Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2020, 20:51   #1

Boat: Hylas 54 #42
Queensland Australia - Bundaberg to the Whitsundays, GBR and more

I'm reposting my original crew wanted message since I have been able to sail the boat to Queensland and am currently headed to the port of Bundaberg. I plan to stay in Queensland until the Cyclone season forces me to sail back south, likely headed to Tasmania and then New Zealand. It is possible going North of the cyclone zone could happen but that would depend on the situation with Covid and access to other countries.

In Queensland, the plan is to sail the various Island chains north to at least the Whitsundays. Knowledge of this area would be a bonus.

It would be ideal if you are already in Queensland and if not, you must be able to travel to Queensland.

My original crew wanted posting is below and contains many details of my boat, plans and desired crew capabilities.

I'm looking for a crew member to share the trip from the Sydney Australia region (Pittwater Bay) initially around Sydney and then north up the east coast to the Whitsundays, Great Barrier Reef and Cairns. At that point, it will be a joint decision to choose the next destination which could be New Caledonia and Polynesia, Indonesia, continue to circumnavigate Australia or many others. My long-term plan is to slowly go around the world.

The boat is a 2006 Hylas 54 which has been well outfitted and has had an extensive refit to bring all systems back to full working order. equipment.html" target="_blank">Safety-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-equipment including a new EPIRB, life raft, VHF and HF radios, AIS, etc. are onboard. The boat has a large battery capacity, panels.html" target="_blank">solar-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-panels, genset and water maker, refrigerator and freezers along with large diesel fuel capacity to be self sufficient for long trips. There is a full inventory of sails and sail handling equipment including electric primary and secondary winches, mainsail boom furling, furling.html" target="_blank">roller-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-furling genoa and staysail and code zero and a downwind spinnaker with pole.

I'm looking for an enthusiastic, adventure seeking and physically fit man or woman with offshore experience who is ready to share in all aspects of the voyage including watches, navigation, weather analysis, cooking, cleaning and daily maintenance.

As crew your opinions will help shape the voyage plan. You will be expected to share in sailing, watchkeeping, boat maintenance and most other onboard jobs.

It is expected that you will pay for your own onshore expenses and share in any sightseeing costs for onshore excursions you participate in. You will also contribute your share towards on-board food, fuel and mooring/docking costs and will be consulted whether we anchor or incur the expense of a mooring or marina.

Being safe, having a good time and enjoying the adventure are the most important priorities. I expect you will respect the authority of the Captain but will suggest a better solution to a problem if you think you know one. We are all learning and there’s lots to know about sailing.

I am a 60-year-old man and have recently retired from the IT industry. I'm now ready to embark on my life-long dream to see the world by sailboat taking the time to fully enjoy the trip and destinations. As much as possible, passages will be planned to take advantage of good weather windows and no unnecessary chances will be taken. It is important to me to have a happy, fun crew wanting to explore new destinations, cultures and experiences.

My experience includes extensive sailing during my youth with CYA (now Sail Canada) sailing certifications including instructor certificates. I taught sailing for many years and races extensively at a high international level. More recently, I obtained Sail Canada cruising and navigation certifications and IYT International Certificate of Confidence certification. I have been living aboard and sailing in Australia Pittwater / Broken Bay / Tasman Sea region since mid January 2020.

Outside of sailing, I also enjoy SCUBA diving, hiking, and nature and prefer off the beaten path locations.

If you are interested in the crew position, please contact me by personal message on this forum and we can exchange contact details.
jdtcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 18:50   #2

Re: Queensland Australia - Bundaberg to the Whitsundays, GBR and more

Good day,

I enjoyed reading your post, and your other prevoius posts.

I would like to volunteer my services.

I am working in Perth, WA as an offshore field Engineer in O&G.

I am 30, fit, enjoy the water immensly, make a fine cup of tea, and easy going (I am told).

I am attempting to complete my yachtmaster coastel and would welcome the oppertunity to build up some miles. With the longer term plan of getting my own boat and sailing it on a trip.

Please get in touch with me:

george_frankpitt@live.co.uk

ttfn,

George
gman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:27   #3

Boat: Hylas 54 #42

I sent you an email message with contact details George.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman52 View Post
Good day,

I enjoyed reading your post, and your other prevoius posts.

I would like to volunteer my services.

I am working in Perth, WA as an offshore field Engineer in O&G.

I am 30, fit, enjoy the water immensly, make a fine cup of tea, and easy going (I am told).

I am attempting to complete my yachtmaster coastel and would welcome the oppertunity to build up some miles. With the longer term plan of getting my own boat and sailing it on a trip.

Please get in touch with me:

george_frankpitt@live.co.uk

ttfn,

George
jdtcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 22:48   #4

Hello jdtcanuck,
I'm in Bundaberg and interested in contacting you regarding your post for crew. My email address is donnavenna@yahoo.com
I look forward to hearing from you,
Thank you.
DonnaM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, queensland