Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2019, 14:25   #1

Question Will there be a glut of boats for sale once Baby Boomers retire from boating?

When is a good estimate of when that will be? What is the average age to retire from boating? The Baby Boomers are a substantial mass of people. Future supply/demand will seem to be out of balance unless there are a large new demographic of buyers. Are boat builders preparing for this?
Old 20-01-2019, 14:28   #2

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Will there be a glut of boats for sale once Baby Boomers retire from boating?

I guess it depends if we help usher in the next generation of sailors
Old 20-01-2019, 14:35   #3

Re: Will there be a glut of boats for sale once Baby Boomers retire from boating?

I'm a power boater. Is there an average age when being tipped on a sail boat becomes too physically grueling? Do most sailors shift from sailing to power boating when this happens? Are we likely to see the demographic of Boomers sell their sailboats and buy power boats, leaving a glut of mostly sail boats? Or generally just retire from frequent boating altogether?
Old 01-02-2019, 11:28   #4

Boat: Classic Fletcher Speed Boat

How old are Baby Boomers then?
Old 01-02-2019, 11:51   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboj View Post
How old are Baby Boomers then?
Typically defined as born post-WWII (1945) until early 1960's - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_boomers

Don't hold your breath for great deals on mint-conditioned boats. I know a few 'retiring' sailors in their mid-70s (so war babies) and their boats are on the ragged edge. They've used them to death, and run out of money and energy to keep them pristine. Other than a few recently added winches and such, they're ready for scrapping, not cruising.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
Old 01-02-2019, 11:52   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

My prediction is: Yes. In fact, I think we’re already seeing it in the used market. The number of boats available seems to grow each year.
Old 01-02-2019, 13:34   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
Don't hold your breath for great deals on mint-conditioned boats. I know a few 'retiring' sailors in their mid-70s (so war babies) and their boats are on the ragged edge. They've used them to death, and run out of money and energy to keep them pristine. Other than a few recently added winches and such, they're ready for scrapping, not cruising.

It depends, I was on a guys boat the other day, a 50ish foot Morgan.
He was 70 and seems to be in great shape, he had built a hard top for the boat that was very well done from what I could see and had painted the boat recently himself, and it looked great, he said he was going to redo the deck soon, but it didn’t look like it needed it to me.
I think it was an 83 model boat, but sure didn’t look like it.
Old 01-02-2019, 14:22   #8
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

if there is a glut of boats they will be big boats .. 40' and up. big catamarans. expensive.
Old 01-02-2019, 15:40   #9

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

There is another thread going about the Toronto Boat Show and how the number of new sailboats on display has gone down drastically and power boats on display up dramaticlly. It was also commented on that most that seemed to be looking seriously at purchasing boats had silver hair - baby boomers.
Old 01-02-2019, 15:59   #10

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

This is the same issue experienced with Motorcycles, and Harley in particular. Their demographic are the baby boomers and they are quickly dying out, leaving lots of used bikes for sale, and limited buyers. The huge used market takes away from the new buyers, and this is hurting HD. This problem is only going to get worse.

Boats at least decay quickly if not maintained, unlike motorcycles, so there is that. It is not so easy to leave your sailboat in the garage for 20 years.
Old 01-02-2019, 18:36   #11

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I think the bigger question is how many of the younger generations are going to become cruisers, or boaters at all.

I don't see the kids messing about in boats like we used to. They don't take little skiffs out fishing in the ocean, they don't hang around the docks, they don't buy dilapidated runabouts or sailing dinghies to fix up and run. They don't take after-school jobs on fishing boats, or hang out in dusty boat builders' barns. They're ferried to and from structured, organized activities in their parents' minivans.

Are they going to become cruisers? Not likely. Day boats are selling well, and probably always will. Besides, with all the anchorages being converted to paid mooring fields, or anchoring banned outright, where would they go?
Old 01-02-2019, 18:52   #12

I'm a boomer; I plan to be sailing to 80+.

I predict that there will be a glut of... old, baffed out boats from the 80s and before. I don't honestly know if the more common boats built after 1990 will last as long, and as already pointed out, they will be larger, and bigger headaches than the smaller boats.

Maybe the millenials will realize (as we did) the simple pleasures of the smaller, older boats and breathe some more life into them.
Old 01-02-2019, 19:34   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
My prediction is: Yes. In fact, I think we’re already seeing it in the used market. The number of boats available seems to grow each year.
Completely agree. I see it every day.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:15   #14

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

The trends seem accurate as described here, but why are all the marinas full or on wait list?

Maybe the percentage of the population interested is shrinking, but the total number of boaters seems to be increasing to me.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:04   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Joe.
There may be (I wouldn't be surprised) a future supply/demand imbalance, but I doubt if boatbuilders are preparing for it.

Closed Thread

Tags
boat, boating, for sale, sale