Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2020, 15:11   #91

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Battery Cable Parallel Sizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Better fire production.
Depends if the batteries are installed on the port or starboard side.

kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 15:21   #92

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Agreed, I donít think many can charge at .4c.
But we donít know about FF yet, they havenít been out there long enough and or in large enough numbers.
Even the testing I keep seeing is over 30 cycles etc extrapolating the future based on one will recover after 30 cycles, well what about 300 cycles?
How often can I do a restoration charge? When should I do a restoration charge? How much capacity loss before a restoration charge is necessary? How many back to back deep discharges with corresponding full charges to include the 24 hr float are necessary to recover capacity?
The 24 hour float is unrealistic for cruisers, if iDeep discharge regularly I need to fully recharge and float for 24 hours every week?
What is the definition of a deep discharge?
Our 450 AH firefly 24 volt system is solar charged daily but seldom to full. I run the generator once or twice weekly, 60 amps, 28 volts. We have completed two seven month seasons in the Caribbean on anchor with the FF. I also have a similar sized Lifeline bank in reserve that is 12 years old, still good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	44F34B3E-43A1-4E23-BEB3-A305EB6A85FD.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	442.6 KB
ID:	220542   Click image for larger version

Name:	E4E014D8-6672-4FEB-8CCE-8EB9668116F3.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	441.4 KB
ID:	220543  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:50   #93

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
So your saying that you canít get the same ampacity of a single wire with multiple wires?
No, not doubling up two that have the same no. of strands verses one wire with the same no. of equal sized strands.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:00   #94
Are you serious?

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Our 450 AH firefly 24 volt system is solar charged daily but seldom to full. I run the generator once or twice weekly, 60 amps, 28 volts. We have completed two seven month seasons in the Caribbean on anchor with the FF. I also have a similar sized Lifeline bank in reserve that is 12 years old, still good.
Are they are doing good and living up to claims regarding psoc conditions?
Old Yesterday, 09:11   #95

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
A nice neat looking installation. It tells a lot about the owner.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:24   #96

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:

Have you actually capacity checked the Lifeline bank?

I’m keeping 440 AH of Lifeline as a secondary bank too, partially as if I lose one of the Fireflies, I lose the whole bank, but also they are still good, just lost significant capacity.

Interestingly they have lost capacity when I sit in a marina on 13.3 V float 24/7, not when we are cruising and cycling them, equalizing hasn’t recovered any significant capacity.
I have not done an actual correct cap check, I go by the Smart Gauge, which also tracks exactly with Lifelines voltage under load SOC chart.

Except for the loss in capacity, my Lifeline bank is fine, it still fully charges in the same time it always has, and gets me through the night easily. If I wasn’t tracking capacity, I don’t think I would have noticed a capacity loss.

The other way I track capacity is that I have to set my amp counting battery monitors to a lower capacity for them to match the SOC the smart gauge computes, I trust the Smart Gauge because it matches Lifelines chart.

Point is I think many, many cruisers have banks that are “dead” but they are large enough so that even meeting the definition of dead, they still get by.
I’d bet your Lifelines at 12 yrs old are “dead” but still had enough capacity for you so they are fine.

On edit, I notice that you have no air gap between individual batteries, do they get warm with no air circulation? Firefly specs 1” space all around each battery I think.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:31   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
No, not doubling up two that have the same no. of strands verses one wire with the same no. of equal sized strands.
Iím trying to wrap my head around what your saying unsuccessfully, excepting for derating for multiple wires in a bundle, two identical wires will carry roughly twice the load of a single wire.
There are many reasons to run multiple wires, one is if a large wire is simply too stiff, another is to stream line manufacturing stock, if you can stock one size wire as opposed to several, itís a lot easier and more efficient.
It may however take more time to run several wires as opposed to just one, itís a balancing act.

But a very short section of small wire can carry quite a lot of amps, itís when you add length you get into voltage drop. Take a fuse for example, a fuse is nothing but a very small wire, yes there is voltage drop, itís not excessive due to the short length of the fuse.

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery