Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2020, 17:01   #16

Re: Did I miss it? Certifications and training to start sailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingforfun View Post
I agree, the only piece of paper I consistently get asked for is insurance, but this is where you might encounter the problem. The insurance company will want to know what experience you have, per the vessel you want to insure. If they deem your sailing qualifications as ‘non-existent’ they will deny you insurance which will by default deny you access to marinas and other locations.

Insurance companies will look favorably on some ASA courses at a minimum.
This is true. Insurance is the hiccup, but it's kind of up to the Insurance Company to decide where your experience level is. I had quite a bit of motorboat experience that helped me because I had zero sailing experience. I had never operated a boat over 25 ft of any sort but I did have an extreme amount of confidence in my abilities living on the water all my life dealing with other boats. So I sold my house and bought a sailboat in Texas and I lived in Florida. I flew out to Texas paid for the boat and sail back to Florida..it was a 34ft cat, If you can pay for it and your balls are big enough go for it. Be prepared to have problems docking the boat at marinas that require insurance if you go that route. But definitely get the insurance if it all possible. Now all of these asa courses and everything are absolutely wonderful! Highly recommended even though I have never taken one. But I definitely will. I had the boat documented & registered and that's all you need brother besides a set of balls. Don't let nobody tell you you can't do it... if you have the confidence to operate the boat you can do it
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 18:07   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
Hi!

I'm hoping to buy a boat soon, and then load up and head south. Maybe the end of this summer, maybe next year...

One thing I'm having a hard time finding is what piece of paper(s) I need, legally and at a minimum, that say I'm allowed to do this. There is a boater's safety course in my home state of NH but it seems very motor boat oriented. I'm sure it would teach me some of the rules of the road though.

Am I so nanny-state brainwashed that I'm searching for some government agency to give me permission to do something that just isn't regulated?

I've definitely found ASA courses, the one I found in the BVI sounded amazing, but it doesn't seem like you have too take it, because it's from an association not a government.

It seems like basically if you have a state issued boater's safety card (only applicable to US coastal waters) and your non-gender-specific-genetalia is big enough, have at it. Is this right?

Please note; I'm trying to sort the wheat from the chaff here. I want to know what must be done versus what is prudent. What would I need on board if the USCG were to board me?

Best,
AT
Depending on your experience, your insurance company may want someone to sign-off that you can operate the boat. Suggest you get the ASA 101 and perhaps 103 behind you. They are good for the theory of sailing. Then hiring a master who is an instructor to sail with you on the way down. Even if you only engage him/her for a few days- that training is worth its weight in gold. (s)He will show you how to sail YOUR boat versus the one you trained on.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 18:50   #18

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Many places require a vhf licence before you use one. That’s the only bit of paper that’s absolutely required usually, if you have your own boat.
Not in the United States. If you leave the country however, you do.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
certification, sail, sailing