Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2020, 04:11   #1

Sailing the Sea of Cortez

I am planning to purchase a sailboat this fall and sail south from Southern California to Baja and the Sea of Cortez. I have many questions about this and hope to find some answers here. What requirements will I need to bring a boat to Mexico and what costs will I have to endure to fulfill them? I’m sure the greedy state of California wants their share.If the boat needs work, would hauling out in Ensenada be my best choice or should I go elsewhere? When it comes to hauling out for storage in Mexico, where should I consider going? I work seasonally so I’d like to spend my winters sailing. Are there other factors I should be considering? Thanks for taking the time to reply.
CaptDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:18   #2

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'
Re: Sailing the Sea of Cortez

Haul out is near Guaymas. You will need a Temporary import permit (TIP) which is good for 10 years. Of utmost importance is for the boat's previous owners to cancel any existing TIP if they have brought it in Mexico.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, sea of cortez