Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2020, 21:54   #16
Registered User
 
Akapeterc's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Scarborough Queensland Australia
Boat: Hunter 44DS
Posts: 266
Re: 100 Magic miles of the Great Barrier Reef: How old is too old?

I have a 16 year old book and I compare it to my mates brand-new one and except for a couple of pretty pictures it was exactly the same I had thought about renewing mine but looking at the new book and comparing it it was not worth it
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 22:11   #17
Registered User
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 7,022
Re: 100 Magic miles of the Great Barrier Reef: How old is too old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akapeterc View Post
I have a 16 year old book and I compare it to my mates brand-new one and except for a couple of pretty pictures it was exactly the same I had thought about renewing mine but looking at the new book and comparing it it was not worth it

Well, I canít ask for a better assessment than that. I assume you are talking about 100 Magic Miles? If so, Iíll put an older copy on my wish list as a backup.

But Lucas first I think, given the advice so far.
__________________
Launch delayed.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 22:17   #18
Registered User
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 7,022
Re: 100 Magic miles of the Great Barrier Reef: How old is too old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
Hi GILow From a fellow South Ozzie ...

You ESCAPED! Lucky bugger, I was ten days away from escaping SA before COVID-19 shut me down.

Looking forward to trying again this summer, Iíve been motivated by a pair of fellow South Australian escapees currently tooling around the Whitsundays.
__________________
Launch delayed.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 05:44   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Australia
Boat: Seawind 1000
Posts: 22
Re: 100 Magic miles of the Great Barrier Reef: How old is too old?

Nothing better than a book to use, however have you or anyone else considered Zulu Waterways and on line (and works off line as well) which has (in some cases) real time updates of anchorages, inlets, off the beaten track spots. What is good as it also includes what the books (older) mostly do not is phone coverage, updates amenities ashore etc etc.
I am not associated with them, I have used it and found it useful, it is also global.

https://zuluwaterways.com/map

What ever you do, good luck, cheers
geoffq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 15:07   #20
Registered User
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 7,022
Re: 100 Magic miles of the Great Barrier Reef: How old is too old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffq1 View Post
Nothing better than a book to use, however have you or anyone else considered Zulu Waterways and on line (and works off line as well) which has (in some cases) real time updates of anchorages, inlets, off the beaten track spots. What is good as it also includes what the books (older) mostly do not is phone coverage, updates amenities ashore etc etc.
I am not associated with them, I have used it and found it useful, it is also global.

https://zuluwaterways.com/map

What ever you do, good luck, cheers


Hadnít seen that one, and I am intrigued. I just tested it against a few areas around here that I know well and it appeared to be very accurate. How does it manage to provide free access to those chart databases?
__________________
Launch delayed.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 15:16   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Australia
Boat: Seawind 1000
Posts: 22
Re: 100 Magic miles of the Great Barrier Reef: How old is too old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Hadnít seen that one, and I am intrigued. I just tested it against a few areas around here that I know well and it appeared to be very accurate. How does it manage to provide free access to those chart databases?
I have no idea however it is a great feature to toggle between, if more use this and add quality notes it will benefit all users, cheers
geoffq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 16:25   #22
Registered User
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 7,022
Re: 100 Magic miles of the Great Barrier Reef: How old is too old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffq1 View Post
I have no idea however it is a great feature to toggle between, if more use this and add quality notes it will benefit all users, cheers


Well, Iíll certainly see if there is anything I can add in my area.
__________________
Launch delayed.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 03:23   #23
Registered User
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 7,022
Re: 100 Magic miles of the Great Barrier Reef: How old is too old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncanson34 View Post
Hi GILOW,
I am based on Hindmarsh Island but keep the boat (and books) at Wirrina and have (older) copies of both that you could borrow and check them out.
My first trip up there was 30 years ago and most recent 6-7 years ago. We have sailed Cairns to Adelaide twice and found both books well worthwhile.
Peter
Hello Peter, welcome to Cruisers Forum, though I feel a bit of a fraud saying that because it's usually one of the mods who do.

I'll PM you my details. If you are up in town and would like to catch up, I'd sure like to pick your brains.

Nice boat, BTW. Have sailed a few Duncs now, and I gotta say, they deal with the Gulf St Vincent better than my beamy old tub.
__________________
Launch delayed.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 03:26   #24
Registered User
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 7,022
Re: 100 Magic miles of the Great Barrier Reef: How old is too old?

Well, while rummaging the bookshelf to find out which Tassie cruising guide I had bought, I unearthed a copy of Cruising the Coral Coast. How about that! Didn't even know I had it.

Of course it's a bit old. The papyrus reeds and hieroglyphics give that away. 1988.

I'll see how it holds up. Based on what has been said here, it may be ok. Plus a bit of double checking with that Zulu Waterways site, which I have been exploring with interest and comparing to my Navionics map card in the plotter. So far, no problems found.
__________________
Launch delayed.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 14:03   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 9
Re: 100 Magic miles of the Great Barrier Reef: How old is too old?

Hi ChrisR
Planning a trip to the Queensland Reefs ourselves next month.
Found an excellent Guide by Queenslander Peter Sayre printed 2019.
Australia's Coral sea Islands and Marine Park. Covers 23 areas from Ashmore Reef in the North to Wreck Reefs in the South.
You can purchase it from Whitworths now for $50
I think this is exactly what you a looking for.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/austra...ds-marine-park

Cheers
radath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 17:36   #26
Registered User
 
chrisr's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Australia
Boat: Tasman 40' catamaran
Posts: 707
Re: 100 Magic miles of the Great Barrier Reef: How old is too old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by radath View Post
Hi ChrisR
Planning a trip to the Queensland Reefs ourselves next month.
Found an excellent Guide by Queenslander Peter Sayre printed 2019.
Australia's Coral sea Islands and Marine Park. Covers 23 areas from Ashmore Reef in the North to Wreck Reefs in the South.
You can purchase it from Whitworths now for $50
I think this is exactly what you a looking for.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/austra...ds-marine-park

Cheers
thanks ! sent you a pm

cheers,
__________________
"home is where the anchor drops"...parked on mooring at Yamba for a few weeks while we visit family in Newcastle & Sydney... maintaining social distancing !
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Great Barrier Reef

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: 100 Magic Miles & AUS 252 meggiesan Classifieds Archive 0 14-12-2014 11:04
Wanted - Great Barrier Reef and Pacific Islands Cruise graeme_caesar Crew Archives 0 21-09-2004 04:08

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:31.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.