Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2020, 10:04   #1

Sailing from US to Mexico during Coronavirus

This may have been covered in another thread, but we were planning on sailing to Mexico before the pandemic. We put it on hold after the outbreak, but still want to go.

I am getting conflicting info on whether or not private sailboats can cross the border to Mexico. Specifically we would be crossing from California into Baja. The road border is closed, but some are saying private boats can enter. We have a Pearson Countess 44. Does anyone know for sure?
Old 02-07-2020, 13:11   #2

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35
Re: Sailing from US to Mexico during Coronavirus

Kind of a moot point right now as the season for Mexico starts in November. What happens with Covid 19 and the rest between now and then, who knows?But I'm following as I too am hoping to go South.
Old 02-07-2020, 17:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
Kind of a moot point right now as the season for Mexico starts in November. What happens with Covid 19 and the rest between now and then, who knows?But I'm following as I too am hoping to go South.
Thanks Mark. I would be throwing that type of safety to the wind, and going regardless of the season. Anyone know of the current regs?
Old 02-07-2020, 18:01   #4

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

I would feel safer from covid19 cruising then the insane way our country has handled it. When i say the question is moot until then is because we hff have no way if knowing any borders will be open to us. What the rules are today may very well change by then and maybe several times.
Old 02-07-2020, 19:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
I would feel safer from covid19 cruising then the insane way our country has handled it. When i say the question is moot until then is because we hff have no way if knowing any borders will be open to us. What the rules are today may very well change by then and maybe several times.
I completely agree. Also I live in Los Angeles, which is a hotbed right now. I'm getting us out asap. WE can watch out for storms, not these idiots.
Old 03-07-2020, 00:27   #6

Michelle Aguilar in Ensenada assists in TIP/paperwork for cruisers. She is probably a good source for info. She used to be the office manager at Cruiseport Village and is quite knowledgeable in local regulations. She has helped me import some difficult items - nice person

Info@bcconnection.com.mx
+1 619-305-9385 (WhatsApp)
Old 03-07-2020, 07:39   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

folks are sailing into mexico yes no issues.. check in is easy--just have your paperwork in hand.
many areas are opening back up. baja sur is not yet opening. might wanna hit mazatlan instead of la paz. we(mazatlan) are open.

ps cruising season in mexico is year round, with time outs for cyclonic events.

pps...itis NIIICE here. and SAFE
Old 03-07-2020, 10:31   #8

Happy to know you have a Countess 44. I owned and cruised my beloved Countess 44, for 33 years and my daughter has a Countess 44, going on five years....the most sea-kindly boat I have ever sailed.

Not on the subject exactly, but I'd like to share a fair weather pattern that I discovered after several trips down the coast of Ca. to Cabo. Some readers may already know this, but I'd like to pass it on for those who don't.

Santa Ana winds seem to funnel into the Sea of Cortez and result in light 15-20 knot westerlies on the outside. My guess is the strong northers, on the inside, form a barrier to the normally strong westerlies on the Pacific side.

So, if a Santa Ana is blowing hard in Los Angeles it would be a signal to head south and enjoy gentle "southern Ca. weather" on the trip. Happy sailing!

Old 03-07-2020, 12:33   #9

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

When sailing in the traditional signal to fly would be the skull and crossed bones. It is the plauge flag and was used by pirates to keep other vessels at bay.... Be prepared to quorentien on arrival. This is going to get worse not better for anyone leaving the USA so little point in waiting
Old 03-07-2020, 12:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
When sailing in the traditional signal to fly would be the skull and crossed bones. It is the plauge flag and was used by pirates to keep other vessels at bay.... Be prepared to quorentien on arrival. This is going to get worse not better for anyone leaving the USA so little point in waiting
this is a flag not approved in mexico.
quarantine is 14 days of staying voluntarily in boat and is not enforced.
believe mainstream media at your own risk as it will dummy you up nicely.
i am here in mexico..itis good here.

oh yes..if you have no m ask, they are easily bought. they are called cubrebocas.
Old 03-07-2020, 13:24   #11

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Not refuting Zeehag, she lives there many years. But my boat is in San Carlos. Guaymas has been locked down due to Covid problems. That is a long way north from where Zee is. Apparently fisherman were taking fishing excursion parties out. So the marine police are enforcing no one in and no one out. For how long no one knows. You are aware of how hot it is in Mexico now, right?
My resident riggers uncle just died of Covid. His cousin and his wife are deathly ill and there are no rooms available at the hospital. It is wait and pray time. His uncle was 63. His cousins are early forties.

There is a reason why many nations want nothing to do with gringos right now. It is called Covid. We have the unfortunate reputation as the most infectious nation on the blue planet. You can have this virus and show no symptoms... AND... be shedding it and killing other people. My rigger said people are scared out of their minds in Guymas.

If you get sick down there it is a crap shoot if you will survive. I know nothing but what he is telling me. Where zee is and guymas is ... long way. But Mexico doesn’t have quality of care that USA does. They do have some very good hospitals but they are also over burdened with Covid.

This is just me speaking. I’m not trying to judge or demand anything. Harbor in place. Just be safe at home sailing area until this calms down. I work in a hospital and not one of our 300 employees has come down with Covid yet. We are super careful. I wish you well. My rigger says no one even wants to go out of their homes right now.
Old 03-07-2020, 15:36   #12

sonora state, wherein lie guaymas and san carlos , is overburdened with cases and is closed. the border nogo-sonora is shut until july 21 due to the issue of virus--IN ARIZONA!!!!!
la paz is also high count. i said avoid those places didnt i???
.. mazatlan has 95 active cases and much fewer in hospitals. is a good place with good mds and safe harbor.
until cat 4. hahahahaha
but mazatlan is open or i wouldnot have mentioned it. sonora is closed. oopsy. too many turistas not acknowledging cuidate en casa orders. funny how that works.
also funny how closer to usa border the worse the pandemic, except mexico df and estado mexico which are the worst places. followed closely by estado sonora and baja sur.
but we are open for business and ready to play in this state of sinaloa. good thing there is a port of entry here so mexicans can make some money. they have been shut down far too long for many to survive.
ps we are safe here.
and by the way, antiviral medicines are over the counter here.
btw donot wanna go to mazatlan?? puerto vallarta is open also that gives ye marina vallarta, nuevo vallarta paradise marinas and la cruz de huanacaxtle..all open for business in banderas bay.

ps hospitals of merit in mexico are south of culiacan. thereis one in culiacan, but max=zatlan has 4, and guadalajara is a teaching hospital as is mexico df and colima. there are many hospitals in mexico not overburdened. we keep it that waay by following orders of the medical director of the state.
some of usa's best mds come from guadalajara school and mexico df school and colimas school. donot fool yourselves. mexico is not a third world nation by any means.
Old 03-07-2020, 15:49   #13

Boat: 46 ft cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
sonora state, wherein lie guaymas and san carlos , is overburdened with cases and is closed. the border nogo-sonora is shut until july 21 due to the issue of virus--IN ARIZONA!!!!!
la paz is also high count. i said avoid those places didnt i???
.. mazatlan has 95 active cases and much fewer in hospitals. is a good place with good mds and safe harbor.
until cat 4. hahahahaha
but mazatlan is open or i wouldnot have mentioned it. sonora is closed. oopsy. too many turistas not acknowledging cuidate en casa orders. funny how that works.
also funny how closer to usa border the worse the pandemic, except mexico df and estado mexico which are the worst places. followed closely by estado sonora and baja sur.
but we are open for business and ready to play in this state of sinaloa. good thing there is a port of entry here so mexicans can make some money. they have been shut down far too long for many to survive.
ps we are safe here.
and by the way, antiviral medicines are over the counter here.
btw donot wanna go to mazatlan?? puerto vallarta is open also that gives ye marina vallarta, nuevo vallarta paradise marinas and la cruz de huanacaxtle..all open for business in banderas bay.

ps hospitals of merit in mexico are south of culiacan. thereis one in culiacan, but max=zatlan has 4, and guadalajara is a teaching hospital as is mexico df and colima. there are many hospitals in mexico not overburdened. we keep it that waay by following orders of the medical director of the state.
some of usa's best mds come from guadalajara school and mexico df school and colimas school. donot fool yourselves. mexico is not a third world nation by any means.
That seems a little self-centered. We have no problems in Mazatlan (or PV) so com’on down gringos, spread your Covid to a foreign country that doesn’t have a fraction of your medical resources.
It’s a hard call if spending some yankee dollars to help the local economy will balance possibly spreading a pretty highly infectious virus which effects people with prior conditions pretty badly. I believe Mexico has very high rates of Type 2 diabetes and obesity.
Old 03-07-2020, 16:00   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateGuy View Post
That seems a little self-centered. We have no problems in Mazatlan (or PV) so com’on down gringos, spread your Covid to a foreign country that doesn’t have a fraction of your medical resources.
It’s a hard call if spending some yankee dollars to help the local economy will balance possibly spreading a pretty highly infectious virus which effects people with prior conditions pretty badly. I believe Mexico has very high rates of Type 2 diabetes and obesity.
gotta love folks who donot know how to read. i said we keep it down by quedate en casa aka following the mandates. these mandates are for EVERYONE especially self servoing gringos with disease entering a nation without regard for selves or others. there is a mandatory 14 day cuaranrtena for newbies. this is public record and findable in google search and when ye check into port, by advisement of port captain.
wake up and learn to read before exhibiting ignorance and spewing your own opinions. facts is facts quedate en casa worked so far, but itis time to open mexico , a s has been stated by the health director of sinaloa, so the nation doesnot venezuela on them.
selfishness is manifested in the responses of those who sheeple around without care and with deep self absorption and refuse to wear the masks and refuse the hand sanitizer given on entry to all offices stores and restaurants.
if you donot wish to come here, that is your own business . donot spew hatred on others by inventing their point of view instead of reading the words written. projection is a gamers and manipulators tool. recognize and ditch that tool.

-ps i am one of highest risk and protected by these mandates created by the mexican officials and estado health officials. i willnot advocate entering anywhere without FOLLOWING THE RULES OF THE STATE which i already stated are being followed.
if you are one of those who travels while ill, keep the hell away from this nation.
and next time, READ what is written., not what you interpret aka opine.
Old 03-07-2020, 18:05   #15

https://tucson.com/news/local/as-cov...b4112dbe9.html

this is the article about the tucson issue causing sonora to close.
https://tucson.com/news/local/as-cov...b4112dbe9.html
anyone coming in to any nation anytime should be more than eager to follow the regulations set in that nation.
always.
donot be an ugly gringo.
itis a shame some cannot understand this .
it is a shame everything must be explained line by line as so few know how to read without shoving their opinion into the mix.

Tags
Mexico, sail, sailing