Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2020, 07:37   #1

Good First Boat

Any suggestions for a good first boat? I'll be sailing Lake Ponchatrain (New Orleans) - There is an Alberg 30 for sale not far from here. I've never sailed one before...good choice? I'd like to get to the point where I'm comfortable single-handing and later doing some offshore sailing in the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean (hopefully---eventually) - I need a good one to cut my teeth on. I've only sailed other peoples boats as a hand - never my own boat. Any suggestions?
ValmontScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:36   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Good First Boat

One that floats and isn't falling apart

Beyond that how could your question really be answered? The Alberg is good as any if you want an old tank of a boat.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:40   #3

Boat: Pearson 367
Re: Good First Boat

Never sailed on one but read a lot about them. They have a narrow beam with big overhangs which translates into a small interior space. They are known for being quite tender, healing to 20 degrees before they find their groove.

I think a Catalina 30 would do everything you want, have more interior room and is a much better sailor.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat