Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2017, 08:33   #1

Boat: Morgan NA 40
Morgan North American 40'

My wife and I have been sailing on Lake Ontario with our O'Day 30 and recently decided to upgrade. We are planning to buy a 1979 Morgan NA 40 and to sail up and down on the east cost (Canada to Florida) including Caribbean in short term and maybe more extended sailing across the Atlantic in long term. We decided to buy this boat primarily for spacious interior in such a good condition (thanks to former owner's hard work and being that handy, my wife likes it), he did a great job on it. The draft of the boat (7 feet) maybe a concern for us around Caribbean but stability comes with this compromise and I believe we would rather appreciate this feature if we decide to explore more than Caribbean.

The boat design intended for off-shore racing (at least that is what I am told and can see when I look at the boat) which I believe makes it a good offshore cruiser as well. When it comes to be tender as we heard from some other sailors, yes this may be a problem as the boat has a long mast and much power due to its big sails but I believe we can manage the excessive heeling by reducing the sails (any other thoughts or advice will be great on this issue)

Deck was professionally rebuilt 4-5 years ago and has only small spider cracks on gel coat around one stanchion (at exits as I call it) on both sides and on the edge of the stern where deck meets with the hull. I plan to repair them next summer with the paint on the hull (the paint is in good condition but there are small chipped parts on starboard and port sides at the beam of the boat). The mainsail traveller is in the cockpit which is a problem according to my wife but I believe this comes with advantages for close haul sailing capabilities so won't touch it. We will also need enclosure for the cockpit (no Bimini top or dodger)

Survey is still in progress as our surveyor will wait 10 days for the hull to dry out before measuring the moisture levels on the bottom of the boat. He said other than this, there is no structural problem on the boat and the boat is in good condition regarding to her age. The door of the head gets stuck when the mast is down (we are told that this is normal and when the mast is in place no issues) Of course as any other boat we need to do more like adding electronics or have other issues that should be addressed according to our needs but at a very reasonable price (mid 20000 CAD) and in such a relatively good condition, boat looks a good fit for us and our future plans.

I am looking for somebody who has any kind of experience on those boats. I would appreciate any feedback as I couldn't find much about them.
Kaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 08:50   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Morgan North American 40'

Welcome aboard Kaan. I don't know that boat but if it were me I'd be sure the surveyor gets a really good look at the rudder post and quadrant and cables (that's for any spade rudder for me, but that is my quirk.) You didn't mention the engine and that is a BIG one IMO to get all info on. Good luck! Oh, that deep keel will give her better windward performance than most of your neighbors but yes it may be a bit of a liability in the Caribbean, you'll need to plan for it of course.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 16:04   #3

Boat: Morgan NA 40
Re: Morgan North American 40'

Thanks Don, however we change our mind and we will take our time, still looking for our perfect boat
Kaan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan