Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 14:31   #16

Boat: Herreshoff Eagle
Re: Loss of FastCat 445 'Sea Minx' by fire

Prayers to you on your loss, from a fellow cat owner who just passed thru RB and Zululand ... could not help but notice loss of another cat, also with the name Minx, the very day after your tragic fire ... the Gods must be crazy.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...sea-75182.html

"Money's just something to throw off the back of a train;
Got a head full of lightning, and a hat full of rain."
jglauds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 15:24   #17

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Here's the facts. Note that Therapy was trading barbs with another member in a private joke and it was misunderstood by the owner of Sea Minx.

As the (former) owner of 'Sea Minx' it is about time to put things right and lay unwarranted speculation to rest that surround this horrendous incident:-
  • I was ashore at Zululand Yacht Club, having dinner at the club, when I was informed that the boat was on fire. Despite concerted efforts from everybody available, the fire was out of control and the boat was destroyed. At the time the cause of the fire was a mystery.
  • Everything was lost including a substantial cash pile ready for cruising, a huge amount of personal memento's, valuable personal effects, documents such as passport etc etc. I was left standing in tee shirt and shorts.
  • This was the end of a long awaited dream; no more no less.
  • Yacht club members and yachties were brilliant in their kindness and every assistance. Special mention for Charles Fowler, club manager and his wife and Philippa and Robert on board SY 'Sanyati' who put me up for the night. Gideon Goudsmit, the boat builder, came next morning from Durban and went out of his way to help me get an emergency passport and put me up next night.
  • Within days of notifying the insurance company, a consultant forensic engineer was despatched from the UK to SA to investigate the cause of the fire having first interviewed me at length and taken a full statement. After intensive investigations his conclusion was that the fire was caused by a faulty battery trickle charger that I had left on to recharge the generator starter battery which was flat after an absence from the boat of eight weeks. I had bought the charger from an outlet in SA. It was a 'bog' standard charger like many of us have in our garage at home. The insurers have since paid out. I would, in particular, be grateful if “Therapy” would take note of this conclusion and, perhaps, think twice before making wild and unpleasant insinuations and think more about the personal dashed hopes and dreams that this disaster has caused the owner and his wife.
  • Yes, we did have substantial problems with the 'Green Motion' system during and after sea trials that year. And I may or may not come back to that in a different context, but I wish to make it perfectly clear here that this fire was not as a result of anything related to the 'Green Motion' system.

And yes, we hope to sail again. We do not know yet how, where and when.
Finally, 'Butterfly' thank you for your well informed and less speculative comments.

Good day,
Old 03-02-2012, 16:47   #18

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Very good that we could get the information from that other dastardly forum.

Thank gooness Sea Minx has settled with their insurers and best wishes in continuing their dream.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fastcat