Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2020, 02:09   #1

Opinions on 41' Joubert-Nivelt expedition sailboat in steel

I just came across a 41' steel Joubert-Nivelt designed boat for sale on FB.

I've always been interested in Ovni sailboats because they are aluminum, have swing keels, shallow draft when up, don't trip on their own keels, skeg hung rudder, can dry out, etc. And I could afford one.

I THINK Joubert-Nivelt designed for Garcia? So this looks like a super early rendition of the aluminum swing keel expedition boats that the French are known for- except in steel

Does anyone know anything about this boat? If not, can you opine based on the info in the ad? I realize it needs work, but I'm pretty handy and (if the seller is being realistic- yeah, I know) it looks to be in the home stretch.

Bonus round: Any input on steel vs. aluminum? I've tried searching on CF about this an haven't come up with much. (user error?)

As always, thanks in advance guys.
fschaefer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:30   #2

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: Opinions on 41' Joubert-Nivelt expedition sailboat in steel

As the owner of an aluminum expedition yacht, of course I’d say aluminum.
Just consider what work you put the vessel to and the easiest way to look at this is the field of workboats.
Tugs..constantly banging into bigger stuff...steel. New Bedford scallop boats with very deep draft pulling huge metal scallop equipment...steel. Ferry boats banging into the dock...steel. A funny thing happened in the oil field. The oil rigs began drilling further and further from shore. The first aluminum boats were about 65 feet. Aluminum simply costs more than steel. With the advantages in aluminum, you began to see more and larger work boats being built from aluminum and soon the length doubled. Fishing boats in Alaska followed the trend and so military boats. But let’s put that aside because you want an expedition yacht. So take a look at new builds. Boats custom built by very experienced yards. Captain Skip Novak (spelling?) boat Pelagic, 60 something foot at over two million dollars. That’s a centerboard, twin keels would cost more. Do you think that a man who is going to spend that kind of money does not know what material the hull should be made from?
The Dutch do beautiful boats in both metals. I’ve looked at a core 10 steel boat in very good condition, but rust never sleeps. If you can get to every nook and crannie to repaint and understand major repairs are to be added to the bargain price of steel, go for it. I’ve surveyed dozens of ex oil field steel and it’s under the mid ship tanks where rust hides. You get what you pay for...period. If you want a keeper, go to France or the Netherlands, show boatbuilders your aims and budget and you’ll probably end up with a nice boat. Or you can just ignore their expertise and experience. Your loot. Till then,
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his merry band of TIG welding manatees
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:02   #3

You know what Captain Mark? You're 100% right. I used to commercial fish in AK and aluminum was the gold standard. Good point about NovaK and Pelagic and so many others. I can't afford a custom build like you mentioned (I'd be floored if I could), but there are plenty of Ovnis and similar bouts out there that tick all the boxes.

Thanks for the reality check.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:14   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

Sweet yacht, definitely a poor man's Ovni. I surveyed a steel JN41 here in Queensland and really liked it. Definitely one has circumnavigated. My only issue if my memory from 2 years ago serves me correctly is they have a mini keel so you cannot sit flat on the beach.
Steel, aluminium, fibreglass or whatever. You choose your hull material and learn to live with it's issues. Steel is my least favourite as you cannot DIY sandblasting unless you have access to the equipment. Plus sandblasting inside a boat is a major undertaking.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:44   #5

ok, so I wasn't smoking crack in my thoughts on the boat. "Poor man's Ovni" is exactly the way I saw it.

Think I'll hold out for an Ovni.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:33   #6

Steel rusts and it is a constant battle to keep up with it. We cruised on an aluminium yacht for 5 years and it was low maintenance. The only things you have to remember is the table of metals. For example, if you put a metal screw into aluminium the paint will probably blister around it. So put in a plastic grommet first and then the screw into it. If whatever you are attaching is made of metal put a rubber, or whatever, gasket on it to stop it touching the aluminium. Apart from that we found no other problems with aluminium.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:47   #7

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

They haven’t started making battleships out of aluminum have they
I’ve got steel and everything said is true. PIA to maintain but cheaper and stronger than aluminum. I’d buy aluminum in a minute except for the nagging problem with electrolysis which as noted occurs unrelated to shore side power etc I had a Land Rover body was aluminum and the studs corroded where the fasteners protruded from the body work. Ideal boat— steel hull and aluminum deck and house. Kanter in Canada built them that way.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:52   #8

I prefer steel over aluminium on my waters simply because antifouling presents a problem on aluminium hull, but no problem using copper based paint on steel hull.
Technically aluminium have better strength to weight than steel but the welded point only have about 50% strength compared to steel (almost 100%).
Of course steel rust, but it actually takes a very long time to affect their integrity.

So it depends if you want to keep it yacht like appearance.

I agree that I would also prefer steel hull/aluminium deck if I have a choice.
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 13:04   #9

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Captain Russ. It’s very true, if you want to have issues with an aluminum boat, do a lousy electrical job or moor next to a boat with hot wiring or plug into a marina with aluminum dock wires done by color blind elves. All my manatees are professional boatbuilders with USCG vessel operating and inspection credentials.
We protected our hull in multiple coats of epoxy and the hull and shaft zincs last a long time. I do not use toxic antifouling but there are non copper alternatives.
Having twin keels permits us to sit on any sandbar and bottom clean...the French and Dutch boats do the same. I can see the day when toxic antifouling will be banned but that is for another thread. It’s true battleships are not built from aluminum, but 100’ plus oil field vessels carrying 3 million pounds of drill pipe and tens of thousands of gallons of fuel, water or drill mud, operate routinely because vessel life and maintenance in aluminum prove superior to steel. The initial cost of aluminum is much higher but the lifetime costs are lower. The commercial success of aluminum in under 100’ fishing and military vessels is a pretty strong arguement. The Dutch and French aluminum yacht builders turn out beautiful vessels correctly fabricated from aluminum. Your criticism about electrolysis is unfounded with regard to these builders. With regard to longevity, may I suggest you survey yachts by Paul Luke built in Maine and sailing well into their golden years. Aluminum has one serious drawback, it’s initial cost. The seriousness and complexity of designing, building, and operating a true expedition yacht has made aluminum the clear winner.
Lastly, the original poster, an experienced commercial fisherman in Alaska has stated the most powerful and valid evidence as to the worth of aluminum vessels...they simply are the gold standard in truly dangerous waters by men who daily make their living from the sea. I respect their opinions completely.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his TIG gun twirling manatees.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 10:27   #10

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

I have two of the Meta 47 hulls in aluminum designed by Joubert. I would say anything that comes out the Meta yard is about as good a welding job as you are likely to find (and afford) whether it is steel or aluminum. My understanding is the Damien hull is the same design as the Dalu other than metals used for fabrication.
Personally I favor aluminum for so many reasons. If you compare an Ovni with a Meta Strongal built boat you will favor the Meta. Meta did not finish the interiors like Ovni did so that is one area that Ovni wins hands down unless you have a Meta that was professionally completed.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 08:19   #11

Boat: Pape 42’ Aluminum Cutter

Any other thoughts on this boat, boat design or builder "Form Ocean" from France ? I have studied Jouberts designs and I can't find any information on this one. Maybe it's a one off ?

Thanks, Dale
Northernguy59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, steel