Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2020, 18:06   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Some thoughts and questions about my ground tackle

In a previous thread, I mentioned that my new boat came with SS chain. I had assumed it was something like Suncor 316 SS chain, but I had time to take a closer look at it today and I think it may be Duplex chain. There are markings every few feet that say Cromox, Walder, A5, and 9(or 6?). I'll try to post photos. I am going to try to contact Ketten Walder to see if they can verify what it is. My understanding of Duplex chain is that it is much stronger than 316 stainless chain, quite a bit stronger than G43 high test, and closer in strength to G70, while also being much more corrosion resistant than 316, especially in warm water. If that is indeed what it is, then I think there will be no need to replace it with galvanized chain when I start cruising further south.

Looking at my windlass gypsy and chain stopper, it seems to me that they might have been sized for 1/2" chain. The windlass seems to work fine with no slipping, but the "teeth" of the gypsy seem sort of large/loose. Also, the chain stopper groove seems like it may be large, but it also seems to work. It is likely I just don't know what to look for. If it is meant for larger chain, does it matter as long as it's working?

As you can see, I have a 77lb Spade (S160) and what looks like a Wasi swivel. I like the idea of a swivel, but would probably prefer to have a Mantus swivel. The problem is that I think eventually, I'll want to go to a larger anchor, maybe the Spade S180 (99lbs) or an Ultra 45 (100lbs) (this is just a feeling now, based on how big a lot of full-time cruisers seem to go). But as you can see, with a swivel, there's pretty much no room for a larger (longer) anchor shank. The obvious solution is to go sans-swivel. I guess I'll have some time to try out this setup and decide how much I like the swivel and whether I think I'll need to go to a bigger anchor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200722_111633.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	219812

Name:	IMG_20200722_111737.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	219815

Name:	IMG_20200722_111709.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	219814

Name:	IMG_20200722_111656.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	219813

Name:	IMG_20200722_111934.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	440.1 KB
ID:	219816

Name:	IMG_20200722_112005.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	443.4 KB
ID:	219817

Name:	IMG_20200722_112045.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	441.5 KB
ID:	219818

Name:	IMG_20200722_112052.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	435.5 KB
ID:	219819

Name:	IMG_20200722_112059.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	432.1 KB
ID:	219820
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 18:46   #2

Re: Some thoughts and questions about my ground tackle

I take it you are a "Dune" movie fan ? Looks like some very nice chain. Do you plan on using a Nylon snubber to take the load off the chain stopper in more severe conditions ?
Westcliffe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 18:52   #3

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

For the shank length issue, measure what you've got for space, or go by the dimensions of the Spade you have now. Then look at the published dimensions for other new gen anchors. You might find that one model has a slightly shorter shank than another in a given size, so that might guide you to an anchor choice based on "X fits 1 size bigger before I run out of shank clearance"
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 19:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
I take it you are a "Dune" movie fan ? Looks like some very nice chain. Do you plan on using a Nylon snubber to take the load off the chain stopper in more severe conditions ?
Haha, yeah, I was a big fan of the books and 1984 movie as a kid. I am hopeful about the new movie, but expect very little.

Yeah, I definitely plan on using a snubber most of the time. The boat came with a Mantus hook. The chain stopper will act as backup, and I will leave some slack between the windlass and chain stopper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
For the shank length issue, measure what you've got for space, or go by the dimensions of the Spade you have now. Then look at the published dimensions for other new gen anchors. You might find that one model has a slightly shorter shank than another in a given size, so that might guide you to an anchor choice based on "X fits 1 size bigger before I run out of shank clearance"
I'll check out what's available. I would like to stick with an anchor without a roll bar, because there is a removable bowsprit that bolts on to the starboard side of the anchor roller. I've looked at the spade and ultra dimensions. Based on the good reviews, I think I should also check out the sarca excel. I've heard/read almost nothing in regards to the rocna vulcan or mantus m2, so I'm not really considering them.
Old 23-07-2020, 05:17   #5

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
I'll check out what's available. I would like to stick with an anchor without a roll bar, because there is a removable bowsprit that bolts on to the starboard side of the anchor roller. I've looked at the spade and ultra dimensions. Based on the good reviews, I think I should also check out the sarca excel. I've heard/read almost nothing in regards to the rocna vulcan or mantus m2, so I'm not really considering them.

In general, the non rollbar anchors have shorter shanks, so you should be fine to stay with them. I know very little about the M2, but I've got a Vulcan and so far, I'm happy with it. Sets nicely, does fine at short-ish scope, etc. I haven't sat out a real blow to give it a proper test, but I haven't had any issues or complaints yet.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 08:52   #6

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

While I see that you are mainly talking about chain I thought I'd put my 2 cents in about anchors, and yes I realize this will probably generate a lot of comments about alternatives.
That said, I would HIGHLY recommend that when you decide to replace your Spade anchor that you seriously consider Mantus. After 20 years with a 65 lb. spade I replaced it with a 65 lb. Mantus. Believe me when I say this was a game changer for me. This is a set and forget anchor. It bites instantly and when your rode is out hold on as the boat will stop as if it were tied to a piling. Over 8 months of heavy cruising in all types of anchorage bottoms this anchor never dragged and would reset within a shanks length during tide changes. We slept soundly every night and had no concerns while ashore. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 09:52   #7

I do think the Mantus is probably the best anchor out there right now, from a setting/holding/resetting standpoint. Unfortunately I think the rollbar is too much of a problem for me, since I'd like to be able to use the bowsprit on my boat. That's why I've been so interested in finding the best rollbar-free design.
Old 23-07-2020, 10:53   #8

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

We have been using a Vulcan on our Pacific Seacraft for @ 4 years now and are happy with it. We did move up from a 25 kg to a 33 kg after we had our boat hauled about a year ago and discovered our “weight gain”. I had sized the first one for a 25,000 # boat and we were closer to 29,000
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 14:00   #9

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
But as you can see, with a swivel, there's pretty much no room for a larger (longer) anchor shank. The obvious solution is to go sans-swivel. I guess I'll have some time to try out this setup and decide how much I like the swivel and whether I think I'll need to go to a bigger anchor.
When I upgraded my anchor to one with a much longer shank I didn't have room for the swivel AND the flip link, so I removed the swivel and despite being full time cruisers living on the hook, haven't missed it.

(BTW, got rid of the flip link as well, it didn't work with my new oversized anchor)
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 21:24   #10

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

If u move up to the 99lb. Spade,(great anchor btw) be sure to measure the shank length relative to your existing anchor. Even without the swivel, u may have to move the chain lock aft to accommodate the surprisingly long shank as I found out recently.
Old 24-07-2020, 04:47   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Regarding the chain fitting your gypsy; spent hours trying to figure out the various chain sizes and types when I needed to buy new. Determined that the important thing for compatibility between the chain and gypsy is the length of the link, specifically the inside length that determines the number of links per foot. As long as that is correct then the other dimensions are secondary. Yes it would be ideal if your chain more fully filled the pockets on the gypsy but as long as you can wrap a piece of chain all the way around and each link fits inside and doesn't come up short or long then it should work fine. On my boat it came with 3/8" BBB and 5/16 G4, both of which work perfectly.

On the anchor, if you have the spare change (the company seems inordinately proud of their products) and can't live with a hoop then go with the Ultra anchor.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 09:04   #12

Boat: Tartan 37C

Following
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote