Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2019, 09:10   #1

Morgan 41 classic

Hello everyone!

My wife and I have settled on a buying a catilina morgan 41 classic for a Caribbean cruiser. We found one we really like for a great price. The seller informed us there is a fuel leak. We dont know if the leak is from line or the tank. Let's assume the worst and the leak is from the tank!

If the price is right, can I get the tank out to fix it? Or is it an impossible task and move on?

Thanks for the advice (about fixing a fuel tank leak not opinions about morgans) in advance!
Bubble Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 10:28   #2

Re: Morgan 41 classic

Move on - there are plenty of 41 O/I out there looking for new owners.
Old 21-11-2019, 12:03   #3

Have a mechanic (or yourself) find the source of the leak before giving up in the boat. I just replaced a leaking fuel line on my Perkins 4.236. It cost $50 and 2-3 hours time. I have also removed an aluminum fuel tank on my CSY and epoxy/glassed a weeping seem, again about $50 and 10 hours time. Use the issue to decrease the sale price based on a qualified mechanics estimate if you really like the boat.
Mo Surprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 12:10   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble Head View Post
Hello everyone!

My wife and I have settled on a buying a catilina morgan 41 classic for a Caribbean cruiser. We found one we really like for a great price. The seller informed us there is a fuel leak. We dont know if the leak is from line or the tank. Let's assume the worst and the leak is from the tank!

If the price is right, can I get the tank out to fix it? Or is it an impossible task and move on?

Thanks for the advice (about fixing a fuel tank leak not opinions about morgans) in advance!
Leak from the tank is fixable. My organ 415 (before the classics) has its main fuel tank actually as 3 seperate 50gal tanks with a manifold across the bottom. Each one can be removed seperately. Any boat that is 30ish years old is going to have issues. These are comparitivily simple boats with massively robust single skin hulls that can take a beating. I'm in it for the long haul I really like my OI and I'm rebuilding everything (She was neglected and forgotten and I got her for a song!) but I enjoy the work so its no big deal for me to replace a tank. I've already replaced the engine, electrics, electronics and resurfaced the entire aft cabin. Thankfully these boats don't have keel tanks which are a nightmare to deal with! Again fixable if you are up to it and the price is right. A new tank will be in the area of $2k (if you do the demo and install) so factor that in.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, morgan