Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2020, 22:34   #1

Surveyor in Singapore

I'm looking for recommendations on a marine surveyor in Singapore to do an inspection on a 1996 43' steel Bruce Roberts R434 sailboat. Any advice would be greatly helpful. Thank you
Mike

Liberty Risk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 23:15   #2

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Surveyor in Singapore

Hi Liberty Risk, needs some hull work sounds like a scary statement from a broker? Whatís with the dents on the bow topsides? I like the sound of the low hour Yanmar? How olds the rigging?
Cheers

Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 23:33   #3

Wow, I didn't see those two dents on the bow! They either hit something or slammed into the pier in the past. The SS rigging was new in 2007 with Norseman threaded terminals opened, inspected and re- bedded 2015 . It looks like someone really put a lot of time and money into this boat in 2015 and that's when the hull was sandblasted back to bare steel and painted. I'm thinking the paint issues come from that bad prep.
Old 05-02-2020, 23:43   #4

You might need to start a new thread regarding the rigging? I am really interested to see what people say about the rigging being inspected, terminals re-bedded and the stainless steel wire not being replaced? Usually itís 10 years on the wire then the insurance company wants it replaced?
Where are you based Liberty Risk and whatís the appeal about this yacht?
Cheers
Old 06-02-2020, 00:17   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

In 2015 it was very difficult to get replacement cones for Norsemen fitti gs, as they we re discontinued by the original manufacturer. It is a bit easier now, as a third party is offering the cones
https://www.amazon.com/Tylaska-retro.../dp/B0764JNC19
Old 06-02-2020, 02:26   #6

Paul L thatís interesting but I wonder about the life of the wire? If just re-bedding the terminals meant the rigging wire was good again then why not just cut the swages of old rigging wires and swage them again?
Cheers
Old 06-02-2020, 02:36   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Paul L thatís interesting but I wonder about the life of the wire? If just re-bedding the terminals meant the rigging wire was good again then why not just cut the swages of old rigging wires and swage them again?
Cheers
Probably because wire isn't that expensive and perhaps you'd have to cut too far back on each end to make it work. Reheading rod rigging is somewhat popular. Here you cut the end off the rod and rehead it. Rod rigging is more expensive than wire.

The mechcanical fitting manufacturers mostly say not to reuse the cones.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:16   #8

Fore and Aft, I really appreciate your guys insight on this. I'm based in the Philippines and looking for a capable cruiser and love the pilot house this boat has. I would love to learn her history of where she's been, who made her, the type of steel used and her last survey. I'm flying out in a week or so to take a look at her and if she looks good I would like to set up a survey and see how she looks under the waterline. Been all over the place looking at boats and so far I really like the looks of this one.

Tags
Singapore, survey, surveyor