Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2015, 14:23   #31

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Re: Catalina 27 11 hp diesel will go how fast

But didn't they look pretty!
Yup, I pulled out the parts catalog and matched up the bolts and studs I'd taken out (or sheared) and even had a mechanic and another friend do the same! I spent a week blow torching, sea foaming, and pb blasting one recalcitrant stud three times a day before attempting to double nut it and twist it out - and it broke off under the gentlest of pressure. Bottom of the broken off part wasn't a smooth shear line, but a rusty, craggy mess!
When I told people I was pb blasting on top of the head, they warned me to be careful because it could eat the head gasket, to which I replied "good!" because that's what I'm trying to do Just ordered one of the
last tohatsu 6hp sailpro long shafts in the U.S. They're rarer right now than an honest politician due to the long shoreman's strike, but it'll get me home where I can do better by the motor.
Sorry for the drift OP, but when you have to take your 5411 apart you'll remember this thread with fondness!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 14:33   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I kind of miss the puddles of oil and bits of rust on the garage floor from my TR4A.

Hot little car when it was running right!
I just finished restoring a TR8. The looks might not be for everyone, but that was a fun car to drive. Put a grin on my face every time I took it out, and dynamically a lot better than you'd think. Makes you realise what's missing from modern cars.
Old 21-05-2015, 16:27   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Cars smarz! I am more interested in the guy that took his Cat 27 out in the Pacific at 47 degrees North! How did you do and where did you go???
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 16:45   #34

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Cars smarz! I am more interested in the guy that took his Cat 27 out in the Pacific at 47 degrees North! How did you do and where did you go???
Oh, you think there was a little thread drift?
Old 21-05-2015, 16:53   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Oh, you think there was a little thread drift?
Never bothers me but I inquiring minds want to know!
Old 21-05-2015, 17:10   #36
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

@brownoarsman (and apologies for the thread drift).
There is another way to unfreeze your head.
Remove the injectors, pack the cylinders with grease, make up an adaptor so you can connect an air hose to the injector port (one with the valves closed) and leave it attached to your air compressor. Periodically check the amount of grease in the cylinder and top as required as the grease may be getting forced by the rings or though a leaky valve. This may take weeks or in some cases 2 or 3 months but I have seen 100 year engines that have been sitting outside in the paddock unused for maybe 80 years come apart by this technique. Yes it takes a long time but it doesn't break anything.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 17:43   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by monroe0 View Post
We did 6 crossings of the Columbia river bar in our 1982 Catalina 27 with a 9.9hp outboard. Make sure of your tides, you want to cross at slack tide before the flood. Always check with the Coast Guard about bar conditions, there's a reason they have their rough water training in Astoria. Stay well clear of the spits on either side. And we preferred mornings, the afternoon chop in the bay can be quite rough.

Good Luck

Have fun.
I'm glad we've got someone here that's done it in a C27. I've done it on a Navy Destroyer and a Cheoy Lee Sigma 38. I know it can be done on smaller craft but you just need to time it right and watch your weather.
Old 21-05-2015, 18:32   #38

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

That grease is interesting. I imagine it's getting forced out of the cylinder and between the block, gasket, and head? What's a thread without drift anyways?! I'll take whatever ideas are out there

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 19:00   #39

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

I just sold a 1984 Catalina 27 with same Universal engine. Per the onboard GPS at 2000 RPMs i could make 5-6 knots depending on seas, wind, current, etc. This was w/ a 2-bladed, non-feathering prop. good luck. dave
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 09:56   #40

Boat: Newport 28 II

Quote:
I am going to assume you are not a troll....
The key to traveling the bar and beyond is knowledge of the weather, seamanship of the captain and seaworthiness of the boat. My dockmate travels the bar and beyond all the time with out using his engine. But his boat is stone cold seaworthy.
Explain this to me,
Why would you even think this guy is a Troll.
In my opinion,this is what is wrong with this fourm,people like this.
tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 11:53   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
You should have had an MGTD. Kept a unisync in the glove box. Love those SU carbs. Is this the English car thread? I may still have some Whitworth wrenches.
I think I still have a Unisync around here somewhere. Had to add oil to the carbs every other day and checked all fluids daily.
Old 23-05-2015, 12:08   #42

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I think I still have a Unisync around here somewhere. Had to add oil to the carbs every other day and checked all fluids daily.
Sounds like been there done that. Good old days wish I still had the TD. A piece of **** but probably worth something today if the termites hadn't gotten the floor boards and the bearings had been replace every 10 thousand mile.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 13:09   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyh View Post
Explain this to me,
Why would you even think this guy is a Troll.
In my opinion,this is what is wrong with this fourm,people like this.
I would be happy to explain it to you Tommy. Because my marina is one of the closest to the bar we get people asking all the time: can my Catalina 22 swing keel do well going out the bar and down to San Fran?
They often just want to ruffle our feathers. They want us to get angry and indignant about all the people the USCG has had to save along the Oregon Coast or on the Bar. The bar is the most dangerous on the Pacific in the lower 48 IMHO, and taking a 27 foot boat out that was not designed for 20 foot breakers is not wise. Everyone here knows that, so I wondered if he was trolling us. I then proceeded on the assumption that he was not a troll and said that:
1. I used to own a Catalina 27, this is how mine reacted to the breaking waves/swells.
2. I have crossed the bar many times over the last five years. I think taking a Cat 27 out there when you are unfamiliar with the conditions is not a good idea.
Until you are out here in the Coast Guard, as many of my friends are, and/or are risking your life to help those that get into trouble (as unfortunately I have) I think you have no right to judge "people like this".
Old 23-05-2015, 14:45   #44

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I would be happy to explain it to you Tommy. Because my marina is one of the closest to the bar we get people asking all the time: can my Catalina 22 swing keel do well going out the bar and down to San Fran?
They often just want to ruffle our feathers. They want us to get angry and indignant about all the people the USCG has had to save along the Oregon Coast or on the Bar. The bar is the most dangerous on the Pacific in the lower 48 IMHO, and taking a 27 foot boat out that was not designed for 20 foot breakers is not wise. Everyone here knows that, so I wondered if he was trolling us. I then proceeded on the assumption that he was not a troll and said that:
1. I used to own a Catalina 27, this is how mine reacted to the breaking waves/swells.
2. I have crossed the bar many times over the last five years. I think taking a Cat 27 out there when you are unfamiliar with the conditions is not a good idea.
Until you are out here in the Coast Guard, as many of my friends are, and/or are risking your life to help those that get into trouble (as unfortunately I have) I think you have no right to judge "people like this".
I know that bar is bad. I don't see him, the OP, being a troll? Maybe, he doesn't have a boat to cross it but it seemed like a legit question? I hope if he isn't a troll he gives it a second consideration if not experienced. I'm the troll that had the TD and contributed to drift. I don't recall him stirring the pot like most trolls?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 17:30   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't think he was a troll Cadence. I just felt that the above poster did not understand the position a small inexperienced boat puts some of our professionals in. Maybe my response was too harsh. Got to go sailing more....
I did offer to let the OP go over the Bar in my boat- that offer still stands.

Tags
catalina, diesel