Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2019, 11:09   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Where to register boat for world Cirumnavigation, spanish registered and VAT not paid

Hi all,
again I would need the help and wisdom of the community.
It is regarding what is the best way or place to register the boat and maybe myself too. Total newbee in these topics.
Situation&plan:
I plan to circumnavigate the world and liveabord min. the next 5 till 10years, slow and where I like it I stay as long as i like it.
I placed an accepted offer (now survey) on a OVNI 455 which is registered in spain but VAT not paid. Quite good condition but I need to do some refits (damping, electronics, making it mine..) so it would be good if registered and the billing adress for parts is a tax free country. Boat will be paid cash. Physically I will do moving on&inital refit (mainly damping and some cosmetic) in Spain or Italiy (Genua) and the rest during next year cruising med (eg Turkey is known a good a cheap place to do get some refit done).
I am Swiss residence (since 19 years) with a German passport but maybe leave switzerland for good.
I wanna register the boat on a company, one of the reasons its not visible to the outside that I own it (have my reasons, nothing illegal)

What is the best place to register the boat given the situation above?
Also where it is easy to open and maintain the company (means taxes, declarations etc..).

Well the current owner has it registered on a company in Spain and would sell the company to me too without additional charge if i am interested. But I think thats not a good place to register eg VAT.... or am I wrong here?
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 09:54   #2

Re: boat registration for Cirumnavigation, spanish registered and VAT not paid

no one any tip for me?
Old 22-11-2019, 16:08   #3

Re: Where to register boat for world Cirumnavigation, spanish registered and VAT not

Congratulations on the yacht may I ask what u ended up paying for it as I was gonna put in an offer as well but too late now
bethell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 17:06   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: boat registration for Cirumnavigation, spanish registered and VAT not paid

Delaware LLC may be your best option.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 18:16   #5

Re: boat registration for Cirumnavigation, spanish registered and VAT not paid

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Delaware LLC may be your best option.

thank you. Yes I am gonna register it in Delaware via an LLC.
Old 22-11-2019, 18:34   #6

Re: Where to register boat for world Cirumnavigation, spanish registered and VAT not

There are many possibilities. Guernsey, Gibraltar, Isle of Man...........Delaware. But do understand that register the boat on a company in another country will raise red flags. You have a German passport, residence in Switzerland. Technically you are not allowed to sail an foreign registered boat in EU, unless you are employed skipper. You can write a contract of employment. That works for a while. But there is a risk that they say you must be there to do charter. After all companies are supposed to do business. Happened to a friend in France. When you leave Europe it will be easier.
Buying tax free parts as a Delaware company in Europe will not work. Only if you can prove export. Yacht in Transit does not work in many places in Europe.
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 19:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceansailor View Post
There are many possibilities. Guernsey, Gibraltar, Isle of Man...........Delaware. But do understand that register the boat on a company in another country will raise red flags. You have a German passport, residence in Switzerland. Technically you are not allowed to sail an foreign registered boat in EU, unless you are employed skipper. You can write a contract of employment. That works for a while. But there is a risk that they say you must be there to do charter. After all companies are supposed to do business. Happened to a friend in France. When you leave Europe it will be easier.
Buying tax free parts as a Delaware company in Europe will not work. Only if you can prove export. Yacht in Transit does not work in many places in Europe.
Thank you for the clarification on some points.
As said i will leave switzerland and also its residence.

Will it get less suspicious if I offer cabin charter as a kind of business
What happened then to your friend? Was he forced to register in France?
Old 22-11-2019, 19:09   #8

They wanted taxes as they said he was conducting business in France.
He did not register in France. But he had to hire an attorney to fight the officials. So no it is not a good idea to offer cabin charter. If you visiting the country for some days it is o.k. But for longer periods no
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 19:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceansailor View Post
They wanted taxes as they said he was conducting business in France.
He did not register in France. But he had to hire an attorney to fight the officials. So no it is not a good idea to offer cabin charter. If you visiting the country for some days it is o.k. But for longer periods no
lovely french so money scam. Not enough you buy their diesel, food and drinks and pay tax for that....very hostile and tourist friendly.

Tags
navigation, rum, boat