Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 09:14   #31

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Long Range Cruising-Ham License Renew?

Brian,
What part of my post is unclear?
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3200960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.D View Post
The ARRL has no authority to say anything. So if you receive a cease and desist letter from the ARRL, return it after using it as toilet paper.
But, since this appears confusing....how about an analogy?

Suppose your state highway patrol decided they needed more personnel in their offices to handle their own paperwork / bureaucracy? And, due to this they found they could no longer fund most of their patrol officers....and went looking for help in patrolling and enforcing traffic laws on the highway? (think FCC instead of highway patrol)

The AAA (American Automobile Association) said they could put together volunteers that will monitor traffic cams, sending emails threatening fines and jail sentences to anyone they see violating traffic laws.....and further they'll have volunteers sitting out along the highways (and driving the highways), with their own radar guns, also sending emails threatening fines and jail sentences to anyone they see violating traffic laws....
(think ARRL instead of AAA)

And, the highway patrol (with the authority of the governor's office, and under legislative statute) has given these volunteers the authority to do all of the above....and, if the volunteer sees the alleged violator committing a second violation, they report this to the highway patrol who assess a fine, etc., and under penalty of law, this alleged violator is sent their traffic ticket / summons.
(FCC establish by US Congress....FCC Commissioners appointed by President and confirmed by US Senate)

What if some of the volunteers are racist, sexist, etc?? Or, maybe they have other prejudices, such as not liking younger drivers, or older drivers? Or, maybe they don't like loud exhausts? Or maybe some are just jerks, and liars? Maybe some falsify their reports? Etc? Etc?

What would think about all of that?

Well, as I thought was made clear above in my posting / in those links there.....this "highway patrol / AAA" analogy is pretty close to what the FCC has done with the ARRL and the Volunteer Monitoring program!

Now, in my personal opinion this is/was a VERY bad idea....and one that voiced my opposition to.....but, it is what we have now...
Truly sad.

I hope this clarifies things?

Fair winds.

John

P.S. As someone who has dealt with the FCC, their monitoring engineers, and their enforcement division, over the years (and my best friends deal with them every week or two), I have respect for the career professionals there, but also shake my head at the ridiculous bureaucracy!
And, from my own observations this whole boondoggle came about because of lazy bureaucrats in the FCC that simply didn't want to bother to do their jobs, but didn't want to quit/retire (didn't want to give up their place at the public trough!)....not because they didn't have the budget, just that they simply think the job of actually monitoring and enforcing is somehow "beneath them"!

Truly sad!

ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, license