Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2020, 10:37   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 36
Yanmar SD60 Saildrive failure Warranty service

On March 27 I purchased a new Jeanneau 490. This boat was purchased for my charter fleet of 2 boats. This is what I do for additional income and about 4wks of sailing over the season.

3 months later half way through the first charter the boat would no longer go into forward gear and had to be towed back to charter base for what I thought would be a repair which be covered by warranty. Its a brand new boat, sail drive is clearly broken, authorized Yanmar service dealer etc.

Problem 1. The authorized service dealer would not touch the SD60 sail drive due to fact form the condition of the bolts on the sail drive and there was no record of service in their Saildrive database. To make a long story short there had been warranty service while at the dealership for the same problem, before boat was sold. As it turns out this the SD60 saildrive had failed twice.

I had also discovered there was only SD60 sail drive in the continental USA. To save the next charter and 4th of July weekend I bought the Saildrive outright and paid to have it installed. I have now filed a warranty claim with Yanmar.

1.My question is has anyone else had problems with Yanmar SD60 Saildrive. Does anyone know who is the manager, VP or whatever in charge of warranty service. Also is it better to go through the Jeanneau dealer or directly who's in charge at VP level at Yanmar.

2.They have a history of problems with their Saildrives SD50. The SD60 was a attempt to solve these problems. Have others had these type of problems or rejected warranty claims from Yanmar?:

Thank You
KHJackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, saildrive, service, yanmar