Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2020, 10:03   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Inboard diesels vs 2 stroke outboards.

Home made 5 meter boat, you’d be crazy to get too far from civilization to start with, but sure a Diesel will work fine, just get a small one.
However an outboard will for fine too, and guys he’s saying two stroke, not fuel injected four strokes.
Fuel consumption will be, whatever it will be not trying to be sarcastic, but I bet it won’t ever be a major driving consideration.

Planing boat or slow boat? If not meant to plane go for a very small motor, 5 HP or so, but my guess is if it’s meant to be a planing boat, you want a 70 HP or so motor.

a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 10:33   #17

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBW View Post
Remember the movie "The African Queen".
Perfect boat.
Wonderful film! But the boat called the S/L Livingstone is hardly to the OP's requirements. I'll write this in the current tense because the boat is still with us. Either 30 or 33 feet long, like another famous boat built in 1912 and constructed with riveted steel (welding was only an infant). She was portrayed in the film as having a Brady steam engine, but in reality the steam engine was a prop, and she was fitted with a diesel for the film.

These days the boat is based in the Florida Keys and I understand available for hire after being restored.

Some articles refer to a half size boat built especially for specific scenes in the film. I've not been able to substantiate this as fact.

There's also a report of another S/L Livingstone in this article. I wonder about the authenticity. Perhaps someone may have further knowledge.

Sure, a little topic creep, but it's fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aq1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	211392   Click image for larger version

Name:	aq3.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	211393  

Click image for larger version

Name:	aq2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	443.6 KB
ID:	211394  

Old 27-03-2020, 11:13   #18

Boat: Big C Marine, 15 metre Catamaran

Hey Chotu. As TBW said, the African Queen would be cool. I'm with you both there. Chug, chug, chug. Love it.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 27-03-2020, 18:19   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Hi Rufus, so much goes into the mix when considering the diesel. Exhaust elbow, muffler, starter, battery, oil & filter changes, fuel tank and assorted filters.

I would go for a good, reliable 2-stroke to avoid the 4-stroke filter and oil changes. Keep it as simple as you can and you will enjoy you boat more. Oh, 2-strokes also have more torque (pulling/pushing power) than the 4-strokes!

Now please excuse me as I have to do an oil and filter change this morning. Grrr
We switched from 2 to 4 stroke.

Assuming you are covering significant distance by water (without a car), we found the 4 stroke much more convenient.
- Not sure about down under but getting 2 stroke oil has become more of a challenge on the water. A lot of marinas either don't have it or have tiny bottles at exorbitant prices. And if you run out of 2 stroke oil, you are done.
- 4 stroke oil is available every where and if you go over by 10-20hrs of run time, it's not a big deal, so you can plan for when you need an oil change.

(If this is just a weekend boat not covering a lot of distance, it's not a big deal either way as big box stores still carry 2 stroke in large containers and weekending you have access to a car to get to those stores)
valhalla360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 19:36   #20

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

Mount a 4 stroke outboard, gasoline tanks on deck. With it you can turn the engine to maneuver best and make tight turns. Easy, cheap and dependable and can be sailing much sooner than all the time, effort, parts, heat, vibration, noise and installation Also will have lots more space below to store goodies. Have fun!.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 09:04   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 42 OV

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
We switched from 2 to 4 stroke.

Assuming you are covering significant distance by water (without a car), we found the 4 stroke much more convenient.
- Not sure about down under but getting 2 stroke oil has become more of a challenge on the water. A lot of marinas either don't have it or have tiny bottles at exorbitant prices. And if you run out of 2 stroke oil, you are done.
- 4 stroke oil is available every where and if you go over by 10-20hrs of run time, it's not a big deal, so you can plan for when you need an oil change.

(If this is just a weekend boat not covering a lot of distance, it's not a big deal either way as big box stores still carry 2 stroke in large containers and weekending you have access to a car to get to those stores)
Agreed! Advantages to both. Our 15 Enduro gets pretty much the range as our buddy boats 15 Yamaha 4-stroke. I donít have to run as hard as he does getting on plane and I get on plane much quicker.

Our 2 stroke is a fair amount lighter than his 4 as well. OP probably wonít be moving his around much so weight probably isnít an issue.

Been from FL to Grenada and heading back N now. I havenít found a fuel dock yet that didnít have 2-stroke oil. I do buy mine in gallon size in marine stores tho.. much cheaper.

Tags
2 stroke, diesel, outboard