Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2020, 13:43   #1

Need advice on training

OK, time has come to ask more experienced members for help.
I have planned to start training (RYA route) this spring, so need advice on better course of action.
Since I can afford two weeks vacation, what should be better:
-take competent crew class, then sail some time and then go for day skipper
or
-two weeks, both courses back to back and then go sailing.
There is some financial benefit to doing two courses, but I will not take that in decision making.
I have a friend which is happy to take me on his boat, so that should take care of real life learning.
My thoughts are that it might be better to spend two weeks in schooling environment, to allow some good practice to set in, and to have somewhat deeper knowledge of sailing theory.
But, since I don't know what I don't know about sailing, am I right or wrong?
Thanks, Miodrag
admikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 03:30   #2

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.
Re: Need advice on training

I am a Canadian sailing instructor.
Learning to sail is not that hard. But it does take some time.
The main reason is that mother nature will not always cooperate.
I have had classes where the weather was with very light winds for the whole course.
Yes they learned how to reef and do the MOB maneuvers etc. But in easy conditions
But I ask myself would they be able to manage the boat if the got into harder conditions.
Lets say an unexpected thunderstorm, or a sudden breeze.
Some would some wouldn't

I would recommend competent crew, then some sea time then go for the day skipper.
Yes being on a schooling environment is go.
Also I always say that being the best sailor in the world does not make you the best teacher in the world.
Instructors have a different sets of skills. Structured teaching.
We are trained to teach in a certain way that helps the students learn basic technics that can then be upgraded to more advanced technics

That was my 2 cents

Enjoy
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2020, 08:21   #3

Admikar,

I second Flagman's assessment. In my opinion (I'm an RYA Yachtmaster Offshore since 1996), the ONLY weakness in the RYA system is the gap between Comp Crew and Day Skipper. You need to have time out there, sailing as a crewmember on as many and varied boats as you can get yourself on.

*Then* make the transition to Day Skipper. It's a actually quite a leap, you know. I used to teach the RYA Day Skipper courses and it's the first RYA level where you need to get your students thinking like a Captain - in charge of the boat, the crew, navigating safely, docking safely, tying up the boat securely and appropriately, picking up mooring balls safely, man overboard drills, operating a dinghy safely, operating the VHF correctly, watching the weather constantly... EVERY time I've taught the course, there were always a lot of concepts to for students integrate, especially if they had tried to go straight from CC to DS.

Remember, also, the Instructor doesn't have to "pass" you on the DS course just because you showed up and paid your money. If you try to do the excelerated back-to-backs, you may not end up passing your DS - in which case you'd need to pay for the course a second time and do the whole thing all over again.

So there's my two cents,
Best wishes and good luck!
; ) LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 03:27   #4

OK, just what I have asked for.
It will be competent crew, at least one season of sailing and then to day skiper.
To Flagman and LittleWing, thank you both for your time.
Old 31-01-2020, 03:33   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Don't know if you are still tracking this thread. But add another vote from an ASA instructor for class, go sailing and then another class.

Sparing you the numerous examples, etc. The back-to-back schedule works well for the school, but does a disservice to the student.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 04:03   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Which country are going to choose to do the training in?

The easy option is something like the med, warm, little wind (or too much to sail) and no tides.

Scotland in the Spring, likely to be wet, cold and windy, with tides.

Now; since this is training and experience you need to skipper your own yacht in the future, I wouldn't recommend taking the easy option.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 04:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Which country are going to choose to do the training in?

The easy option is something like the med, warm, little wind (or too much to sail) and no tides.

Scotland in the Spring, likely to be wet, cold and windy, with tides.

Now; since this is training and experience you need to skipper your own yacht in the future, I wouldn't recommend taking the easy option.

Pete
I'm planning to do course in Croatia, since it's 4 hour drive to the sea.
I do believe in train hard to work light, but since I need a visa for UK and Brexit happening, I would stick with Croatia, at least for competent crew part.

I'm a pilot, so, familiar with navigation, VHF, meteorology.
Old 01-02-2020, 14:12   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by admikar View Post
I'm a pilot, so, familiar with navigation, VHF, meteorology.
That puts you ahead of your contemporaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by admikar View Post
I'm planning to do course in Croatia, since it's 4 hour drive to the sea.
I do believe in train hard to work light, but since I need a visa for UK and Brexit happening, I would stick with Croatia, at least for competent crew part.
Good plan since Comp crew is all about handling the boat, raising sails, reefing, anchoring and mooring etc. That could be done anywhere.

I would hope my country would give you a visa given you have a purpose and specific dates to visit for a sailing holiday / training course and will have a return ticket home afterwards. Gib or the Canaries could be other options or even Ireland which remains in the EU. Some interesting options.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass