Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2012, 12:41   #1

Boat: SeaPearl 21 - Thurston
Argentina/Uruguay Customs

We are looking to get some parts for our motor mailed into either Buenos Aires or Montevideo. Can anyone tell us what kind of hassles we can expect? Does either country honor the "yacht in transit" exemption on customs duties? We intend to have the parts mailed by a friend from the states along with some other personal items. What kind of process can we expect and what mailing service would you recommend?

Thanks!
marshappynation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 13:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Argentina/Uruguay Customs

I have a friend in Monevideo and he does not recommend regular mail at all. He just got back from a trip to the US and the airlines lost his luggage. He didn't want the airline to mail the compensation check to him in Uruguay as it would be certain to disappear. He asked if we could receive the check and then wire transfer the money to his company account.

I think DHL or FedEx might be better but I can ask him what he would recommend. Not sure if he would know about the duty exemption for a yacht in transit. I can ask him about this as well if you like.

No idea about Buenos Aires but as it is just across the river he may have some suggestions there as well.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 13:07   #3

Boat: Journeyman

No first hand experience, but people in the yachting community here in Uruguay say Argentina is basically impossible. Uruguay will charge you but it's workable. Better if you get a handling agent, in transit could work.

There's a large new-built motor yacht next to me still being built. The hull was made in Argentina but they do all outfitting in the water here because it's easier to get parts.
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 14:08   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshappynation View Post
We are looking to get some parts for our motor mailed into either Buenos Aires or Montevideo. Can anyone tell us what kind of hassles we can expect? Does either country honor the "yacht in transit" exemption on customs duties? We intend to have the parts mailed by a friend from the states along with some other personal items. What kind of process can we expect and what mailing service would you recommend?

Thanks!
I have had parts shipped both places. Neither typically honors 'yacht in transit'*. Argentina can be a nightmare, while Uruguay can be expensive but is dependable. We got a North Sail shipped, and their loft is in Buenos Aires, but they said we should get the sail shipped to Uruguay as they could not guarantee it would arrive if shipped to Argentina. They used one of the package delivery services - I think DHL but I can't remember for sure.

*edit . . . but very occasionally, every blue moon, someone does successfully get a delivery with 'yacht in transit' honored. We got some batteries into Ushuaia, using a local contact, and they came successfully yacht in transit, but other boat tried to do exactly the same thing 2 weeks later and were completely unable to make it work.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 14:32   #5

Argentina is a complicated case these days. Their policies to survive the global financial crisis survival involve limiting foreign goods to foster their national industry and at the same time avoid spending foreign currencies. This will not change soon.

In Uruguay at the time there are not limits to importation. "Ships In transit" should not be charged taxes, but the customs people are not easy to deal with. You have to use an agent ("despachante de aduanas") that charges a big chunk of money for little work. They handle all the dealing with customs, the good and the bad. All and all, think a minimum of 30% over the cost (product+shipment) in fees.

In Montevideo I recommend asking the help of Bermúdez (chandler) at the yacht club at Puerto del Buceo. In Piriápolis there is another helpful chandler (speaks French and English), Martins, a few blocks from the harbor. In some cases might be cheaper buying thru them.

Diego
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 14:22   #6

Boat: One-Off 38" steel sailboat
Send a message via Skype™ to nemoofsweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpons View Post
In Montevideo I recommend asking the help of Bermúdez (chandler) at the yacht club at Puerto del Buceo. In Piriápolis there is another helpful chandler (speaks French and English), Martins, a few blocks from the harbor. In some cases might be cheaper buying thru them.
Diego
I'm looking for a chance to do a repowering down south (at the moment in south Chile) and so far only had bad luck with getting the right contacts for a motor import. I will DIY. Argentina seems to be off the map this year, last year it was still possible but now even the companies advice me to shop elsewhere. Do you, Diego have any info for me? Please PM me if so! Thanks

2012/13: Cruising Patagonia
nemoofsweden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 21:05   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Try contacting Alwoplast in Valdivia. They may be able to import an engine for you at reasonable cost. I guess its worth a try anyway.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 21:18   #8

Boat: One-Off 38" steel sailboat
Send a message via Skype™ to nemoofsweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Try contacting Alwoplast in Valdivia. They may be able to import an engine for you at reasonable cost. I guess its worth a try anyway.
I have already contacted Alwoplast by email a few times some months ago without any reply. This was when the plan was to cruise the east coast, but with a motor like mine beating all the way up the channels dont seams too fun. I guess I have to give them a call (if I could find a good phone)

Thanks!

2012/13: Cruising Patagonia
nemoofsweden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Argentina, customs