Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2012, 14:40   #16

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
Re: Morgan 33 Out Island Owners?

john- i'm 5-10, had to drop my bimini cause boom was rubbing it but still have ample head clearance. my topping lift is set for a level boom and the clearance is doable but tight. very seldom will i want to bring the boom end over the rail and in such a case i would hand walk it over the end of the bimini rail.
i have full dodger with bimini courtesy of prior owner but 4000 sounds maybe 1000 high. i would sure shop around.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 16:58   #17

Boat: 33' cutter-rigged yawl

I am have a time searching for a schematic/diagram for the fresh-water system on a 1976 Morgan Out Island 33. Someone please send me something that will assist me. Thank you and enjoy your independence!
hangfire68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:54   #18

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

hope this helps
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 17:47   #19

Boat: 33' cutter-rigged yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangfire68 View Post
I am have a time searching for a schematic/diagram for the fresh-water system on a 1976 Morgan Out Island 33. Someone please send me something that will assist me. Thank you and enjoy your independence!

Morgan Yacht Owners Group Handbook
Sorry, new user registration by invitation only.

How can one send messages to other Morgan Out Island 33 owners if your communication is by "INVITATION ONLY?"
hangfire68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 18:31   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

My wife and I moved from our first liveaboard sailboat to a Morgan Out Island 33 in 1973 and cruised it until 1985. Our children were then 7 & 9 years old so we moved to our current 1973 Morgan OI 41' that has been our home for the past 31 years.

Having lived aboard, maintained and cruised Morgan Out Islands for over forty years we feel that we have some expertise.

We have replaced rigging, sails, refrigeration, engine, fuel tanks, water tanks, heads, holding tanks, auto pilots, pumps rudders, deck core, rails, hatches, lifelines, spreaders, anchor davits, dinghy davits, portlights, rub rails and more.

I'm glad to share our experiences, successes and failures with any specific questions with answers to be shared here.
Old 26-07-2015, 15:14   #21

Boat: Morgan 33 Out Island

This is a great thread I have been working on my O/I 33 for about 3 years now This is my 3rd liveaboard in 11 years I spent a lot of time looking for info there is a lot on the 41s but not much on the 33s I love mine and have thought about a little bigger boat but haven't found anything I like as much as the Morgan. Finnigan was a derelict with a dead motor when I found it so I repowered with a electric drive and set about bringing it back these are great boats. Not a racer just smooth and steady Everyone that boards the boat comment on the volume of the interior and how comfortable it is underway.
SV Finnigan
1977 Morgan O/I 33
10kw electric drive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2023.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	106050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2018.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	106051  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0023.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	427.4 KB
ID:	106053  
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 20:09   #22

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherssa View Post
Also, what have others done with the refrigeration system. Mine is shoot and was wondering what has been done other than to replace the original Andler system?
If you're strapped for cash, do what sailorchic34 has done successfully for years. Buy a small "dorm" fridge, maybe 3 cu ft, and run it on a small inverter. Total cost less than $200 and she says it uses no more battery power than an adler barbour.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 21:22   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
My wife and I moved from our first liveaboard sailboat to a Morgan Out Island 33 in 1973 and cruised it until 1985.
Did you happen to meet a gentleman named Larry Cyr? I just bought his boat. Met his son a few minutes after signing the papers.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 06:26   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
Did you happen to meet a gentleman named Larry Cyr? I just bought his boat. Met his son a few minutes after signing the papers.
'can't say,- I'm sad to say that I remember the names of people's boats and dogs better than the people themselves!
Old 31-08-2015, 06:52   #25

Quote:
'can't say,- I'm sad to say that I remember the names of people's boats and dogs better than the people themselves!
ROTFL I so understand.

The boat name is Times Square. AFAICT he lived on Long Island somewhere, although a lot of invoices mention someplace in Tennessee. It seems that boat was sailed primarily in the areas around NY harbor and long Island.

I haven't met the owner himself.
Old 31-08-2015, 06:56   #26

I have a 77 OI 33. Between 1 sinking and 2 lightning strikes, everything has been replaced 3-4 times in the 20 + years of ownership. Any specific questions? I may have an answer. Bob
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 06:58   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
.......... The boat name is Times Square. .................
'not one I know and I would have remembered that boat name.
Old 31-08-2015, 07:31   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberttigar View Post
I have a 77 OI 33. Between 1 sinking and 2 lightning strikes, everything has been replaced 3-4 times in the 20 + years of ownership. Any specific questions? I may have an answer. Bob
OK, my first question is how / why did it sink?

One question I was about to ask is this, the mast comes through the deck, and from below I can see that it has this stuff that seals it, but that stuff leaves a gap about 1" on the aft end of the hole. I can look up and see the blue cloth boot around the mast on deck. That just seems to me not good! Is it intentional or should I seal that remaining little part and if so with what?

I am just poking around the boat looking at stuff and trying to get stuff working.

The mast step is absolutely sterile, just amazing for a 40+ year old boat. Absolutely no sign that it has ever had water or corrosion.

My running lights are wired in to the inside 12V lights. I turned those on at the breaker panel, even though I am currently at the dock with AC. I assume that they should be on separate circuits?

My bilge pump turns on automatically but does not turn off automatically. It looks like it is hanging on a tube running aft from the head. So I have to deal with that.

The bilge is not dry but is fairly clean. A little water getting on from somewhere, my guess the shaft packing. The boat has been on the hard for a couple of years I think. I would like to track it down however just for my own peace of mind. She's not sinking however.

I would like to take a journey into the aft lockers but I am not sure I could get back out again. Wouldn't that be embarrassing!

I have about 5 days before I head south and I have to just get issues handled, including insurance, tow policy, MMSI number, and such.
Old 31-08-2015, 12:37   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
........... One question I was about to ask is this, the mast comes through the deck, and from below I can see that it has this stuff that seals it, but that stuff leaves a gap about 1" on the aft end of the hole. I can look up and see the blue cloth boot around the mast on deck. That just seems to me not good! Is it intentional or should I seal that remaining little part and if so with what? ........................
Ideally, and by design with the perfect rig tuning, the mast would come right down to the step without touching anything; however, some movement is expected. Traditionally people used wooden wedges around the mast pegged in with a mallet to brace the mast through the deck.

I would not seal off the area between the boot and the deck. It's important to have good ventilation here. If you tape, caulk or bind off this space you can promote corrosion here.

It's also wise to take a look under the seal of the mast boot to the mast. Sometimes people a disappointed to pull this off and find their mast heavily pitted with corrosion under the boot. I've added some aluminum anti-corrosion primer paint under my boot after seeing a bit of corrosion here about twenty years ago. 'looking good now!

Allow air to reach the mast step too. Some people like to block off the gap between the mast and the flooring, but this can promote corrosion too. Let the air in!
Old 31-08-2015, 19:39   #30

Quote:
My wife and I moved from our first liveaboard sailboat to a Morgan Out Island 33 in 1973 and cruised it until 1985.
What was your hull number. I was told that the hull number of my boat was 33, but I am also told that the hull number is on the sail and mine is 373 or some such. That seems unlikely given that mine is a 1973. Is there any list of year / hull numbers?

Do you know anything about centerboard for these boats? Mine apparently has one and I tugged the tiny string today and felt movement. Any idea how that works mechanically?

Tags
morgan, morgan out island