Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2017, 10:56   #1

Boat: In the market for the time being!
What's the deal with Catalina27.org ?

I just bought a Catalina 27. I've asked a number of questions on the cruisersforum as well as other places. At least 10 times now I've been refered to Catalina27.org as a "a great community resource for catalina 27 owners."

Has anyone actually been to that site in recent months / years? It hasn't been updated since 2012 it would appear. But, looks like it was written in maybe the late 90s. Most of the links appear to be broken and nothing has changed in a good month or more. The "Catalina Direct", "Forums", "Reset" link etc. - all broken / result in an error page. There are a few manuals and other useful links - however, these are all available elsewhere / are from other sites. There is an application to join the Catalina 27 club with a $25 fee. Not sure why I would do that - what I gain?

I've reached out to the contacts on the site and am waiting for a response. But, is this site pretty much dead? Why does everyone keep saying it's so wonderful - seems mostly useless. I'm thinking of reaching out to Catalina and asking them to remove it from their listing / starting a new members site and forum page myself.
maplemale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:21   #2

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Re: What's the deal with Catalina27.org ?

If the site is not active anymore, you won't get anything from contacting the admins. I would suggest posting questions in an active forum, like this one. The catalina27.org might have some good info on it, so search it, but don't expect a reply if you ask a question if nobody is posting anymore.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:32   #3

I have recently had the same problem with the Tartan 34C forum and discovered that almost everybody has switched over to Facebook. I will remain a member of the T34 forum for all of the good information in the archives, but to actually get questions answered, I have reluctantly joined facebook. You might look on facebook and see how much activity there is. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:54   #4

Boat: In the market for the time being!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
I have recently had the same problem with the Tartan 34C forum and discovered that almost everybody has switched over to Facebook. I will remain a member of the T34 forum for all of the good information in the archives, but to actually get questions answered, I have reluctantly joined facebook. You might look on facebook and see how much activity there is. _____Grant.

Good suggestion -- it appears there is a fb page with a bunch of members: https://www.facebook.com/pg/catalina27owners However, just like the webpage, it's mostly abandoned since late 2011. I discovered something else. There is a semi-active yahoo group for Catalina 27 owners: https://beta.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/IC27A Who in their right mind would continue using yahoo groups?! Not sure I can bring myself to join a yahoo group... yuck.

So, I emailed who appears to be the owner of the c27 webpage. Interesting... since doing so there appears to be a "Webmaster" listed as "Open" on their contacts page. Either I didn't notice it before, or one of the owners added it. Man... this is kind of a bummer. I already have a lot of side tech jobs. Do I really want another? I'm guessing it doesn't pay well. LOL
maplemale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 13:32   #5

I agree that yahoo groups suck. I belong to an aviation yahoo group and find it so poorly set up that it is a pain, but it is the only place (that I know of) that has the antique aviation information that I look for. You might get in touch with CATALINA DIRECT in Sacramento Calif to see if there are other sources of information. They only deal with Catalina parts and seem knowledgeable. Good Luck, Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 17:15   #6

Boat: Catalina 387, 39 ft

Hi,
I have used the Catalina27.org site over the last few years on Yahoo Groups. My 27 was destroyed by a eucalyptus tree in March and a lot of chatter about that and parts at that time.
Great group and very helpful.
Michael
dolami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 17:33   #7

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I've tried several google groups and have given up on all of them. Sometimes friendly and helpful folks but the systems don't seem to work well for me.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 18:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplemale View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I'm thinking of reaching out to Catalina and asking them to remove it from their listing / starting a new members site and forum page myself.
CY has NOTHING to do with it. All Catalina boat one-design associations are compriswed of volunteer boat owners. Save your reach. If the website doesn't work, just move on. Sorry to hear they dropped the ball. I agree, Google and Yahoo groups are useless for storing repetitive information that is searchable.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 19:49   #9

Check this one as they seem to be up to date.

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...ner-forums.48/
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:56   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Michael.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 21:16   #11

Boat: Catalina 270

In August of 2016, I purchased a 1996 Catalina 270 and joined the Catalina 27/270 club (they certainly cashed my check fast !!!). I received a nice letter informing me of their quarterly newsletter. I've yet to receive a newsletter six or seven months later.

Buyer beware !

As others have mentioned here, it appears that their website / club has shutdown (except for their ability to cash your annual membership checks!)

Catalina Yachts should take some responsibility here given that their website shows you the link to this club !!!
JoeChappell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina