Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 05:46   #1

Boat: Adams 13
Hunter 38 /Adams Naut questions

Hi, again we are going on with our search and have come across a boat we are not that familiar with. A Hunter 38 built 2000 looking at its specs it seems a boat that ought to handle/sail well and looks like a simple and easy to handle solo or couple, as we will, looks well appointed below. So we are keen to hear if anyone owns or has sailed one. I was considering an Adams and others recommend an Adams Naut and there is a couple of these for sale, however the 13 tons displacement seems a worry in light airs. So if anyone knows the performance of the Naut in light air, keen to hear that too!
Cheers Dan and Aya
madyachty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:55   #2

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Hunter 38 /Adams Naut questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by madyachty View Post
Hi, again we are going on with our search and have come across a boat we are not that familiar with. A Hunter 38 built 2000 looking at its specs it seems a boat that ought to handle/sail well and looks like a simple and easy to handle solo or couple, as we will, looks well appointed below. So we are keen to hear if anyone owns or has sailed one. I was considering an Adams and others recommend an Adams Naut and there is a couple of these for sale, however the 13 tons displacement seems a worry in light airs. So if anyone knows the performance of the Naut in light air, keen to hear that too!
Cheers Dan and Aya
I think that you will find it is a Hunter 380. It has the same hull/layout as the 376 that preceded it and the 386 that followed. The 380 marks Hunter's change to the B & R rig so while it resembles the 376 it's sailing characteristics are quite different.

Based on sailing a 386, it's a great boat for couples. Roomy and easy to sail. You will find a lot of Hunter detractors but if you are looking for a nice coastal liveaboard, I don't have much negative to say about this series of boats.
Old 08-09-2018, 20:33   #3

Boat: Adams 13

Hi, MacBlaze, thanks for your reply what do you think of the BR rig down wind and what would you say a good 380 is worth in good condition with many extras? US dollars
madyachty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 23:41   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Sapient Sue (her moniker here on CF) and her husband own a Naut 40. They bought her from the chap who fitted her out, and then did a RTW. Mike and Sue have done 40K+ miles since then. including a round trip from Tassie to Alaska with lots of stops along the way. The boat is bullet proof and a very good load carrier. Not the swiftest upwind or in light airs, but not a slouch either. We've sailed in company many times in differing conditions. We're faster and point higher, but are also longer, lighter and more performance oriented, so who's surprised?

If you have questions about the marque, a pm to Sapient Sue will likely make a useful contact.

Jim
Old 09-09-2018, 07:28   #5

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by madyachty View Post
Hi, MacBlaze, thanks for your reply what do you think of the BR rig down wind and what would you say a good 380 is worth in good condition with many extras? US dollars
Sound like the two boats are not in the same class. You'll hear the Hunter described as a floating condo and any blue water proponents of if will be few and far between. But we like our boat. We lived a board for a year and she was all that we wanted and got us safely around the PNW in all kinds of weather.

She sucks downwind but does pretty damn good on a broad reach and some say she is fast enough on that tack to make up for having to gybe her way downwind. Around here I find myself sailing upwind a lot and when we finally manage to go the other way we are never in a hurry so I've never really had the opportunity to test that out.

The Hunters hold their value pretty well. We have a 2003 and it seems to stay around $100 to $115 K. The 380 look to be about $10 to $15 K lower.

Like I said before it depends what you are looking for in a cruiser. Check out my blog for more and here Life On The Hook - A Couple On A Boat In Search Of Perpetual Summerto read about a 376 ( which is the model before)
Old 13-09-2018, 21:22   #6

Hi I have a Hunter 380 in Alameda Ca. We love it. Just have done alot of things to it to bring it up to my specs. Down below is spaciaous, and have no issues there.

Performanace.....is very good. The boat is a good cruiser, but downwind it does not do as well as others because of the rig. One tip the boat is good on full sails up to about 15-16 knots, after that the boat needs to be reefed. in my opinion. at 20-25 Knots I have 50% of my main in and 60% of my jib and I am sailing at 6.6 knots comfortably watching other boats struggle with full sails up.

The boat overall may represent some of the best of all worlds in terms of my price/value proposition. Any specific questions, just let me know. Happy to help.

JAY
jhthorpe85718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 20:13   #7

Hi,
I have a hunter 45DS, great boat, did some offshore and felt very safe, even in 45knlos winds.

Saw a 38 in the marina, looks like a nice boat.
B_Hunter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 19:55   #8

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Know people with a Naut 40 hull. Huge room. Adams boats always sail pretty well. Don't know of any real slow ones, although they can sometime be a bit short of freeboard. Had an Adams 12 for many years and that was a good boat - quick enough for cruising and strong.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adams, hunter