Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2020, 20:42   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to WilliamT
Searunner 40

I joined Cruisers Forum today. Some 28 years after my serious sailing days around the globe. The last time I contacted John Marples was in 1992. We were looking at implications for the SR40 design if it was made from composite material. I no longer have contact with John and so my immediate queries are1) Does anyone know when and where was the last SR40 made? And, who built it? (2) Is there any boat builder still in business that has built a SR40? And, has a blueprint to build another? (3) Has anyone made a SR40 (or SR37) with composite materials? I have sailed a fair few multihulls, but after spending time with a colleague, a one legged Scotsman on Dinks Song (SR40), despite 3 decades passing, the comfort and ease of handling all aspects of cruising, including safety, from the centre cockpit still holds a place of the utmost importance and common sense to me. I am a new member so I hope this is an okay way to start in the 'multihull forum'? WT
WilliamT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 22:36   #2

Re: Searunner 40

https://www.searunner.com/index.php/designs
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 05:06   #3

We have a Searunner 34 that was built in Airex/glass. It was built by an employee of Knight and Carver for him and his family. It was the 2nd Searunner he built, the 1st being a 37 in traditional plywood. We were told by John Marples that a few different boats were built in composite, but most were dreadfully overweight. I would think these days it construction knowledge and access to modern glass fabrics it would be easier to build one accurately and light. Still, they're pretty old designs and John has updated ones that might be more suitable.
Tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 05:20   #4

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamT View Post
(2) Is there any boat builder still in business that has built a SR40? And, has a blueprint to build another?
Doug Jayne has built a CC40, Traveler, designed by John Marples in composite construction. She has now been sold, but Doug might still be in business. Jaynes Marine or Jaynes Maritime in Virginia.
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 05:36   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Marples lives in Maine now near the woodenboat school. He and Jim are both still available to consult as are plans for all designs. Last boat I know of was a SR under construction in Brazil. Probably only one in last 15 years.
Old 19-02-2020, 11:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Last boat I know of was a SR under construction in Brazil. Probably only one in last 15 years.
There have been or currently are several CC44z under construction. One in Texas and one in New Hampshire. Check out the Searunner Thread as well as this one:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...wd-208206.html

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
Old 19-02-2020, 13:36   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Yep, some guy in TX about 20 years in. I was referring to play original Searunners. This is info direct from Marples. But if there is one being built, I hope to see it some day! I've owned a 34 and done extensive refits on several.
Old 20-02-2020, 10:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Last boat I know of was a SR under construction in Brazil. Probably only one in last 15 years.
You mean this one?

ind
Old 23-02-2020, 21:34   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to WilliamT

It has been 5 days since my first post, and thanks to NevilleCat, Tusitala, Longjonsilver and Boatguy30 for the leads and information. I have much reading and follow up to keep me busy. If I want to see the Great Barrier Reef in my own SR40 (maybe 37?), in comfort and style then it looks like I am going to have to build one. Building in NZ or Australia is preferred to sailing one across the Pacific, although I have already done that twice, partly in a monohull and part in a 46' Cat, when I was 30 years younger! The link to Marples/Brown has given me a huge boost to see those guys are still supporting and standing by their designs - thanks NevilleCat. Marples puts up a strong case for wood 40 years ago, and still stands by that. Once again I thank you all, and in due course will be talking things over with the team at Marples/Brown in Maine USA.
WilliamT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 21:57   #10

This one's an extended 34, been for sale in NZ a while...
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boa...32b4493e31-002
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 04:31   #11

Raven has a nice dodger, nice interior, best motor you can buy, decent list of equipment.
$37k Canadian
tempting
jon

Tags
Searunner