Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2020, 11:21   #1

Thoughts on a 1976 Columbia 32

i am looking at a Columbia 32 on Thursday 8/13/2020 and looking for any advice on this boat as a first sailboat purchase. plans are to spend a few years sailing locally and making necessary upgrades before cruising the Caribbean.
Chiroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 13:05   #2

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia
Re: Thoughts on a 1976 Columbia 32

The boat is fully depreciated, however fiberglass hulls of Columbia's of that era were well made. Problems would be:
Age of standing rigging, age of engine, keel bolts, thru hull fittings, rudder pins.
Nothing $15,000-35,000 dollars wont cure.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2020, 08:55   #3

Boat: Samson C-shell 36

Hope it works out for you Chiroot. Great first boat. Surprisingly roomy with impressive head room.

We have a Columbia 36 were currently undergoing retrofit. What does this one have for an engine?

I believe these came with a petrol atomic?

Your on the right track to use the boat before commencing with any upgrading etc.
Chayal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:24   #4

OK. I will play, since the OP decided to run. I just bought one for numerous reasons, the least of which being noble. Regardless, I have sailed most of my life, but never been involved in the technical end of it, if that makes sense. I'm retired Navy and we always just picked a Calalina up at the dock and took it away for the weekend, then dropped it off. Then before that, growing up, just sailed my folks boats, never having to rig or fix, or learn. Now I have to.

I've already learned that this boat is a Columbia 32, instead of the 9.6 that it was told to me when sold to me, by cross referencing the HID (after the sale). Honestly, I am not upset about that and I am certain the Coast Guard will not care and will be corrected on the documentation exchange registration paperwork and change of healing port, etc.

Somewhere along the line, they've had a "central" heat and ac unit installed in the second closet down the starboard side from the v-berth, using sea water cooling and it seems to work fine. Not sure, yet, about power, but probably only shore, so a generator for longer runs from the dock.

Zero running lights, so gotta buy LED's(s) for replacement bulbs?

They've taken the holding tank out!!! I will just take advice on that one. I am Coast Guard Aux and know that I am illegal from the time I leave the dock until I am more than 12 miles out without a holding tank. So, any help is great. Somebody recommended a 15 gallon bladder under the sink?

The power is a good running Yanmar 3. I took her out in the ocean for a sea trial and got up to 6.7 knots GPS speed for about 30 minutes, then got the overheat alarm. Dropped down to 3 knots and she caught up. That was with a VERY dirty bottom and I had it cleaned a couple days ago.

No soft spots and deck paint is in good condition, but needs below waterline paint. Also, the through hull for the wastewater (I think, all of it) has a steady stream leak. So, yes. I will have to haul, soon.

One bilge pump runs for about 3 seconds, every 30 seconds, which would be that through hull, plus some condensation.

Ports are all in good shape, but not maneuverable.

Icebox is in good shape and operable. Not sure what happens, there, when I get underway.

There is a countertop oven and microwave stacked in the port galley cutout. I've been told to put a fridge there and move those to the starboard side, but the icebox seems to work fine and takes up a lot of space to just duplicate. Maybe a dual power chest freezer, but uou can put that anywhere.

Anyway, I'm hoping to crank up some input. All I can get. I will provide any pics you want. I do, for sure, need a replacement stanchion. The one right next to where you board on the starboard side, forward.

Thanks for any help!! (not Goin' anywhere)
Rum_Belly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:05   #5

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Rum_Belly-
Congrats on the boat, welcome to CF.

I would get the leak taken care of first. 6 seconds of pump every minute is a lot, what happens when pump or power fails? You don't want to be the guy with the boat under water

Lights- I bought regular bulbs for troubleshooting mine, often they are a marine base (two pins, shell not grounded) and not the automotive ones that look similar. Have you checked if the current bulbs are OK and that there is power to the fixtures? LED's are a bit of a hot button: Lower power consumption, look brighter, but not approved as drop-in replacements if you are going 'by the book' (replacement bulb to match original type of bulb used to certify fixture) and some of the lower quality ones throw some RF interference. Warm white LED's 2700-2900K are a closer match than 5000K cool ones.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:04   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

You can always go with a porta-potty for now until you get a holding tank.

Your experience with the overheating diesel suggests you have a cooling problem in the engine. If the bottom is dirty maybe growth is blocking water intake. My friend with a raw water cooled Volvo had a similar issue and we cleaned out the whole engine and it turned out to be the seacock was broken and jammed in a half-way open position. It SEEMED to be opening and closing when we turned the handle but not until we really looked in there at haul-out could we see that.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Rum_Belly-
Congrats on the boat, welcome to CF.

I would get the leak taken care of first. 6 seconds of pump every minute is a lot, what happens when pump or power fails? You don't want to be the guy with the boat under water

Lights- I bought regular bulbs for troubleshooting mine, often they are a marine base (two pins, shell not grounded) and not the automotive ones that look similar. Have you checked if the current bulbs are OK and that there is power to the fixtures? LED's are a bit of a hot button: Lower power consumption, look brighter, but not approved as drop-in replacements if you are going 'by the book' (replacement bulb to match original type of bulb used to certify fixture) and some of the lower quality ones throw some RF interference. Warm white LED's 2700-2900K are a closer match than 5000K cool ones.
Thanks, Don! Yeah, definitely noted on the leak. Now that I've s, further, it's more like 3 seconds every 45 minutes and, again, that's with heat running and a lot of condensation. There has to be a haulout prior to early summer, however, because it looks like we are already planning to start outfitting for the short ten to the Bahamas, as a 3 boat caravan.

I'll do the fittings and the paint and any other advised upkeep during that drydocking.1

Point well taken on the lights. The thing I like most about LED's is the life, but I don't want to haul myself up there to find out it doesn't work in the socket.

Thanks a bunch!!!
Old 11-12-2020, 08:24   #8

My apologies. That was a reply to Spot.
Old 21-12-2020, 09:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
You can always go with a porta-potty for now until you get a holding tank.

Your experience with the overheating diesel suggests you have a cooling problem in the engine. If the bottom is dirty maybe growth is blocking water intake. My friend with a raw water cooled Volvo had a similar issue and we cleaned out the whole engine and it turned out to be the seacock was broken and jammed in a half-way open position. It SEEMED to be opening and closing when we turned the handle but not until we really looked in there at haul-out could we see that.
Thanks, Don. We'll, the bottom was horribly dirty and the intake was very blocked, however the valve was open, but no doubt water was being hindered.

Holding tank installed...
Old 21-12-2020, 10:11   #10

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum_Belly View Post
My apologies. That was a reply to Spot.

No worries, I was able to follow along. Glad to hear you are making headway...is that an awful pun about a holding tank ?!?
Old 21-12-2020, 10:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
No worries, I was able to follow along. Glad to hear you are making headway...is that an awful pun about a holding tank ?!?
Haha! No. I put another one in. (I had to think about that a bit. Lol) BoatUS Geico requires a survey for this age boat and they have my other boat and all my other policies, so I have scheduled my survey for the week of January 4th. That'll be interesting. I don't even have a clue what they check in a survey.
Old 21-12-2020, 11:16   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If your boat is an at the dock live aboard then the all electric galley will work. If you are going to do any cruising will have to go with a fossil fuel cooker or carry a generator. Think the advice to swap sides on refrigeration and cooking involves tearing out the old Ice box and using the space for a gimbaled stove/oven and building a space for a 12v portable frig where the old stove used to be.

Your head is legal if the discharge through hull is disabled. Have heard of using a zip tie to keep through hull valve being opened but to be safe would go with chain or something that couldn't be cut with a dull knife.

My Yanmar 3GM30f began overheating about a year after haul out. Thought for sure it was the notorious mixing elbow causing the problem and spent more than $300 changing it only to discover the raw water seacock was blocked by a critter who'd made it their home.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 12:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
If your boat is an at the dock live aboard then the all electric galley will work. If you are going to do any cruising will have to go with a fossil fuel cooker or carry a generator. Think the advice to swap sides on refrigeration and cooking involves tearing out the old Ice box and using the space for a gimbaled stove/oven and building a space for a 12v portable frig where the old stove used to be.

Your head is legal if the discharge through hull is disabled. Have heard of using a zip tie to keep through hull valve being opened but to be safe would go with chain or something that couldn't be cut with a dull knife.

My Yanmar 3GM30f began overheating about a year after haul out. Thought for sure it was the notorious mixing elbow causing the problem and spent more than $300 changing it only to discover the raw water seacock was blocked by a critter who'd made it their home.
Wow! Hope the critter was tasty! Yep. I'm an auxiliaries, working on my VSE and have excellent mentors guiding me, in that area, so cable lock applied! Thank you! Maybe we work towards making this an Operational Facility, like my smaller motor vessel? Nah.

It seems the manufacturer has made arrangements for customizations! (picture attached of aft port side) The previous owner has this small wattage microwave and nice toaster over stacked in this space that could easily be replaced with a denatured alcohol oven/burner combo unit and there just happens to be a used one for sale in this marina. This other option would be to move the two of these to the starboard side and put a dual voltage fridge/freezer here. I'm happy with my classic icebox, actually. Lol. Maybe a 12v freezer, someday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201221_152630.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	229077  
Old 05-04-2021, 07:08   #14

Replaced raw water impeller and added external 12v fridge, but still haven't bought replacement cooking facilities. At least, for now, I'm able to do local single day sailing. I do have a nice propane generator that would do for a weekend, if I wanted to, but still thinking out the longer term solution. Like the boat, though.

Tags
columbia