Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2020, 10:38   #1

Boat: Allied 39
Anchoring in Coral & Floating your Chain

We have recently uploaded an article by SV Spirit of Argo with some additional suggestions by us that maybe of interest to the group.

I am sure we will get bashed as this method doesn't work, not enough holding power, chain should be on the bottom, etc etc. But I will tell you we have used this method in excess of 400 nights at anchor in various atolls in the Tuamotus French Polynesia and it does work. Not only have we sat out some drafty conditions (in excess of 45 knots) but we feel its the only way to safely protect the coral.

The most important thing to take away from this discussion is how can we as a sailing community protect coral when anchoring?

At the bottom of the French Polynesia list is the article "Floating your chain in Coral"

https://www.jacarandajourney.com/other-good-stuff

Safe anchoring

Chuck
Jacaranda
Old Today, 09:17   #2

Re: Anchoring in Coral & Floating your Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
We have recently uploaded an article by SV Spirit of Argo with some additional suggestions by us that maybe of interest to the group.

I am sure we will get bashed as this method doesn't work, not enough holding power, chain should be on the bottom, etc etc. But I will tell you we have used this method in excess of 400 nights at anchor in various atolls in the Tuamotus French Polynesia and it does work. Not only have we sat out some drafty conditions (in excess of 45 knots) but we feel its the only way to safely protect the coral.

The most important thing to take away from this discussion is how can we as a sailing community protect coral when anchoring?

At the bottom of the French Polynesia list is the article "Floating your chain in Coral"

https://www.jacarandajourney.com/other-good-stuff

Safe anchoring

Chuck
Jacaranda
Thank you for sharing this in this community! I was recently made aware of this technique by April from SV Spirit of Argo, and out of curiosity did a mathematical modelling of this technique, which you can find on my web page towards the end:

https://trimaran-san.de/die-kettenku...atiker-ankert/

At first I did not believe it would work, but the model clearly says why it does (as long as enough chain is available). I am curious to get feedback from those with practical experience whether my assumptions in this model make sense or not.

Cheers

Mathias
MathiasW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, coral, loa