Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2020, 06:20   #1
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: At sea in the pacific
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 5,296
Images: 1
25 Days at Sea - Hawaii to Washington

Some of you might want to make this passage someday. Or you might be interested in reading/seeing what a 25 day passage is like. Here is the episode on our blog, svcapri.com

here's the link:

https://svcapri.com/2020/07/21/25-da...to-washington/




hope you enjoy it
__________________

__________________
I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by

www.svcapri.com
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 07:36   #2
Are you serious?
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: currently in Jacksonville Fl
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 16,548
Re: 25 Days at Sea - Hawaii to Washington

good story

I especially like the "rubber ducky" references given that my boat name is - rubber ducky

BTW - I am now feeling better about taking the Spectra feed pump and valves off/out of that metal bracket and mounting it all separately that can be all gotten to.
__________________

__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 08:55   #3
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: At sea in the pacific
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 5,296
Images: 1
Re: 25 Days at Sea - Hawaii to Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
good story

I especially like the "rubber ducky" references given that my boat name is - rubber ducky

BTW - I am now feeling better about taking the Spectra feed pump and valves off/out of that metal bracket and mounting it all separately that can be all gotten to.
yeah, when I finally get this to work properly, I will also be throwing that damned bracket away. As I wrote, I hope the designer is sentenced to an eternity in purgatory assembling and disassembling this - preferably while at sea in 3-4 meter high waves
__________________
I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by

www.svcapri.com
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 10:11   #4
Registered User
 
Panope's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington State
Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Posts: 1,765
Re: 25 Days at Sea - Hawaii to Washington

Welcome to Washington, Carsten. Thanks for the account of your passage.

If you need any local knowledge, feel free to drop me a PM.

Steve
__________________
Panope's Modification/Refit: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...un-101572.html Videos of Anchors Setting: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ng-155412.html
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 12:45   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: DFW, Tx / Kemah
Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus
Posts: 62
Re: 25 Days at Sea - Hawaii to Washington

A well-told story, with excellent writing - thanks
__________________
Paul
It's never too late for a happy childhood. I'm on my third
pilott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 15:20   #6
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 18,958
Re: 25 Days at Sea - Hawaii to Washington

Sorry about all the trials and tribulations, Carsten and Vinni. At least there were no breakages.

I'm really interested if you'll have to quarantine in Washington after 24 days at sea, and how Customs and Immigration will handle your presence. [We have felt embarrassed, in the past, by the reception foreigners are given in the USA.]

Wishing you a pleasant stay in my sorely stressed nation of origin.

Fair winds,

Ann
__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.
JPA Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 15:33   #7
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: At sea in the pacific
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 5,296
Images: 1
Re: 25 Days at Sea - Hawaii to Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Sorry about all the trials and tribulations, Carsten and Vinni. At least there were no breakages.

I'm really interested if you'll have to quarantine in Washington after 24 days at sea, and how Customs and Immigration will handle your presence. [We have felt embarrassed, in the past, by the reception foreigners are given in the USA.]

Wishing you a pleasant stay in my sorely stressed nation of origin.

Fair winds,

Ann
HI ann,

we had no issues with either CBP or immigration. No quarantine. We were sailing from Hawaii (one US State to another US state) so our cruising license and B-2 visa were still good. Now what happens in December when our cruising license expires is a whole different story. I expect we will have to apply for a visa extension (not a problem per se, but costs $375 and is a lot of paperwork.)

The cruising license is an entirely different kettle of fish - in theory it can be extended - in practice - it can rarely be done unless you happen to meet up with a very nice CBP officer who is willing to do this.

we'll just have to wait and see. I Canada should happen to open up before then, we can run over there for a couple of weeks and then come back - but there is no sign of that happening
__________________
I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by

www.svcapri.com
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 17:39   #8
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 18,958
Re: 25 Days at Sea - Hawaii to Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
HI ann,

we had no issues with either CBP or immigration. No quarantine. We were sailing from Hawaii (one US State to another US state) so our cruising license and B-2 visa were still good. Now what happens in December when our cruising license expires is a whole different story. I expect we will have to apply for a visa extension (not a problem per se, but costs $375 and is a lot of paperwork.)

Yes. I forgot you were already in the US in HI. Silly of me. Sorry.
There are rumors going around that visas are not being processed.
However, too soon to worry about it. A lot may change after November.


The cruising license is an entirely different kettle of fish - in theory it can be extended - in practice - it can rarely be done unless you happen to meet up with a very nice CBP officer who is willing to do this.

Ask around, as you meet cruisers. Keep an eye out for a Bristol Channel Cutter called "Shaula", with Dan and Alice aboard. Very good people, long time Seattle residents. I think they're cruising in the San Juan de Fuca Sts. right now, not being able to go further north. But they have, in years passed, so may know a 'very nice' CBP officer.

we'll just have to wait and see. I Canada should happen to open up before then, we can run over there for a couple of weeks and then come back - but there is no sign of that happening
Yes, I read they anticipate closure through December.

Good luck with it. If it works out for you, hiring a car and travelling the Cascade Hwy is a beautiful drive. August is time for wild blackberry collecting, at the lower elevations, and you may find salmonberries, as well. You could do a loop, out to eastern WA, then south to Grand Coulee Dam, then along the Columbia river, but stay on the north side to avoid Portland, and back up into WA. One time, our family went camping in the Olympic Rainforest, fun place to see, so different from much of the forest in the PNW.

We were becalmed for a day or so on the HI to CA trip one time, went swimming, tried a little chumming, but were ignored. It's really different when the ocean is glassy, and you can't really see the horizon.

Ann
__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.
JPA Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 06:00   #9
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: At sea in the pacific
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 5,296
Images: 1
Re: 25 Days at Sea - Hawaii to Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Yes, I read they anticipate closure through December.

Good luck with it. If it works out for you, hiring a car and travelling the Cascade Hwy is a beautiful drive. August is time for wild blackberry collecting, at the lower elevations, and you may find salmonberries, as well. You could do a loop, out to eastern WA, then south to Grand Coulee Dam, then along the Columbia river, but stay on the north side to avoid Portland, and back up into WA. One time, our family went camping in the Olympic Rainforest, fun place to see, so different from much of the forest in the PNW.

We were becalmed for a day or so on the HI to CA trip one time, went swimming, tried a little chumming, but were ignored. It's really different when the ocean is glassy, and you can't really see the horizon.

Ann
believe it or not - since we will be stuck here at least until spring - we've bought an old used motorhome ( I know - gone ashore, become - dare I say it - a landlubber!) but only for the winter - we'll drive around the western US and be motorhome hippies, then sell the darn thing in the springtime
__________________
I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by

www.svcapri.com
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:27   #10
Registered User
 
redhead's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: PNW 48.59'45N 122.45'50W
Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
Posts: 1,225
Images: 9
Re: 25 Days at Sea - Hawaii to Washington

Welcome to the PNW!

As a transplant I can confirm that very few who weren't born here want to spend a winter season here. We've spent the last six living aboard and between the dark and the gales and the rain, its' difficult (although if I remember correctly you're from Denmark so perhaps the dark part is fine with you).

We're buying a travel trailer also, just to get the heck out of here when we need to. Seems like the best of both worlds. Enjoy!
__________________

__________________
It's what you learn after you know it all that counts...
redhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hawaii, washing, Washington

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Washington to Hawaii kylecallahan Americas 8 03-01-2019 20:01
Row from Cali to Hawaii in 45 days? Finnsail General Sailing Forum 17 18-12-2014 18:28
US Navy Rescues SV Malia off Hawaii 12 days after Mayday BlueBuddha General Sailing Forum 31 11-12-2014 18:30
Crew Available: One Male from Puntarenas, Costa Rica to Hawaii or Other Port Good for Hawaii . . . Canaan Crew Archives 0 17-01-2011 15:07
Best Time for Mexico to Hawaii and Hawaii to Alaska thuss Pacific & South China Sea 25 26-05-2010 05:58

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:14.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.