Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2020, 13:02   #1

Boat: PERRY 43 PASSAGEMAKER
Replacement of standing rigging in AUSTRALIA

Any idea of the cost of replacing the standing rigging on a 2006 Perry 43 passagemaker. The job would probably be done in Brisbane or the Gold Coast.
Cheers
Popeye46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 14:19   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Replacement of standing rigging in AUSTRALIA

Hello, Popeye46,

Qld is about to go on almost total shutdown for an unknown period of time. I doubt you'll be able to find a rigger open for business; and he would be unlikely to be able to source wire at this time. Costs will be all over the spectrum, and re-supply, questionable.

I'd advise waiting for a while till/if things settle.

Stay well.

Ann
Old 23-03-2020, 15:41   #3

Boat: Volkscruiser

Popeye46 give Colin Quin on the Sunshine Coast a ring. I was in his workshop Friday and he is still working.
Anne brings up an interesting point about the total shutdown. I can’t see why someone in their own workshop or business can’t do their work. They are still isolated, just not at home.
I am still surveying, my kids are still going to school until they shut us down.
Cheers
https://www.quinrig.com/
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 16:13   #4

Thanks for that I was planning to have the job done on my way to the Swains from Ballina in May. I plan to be there for about 3 months, if the riggers do shut down, I ‘ll have the work done August, if they shut down the Swains I’ll head for the Flemish Cap. Either way I hope to have an idea of the costs.
Cheers
Old 23-03-2020, 22:50   #5

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Popeye46 give Colin Quin on the Sunshine Coast a ring. I was in his workshop Friday and he is still working.
Anne brings up an interesting point about the total shutdown. I can’t see why someone in their own workshop or business can’t do their work. They are still isolated, just not at home.
I am still surveying, my kids are still going to school until they shut us down.
Cheers
https://www.quinrig.com/
colin did some work for us recently at mooloolabah and he was excellent...really helpful and fair price. recommended !

a bit of a guess at cost, based on my experience over the years : standing rigging alone, say A$15k...but this could easily rachet up depending on any problems found

good luck !

cheers,
chrisr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 08:58   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

We replaced the standing rigging on a Pearson 36 and the rigger told me to buy stays a bit longer than the originals and have the chandlery install swaged eyes on only one end.

We then made a tube fifty feet long of PVC pipe wide enough to put an old stay and a new stay inside so we could measure the length and cut the new stay.

Then we just installed Sta-Lok fittings on all the lower ends of the stays. Keeping the swaged ends upside down at the top of the mast or the middle of the mast would cut down on the rain, seawater and ice that would trouble the swages.

I bought the stays from Defender in the US along with 8 new bronze and stainless turnbuckles for around $4000. Took less than a day to change all the stays and install a new roller furler.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 13:15   #7

Boat: Phantom 32

Good idea to have the swages up top. Don't understand what the PVC pipe was for
Jono as 2234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 14:11   #8

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

I just had my rigg replaced with Dyneena, cost is about the same with the right rigger, lookup Peter Grieg, I can send you his phone number in message if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye46 View Post
Any idea of the cost of replacing the standing rigging on a 2006 Perry 43 passagemaker. The job would probably be done in Brisbane or the Gold Coast.
Cheers
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 15:07   #9

Boat: Spacesailer 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono as 2234 View Post
Good idea to have the swages up top. Don't understand what the PVC pipe was for

I would guess that it is a way to tension both the old and the new together so you can accurately measure the length before cutting/fitting. A bolt or similar through the eyes at one end. Not needed if you have a large workshop, but not a bad way of doing it if you are working in a limited space.
Kudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 15:31   #10

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
I just had my rigg replaced with Dyneena, cost is about the same with the right rigger, lookup Peter Grieg, I can send you his phone number in message if you like.
long term i've some interest to do the same. how do you plan to handle the creep / stretch problem of dyneema ? did you consider dux ?

cheers,
chrisr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 16:07   #11

Peter Greig. Local guru for synthetic rigging. Really knows his stuff.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 19:17   #12

Hi Popeye 46.

We have a Perry 43 also, in the Solomon Islands looking to get back to Australia in the coming weeks.

David Lambourne (0418875386) at Lytton, Brisbane did the Rigging for most of the Perrys
Gary Saxby - UK Halsey sailmakers (0419677468) has a loft at Cashmere, Brisbane replaced our standing rigging in 2015 before we bought the boat.
Don't know what the costs are, try giving them a ring for a quote.

We had our Starboard shroud replaced (with good condition used once) for half price (25,000CPF) approx $377Aust
Also our Seagull striker wire (61,000CPF) approx $920Aust.
Both done in New Caledonia last year. These prices maybe not too helpful to calculate prices for Australia though.

Cheers
Redfred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 23:45   #13

Thanks for the info, I’ll give David Lambourne a call. I am curious to know if you will be allowed back into Oz. I had planned to sail to Samurai for 3 months in June and have the rigging replaced in the Gold Coast (Boatworks) or Brissy on the way. However I heard that I may not be allowed back into Oz, plan B go to the Swains.
Happy Days Sailing
Old 25-03-2020, 00:37   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Putting the old stay and the new stay with one swage only into a long 4" PVC piple (as long as the longest stay) allowed us to lay the old stay and the new stay parallel to each other and that allowed us to cut the new stay to the length needed before the Sta-Lok fitting was installed.

The pipe kept the stays parallel and out of the dirt. We needed quite a few sawhorses however.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 02:36   #15

We're Australian citizens on a Australian registered boat, so at this point in time as far as we know we can still sail back to Oz. We have to do the 14 days quarantine and the passage time is included in that.

Initially we wanted to head south to Vanuatu for the season, our second option was to head north to PNG, both countries have closed their borders, as have just about every country.

if we're left in limbo, maybe we'll head for the Swains, great diving!!! see you there....
Redfred1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, men, rigging