Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2016, 07:24   #1

Boat: 1975 CT-41
Ecuador (Galapagos), Peru & Chile

We are cruising on the west coast of Mexico now and are considering exploring some of the west coast of South America. We are finding information to be much harder to come by compared to other parts of the world. Does anyone have any recommendations for good sources of information? Anybody know of anyone with a good blog from that region?

Thanks!
Briandownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 23:48   #2

Re: Ecuador (Galapagos), Peru & Chile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandownsouth View Post
We are cruising on the west coast of Mexico now and are considering exploring some of the west coast of South America. We are finding information to be much harder to come by compared to other parts of the world. Does anyone have any recommendations for good sources of information? Anybody know of anyone with a good blog from that region?

Thanks!
Hi, Still interested?

If not then for others.

We are in mainland Ecuador at the moment juli 2016. We only visited Manta till so far bij boat.
Check in with agent B.O.W.S.A was easy for 300 usd flat rate, all inclusive for 3 months visa. This is the biggest agent that is used by all commercial boats and fishingboats. We tried to check in our self at customs, imigration and harbor master but non excepted it and sended me to bowsa. Galo at bowsa speaks good English.
You need to have your zarpe, crewlist, boatpapers and yellow fever in your yellow book and for the rest nothing. No fumigation no other things.
You need a zarpe for every equadorian port you leave and visit. You don't need a agent for your local zarpe but in some ports they tell you that you do need a agent. I have been checking other ports by bus to look for haulout facilities and asked about regulations so that's why i know.

You can get a Manta Manta zarpe for 25usd that alows you to navigate all ecuadorian waters for 30 days and anchor where you like except the river of Guayaquill. You need a expansive pilot to navigate that river.
With the Manta/Manta zarpe you need to come back to Manta.
Manta is nice and safe place with very friendly people, not one negative experience till so far. No other tourist or sail tourists here. Good protection from wind and seas. No boat clubs and those kind of things but the anchoring is good between the wooden fishing boats.
Prices for food and things are the same as Panama. We thought that it would be much cheaper. Alcohol cost double compare to Panama. Diesel and gasoline is cheap. Haul out is expensive for us.

Income for a hand a worker like a carpenter is 35usd per day.

About Peru. Most of the time you get the best info when you get close to a country you like to vised. I was looking at Peru to go there but i skip it. The fisherman and other people from here warned me that they have experienced lots of trouble with authorities. Also stories from sailors online made me decide not to go. But i am not very advantures compares to others, so decide for your self once you're in Ecuador.

Hope this is usefull.

Regards, mark
Mark10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Chile, Ecuador, Galapagos, Peru