Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2020, 13:12   #16

Boat: C&C Mk 1 33'
Re: Lines to Cockpit / Mast

The layout of the boat makes a difference. And, will you be sailing with crew or alone? A friend had a 28' with narrow side decks and a dodger- it was a task to get to the mast. I have a 33' C&C with wide enough side decks and no dodger. Most lines that are adjusted while sailing are led to the cockpit, but I have to go forward to set the lazy jacks and to adjust the out-haul. I can see the advantage of running the tack end of the reefing line to the cockpit though. If its that rough, better to not have to go forward.

Rhwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 15:50   #17

Boat: Custom Brewer Miami 45 45' - Quetzalcoatl

I see lines running to the cockpit as a convenience thing, but not necessarily a safety thing. I'm 79 years old, have been cruising most of the last 18 years and I go forward to handle halyards, reefing and to generally inspect the blocks and lines for security and soundness. I've met sailors who treat the foredeck as a no-mans land. The truth is, that eventually you will need to to foreword for one reason or another, and it should feel comfortable to do so. If the foredeck is not familiar to you and you need to take care of a problem on a dark and stormy night, then it will be a much more dangerous undertaking (no pun intended) tha
n if you feel at home there.

Donald Bryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 18:12   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Bryden View Post
I see lines running to the cockpit as a convenience thing, but not necessarily a safety thing. I'm 79 years old, have been cruising most of the last 18 years and I go forward to handle halyards, reefing and to generally inspect the blocks and lines for security and soundness. I've met sailors who treat the foredeck as a no-mans land. The truth is, that eventually you will need to to foreword for one reason or another, and it should feel comfortable to do so. If the foredeck is not familiar to you and you need to take care of a problem on a dark and stormy night, then it will be a much more dangerous undertaking (no pun intended) tha
n if you feel at home there.
Gees Don, your on a Brewer 45, of course you fell comfortable going forward. Put your but on an under 30' with no side deck and see how comfortable you feel going forward in a sea way. If I still had my 65 schooner, I would feel comfortable going forward. On a 26, not so much. So yes, it is a safety issue as much as convenience. I'm 74... Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret MS
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:33   #19

My limited experience is that it depends entirely on the boat. I chose a boat that had good seakindly charicteristics and with reefing at the mast but with high toerails and guardrails, wide sidedecks and granny bars at the mast. I brought the jackstays towards the centreline and had tethers made ip that meant we couldn't fall outside the guardrails except right up in the bows. And then I had waist high grab bars fitted over the cabin so that there isn't an inch where I don't have something strong to hold onto on my journey to the mast. Reefing at the mast is subsequently easy and safe.
I've sailed on a few other boats where going to the mast would be a much less comfortable and safe experience and have been glad of cockpit based reefing. Except two such boats where badly arranged single line reefing means someone frequently has to go to the mast to sweat lines anyway. Usually in a hurry on boats that are not so safe for on deck work. I enjoy those sails but they make me appreciate my own boat all the more.

Differentroads is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, mast