Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2020, 10:36   #1
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1987 Pearson 33
Car position for jib sheet aft/forward

Relative newbie flying a 130 this year and trying to learn about the proper positioning of the car for the jib sheet. (Camber and twist are new terms to me as I read about it.) The "simple" explanation seems to be big wind = car aft, less wind = car forward. With so many position options along the track I'm sure there are nuances to be considered. Anyone care to weigh in with a relatively basic description of what I should be looking for?

S/V Desiderata

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea."
djousset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 10:55   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 375
Re: Car position for jib sheet aft/forward

Assuming you have telltales on the jib luff - sail upwind with the jib sheeted in and all telltales streaming aft. Slowly turn upwind until the telltales start to flutter. If the top windward or bottom leeward telltale flutters first, move the car forward a little. If the top leeward or bottom windward goes first, car goes back a little. Goal is for all windward telltales to flutter at the same time.

Once you get that, you have a base position and you can make minor (couple of inches) adjustments for wind speed like you were talking about.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 11:07   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

There are many good books on sail trim. While I'm sure you will get lots of good feedback, even the basics require a far more comprehensive explanation, with greater continuity, than is possible in a forum.

35 years into it, I'm still learning boat- and sail-specific nuances.

https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Sail-T...4749861&sr=8-2
Old 17-07-2020, 11:39   #4

Boat: Bristol 31.1

I was taught to imagine a line perpendicular to the luff of the sail, passing through the clew and down the jibsheet. That would be the initial position for the car to maintain that perpendicular line, with adjustments plus or minus for uniform wind as sandy stone described.
gansett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 12:53   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stone View Post
Assuming you have telltales on the jib luff - sail upwind with the jib sheeted in and all telltales streaming aft. Slowly turn upwind until the telltales start to flutter. If the top windward or bottom leeward telltale flutters first, move the car forward a little. If the top leeward or bottom windward goes first, car goes back a little. Goal is for all windward telltales to flutter at the same time.

Once you get that, you have a base position and you can make minor (couple of inches) adjustments for wind speed like you were talking about.

The point being to have the shape of the foot about the same as the shape of the leech.

You can also do that by eye, or by the method Gansett mentions.

All my headsails have lines drawn from the clew which lets you set it at a glance.

Headsail trim is much less interesting than mainsail trim. I adjust the clews of both my jib and staysail with barber haulers, inboard and outboard, to have some modicum of control over the angle of attack, but it's a very meagre effort compared to what you can do with the mainsail on a boom, where you can make the sail fatter or flatter, and feather it, or bite it into the wind. Headsails, unlike mainsails, are basically "on", or "off".

Tags
jib