged well and others needed rebodging.. but the price was right.

Depending on the rest of the build, Lady Africa will probably be worth the price for a coastal run around...cheap and cheerful. It would have a home in west coast Florida for a good ole fishing boy who will add to the bodging..

I always wished we could have video'd your build Alex, but I couldnt justify a couple of years to go down to the south west and do it....

As you say, horses for courses. Theirs is getting to the USA. These guys are enjoying it and giving a lot of pleasure to people watching...

Their enthusiasm is infectious.

Much respect and good luck sent to them.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:03   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgoose35 View Post
I'm glad you used the word bodging - I didn't want to be judging the work but was not overly impressed at some of the stuff in the last episode. As for resale, I think at the moment anything up to £50K that looks pretty will sell to the huge numbers of keen Vaganonders out there. If you want to sell old boats for more money then you need quality.
i found this guy the other day,turning his wharram into a shed for world cruising,he makes rickky look like a master craftsman....all these years of boat building , i now realise where i have been going wrong

Old 11-02-2018, 02:11   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
For the UK, bodging is a way of life. When a brit wants something out of his price range... a cheap buy and lots of bodging ensues..

I have bought bodged items, some bodged well and others needed rebodging.. but the price was right.

Depending on the rest of the build, Lady Africa will probably be worth the price for a coastal run around...cheap and cheerful. It would have a home in west coast Florida for a good ole fishing boy who will add to the bodging..

I always wished we could have video'd your build Alex, but I couldnt justify a couple of years to go down to the south west and do it....

As you say, horses for courses. Theirs is getting to the USA. These guys are enjoying it and giving a lot of pleasure to people watching...

Their enthusiasm is infectious.

Much respect and good luck sent to them.
i thought about a video,but couldn't persuade the wife to help out whilst wearing a bikini

maybe a time lapse of still shots
Old 11-02-2018, 02:11   #9

That hurt my eyes! I watched one by this guy the other day on his plan to install electric motors instead of engines and decided it was not worth watching any more of his stuff... now I'm sure.

(Not to open an old debate because I love electric propulsion I just wouldn't use it yet for cruising because of power density today - my comments relate only to this guys ideas and calculations on electric power not the concept itself)
Snowgoose35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 14:51   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

well nearly a year on and these guys are still going strong,60 episodes later and getting on to the fun stuff.

commendable in my opinion and will be very interesting to those contemplating refits or just want to binge watch a couple taking on a big project in one of the newer cruising destinations,south africa,note the episode about fitting blue nova lithium batteries,every thing is available there,more or less for those who will be sailing around the cape on a RTW trip.

please subscribe and like their channel if you have the time to watch some quirky,yet interesting videos with a destinct african flavour of rebuilding a Dean 365 catamaran,every view helps them getting that bit closer to splashing the boat

Tags
Africa, catamaran, rebuild