Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2020, 16:30   #1

Boat: Hunter 410
Emptying the tanks

We liveaboard our boat and up to this point have mostly either been in a marina with a portable pump out or in slip pump out or we have been easily able to go out into the ocean to dump.

We now find ourselves staying in a marina with a pump out only at their fuel dock. This is not terribly difficult but means we will need to move the boat over to that dock at least once every 1.5 - 2 weeks. Obviously this adds inconvenience.

My question is, what are others doing in these situations?

I have noticed that most other boats are not going to the pump out regularly and some never. Do they know something that I don't? Are they just dumping in the marina without a type 1? Are they just holding it as long as possible then running up to the marina bathroom once per day?

I have looked into Electroscan and Purasan Type 1 systems and they look decent but have a fairly high initial cost and some big rework for me to get placed in the boat.

Any other options I do not know about?

Thanks to all and stay safe and healthy!
feudalkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 16:45   #2
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Re: Emptying the tanks

there are mobile pumpout services i our marina that drive to your boat and empty it for you based on a time schedule you set. think i was paying $35/month for once every other week pump out if i remember. now i just use the marina facilities. less hastle and doesnt cost anything.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 17:45   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: Emptying the tanks

You don't say where you are...so if you're in coastal waters it's entirely possible that others are going offshore to dump their tanks...some may have a treatment device...and there are always a few who think the rules only apply to others. But if you only have to move your boat every 7-10 days to pump out, your engine should be "exercised" that often anyway.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tanks