Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2018, 07:07   #1

First Yacht: Hunter Legend 340 Vs Beneteau Oceanis 351

I'm interested in becoming a liveaboard/cruiser. (houses in UK are expensive and I'm an agency worker so variable income)

I'm at the research stage and saving stage. I like the Hunter Legend 340 and the Beneteau Oceanis 351 they're fairly similar size and price. I'm leaning more towards the Legend around a 1996 version. From what I seen most people seem to think they are not that great and wouldn't trust it to go across the Atlantic.

While doing my research I have found that the hull is classified "CE rating of A"

Category A – Ocean: covers largely self-sufficient boats designed for extended voyages with winds of over Beaufort Force 8 (over 40 knots), and significant wave heights above 13 feet, but excluding abnormal conditions such as hurricanes.

My primary use will be liveaboard but I do often find my self going abroad 4 months of the year (hence doing agency work) I'd like to head the med and then over the Atlantic and back over the next few years.

Since its primary liveaboard I like the wider beams.
CombatChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 14:36   #2

Boat: 1998 Hunter 410 (now), 1981 Bayfield 32c (old)
Re: First Yacht: Hunter Legend 340 Vs Beneteau Oceanis 351

In that size range the best boat to cross oceans will not be as comfortable as the one that works best for livaboard. Something like a Contessa 32 would be close to ideal for an ocean crossing sailboat.

Hunter and Beneteau both make decent boats in that length. When looking at a 22 year old vessel, the prior owners maintenance and upgrading will make more of a difference on whether or not its the right to purchase than the model itself imho.

We have a Hunter 410, love the boat and find it to be really well constructed throughout, but things like bilge pumps, float switches, heads etc need constant maintenance in either brand. I had a friend in Toronto who owned an Oceanis 351 that I spent a lot of time sailing on. It performed really well. He later sold that boat and bought a 41+ deck salon Hunter which was his favourite boat he ever owned/sailed.

Good luck with your search. Decide what your near term priorities are first. The best liveaboard boats in 34-35' range will not be the best offshore boats. If you plan on leaving soon, look for a smaller passagemaker. If you plan on leaving in a few years, get a good performing boat, (both the options you suggested are) that will be a comfortable home. Just like a Jeep, a Porsche, and a Passat are all decent road vehicles. They each do one thing really well at the sacrifice of something else. Boats are no different.
VanIslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 15:45   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)

I owned a Beneteau 361, the next iteration of the 351. I crossed the Atlantic twice with it no problem.

I would highly recommend you look into a 2-cabin 361 for living aboard over the 351. It has vastly superior amenities including a massive galley with two fridges and a separate shower stall.
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:42   #4

Firstly guys Thank you for your quick response. I wasn't expecting a reply so soon!

I looked at the yachts mentioned above and they definitely look like fantastic choices. There's around £10,000-£15,000 difference in price so I guess it's more saving fingers crossed the stock market continues on its bull run which will help me accelerate my savings.

I do have the time. As Jack Bogle says "time is your friend impulse is your enemy" I would rather buy right the first time than buy a close enough yacht. I'm aiming to spend around 5 years aboard.

-----
When you guys brought your yacht's did you finance/marine mortgage or did you buy outright? I'm very much looking at seasonal cruising so thinking of the idea of a large deposit and when I'm not cruising living aboard and slaving away :-)
CombatChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:56   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

Get the boat you like best. Every boat has an "issue" so just get the one you like instead of worrying about what people you don't even know "like".
Old 09-07-2018, 09:37   #6

Boat: Boatless

I have your boat and would be happy to deliver it to the UK from Florida!

1994 Hunter Legend sailboat for sale in Maryland

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:20   #7
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

CombatChcken:

You don't give your sailing/boating experience, age, or how long you have been on your boat search...my last search took me five years and that was my third sailboat.

Most new sailboat owners shop with their heart rather than their head...they fall in love without knowing anything about the breed, only later to learn of the boat's shortcomings and limitations.

You have started to define your project, liveaboard and cruise. Further determine where you would do this...coastal or offshore...worldwide? Answers to these questions can make a big difference in your selection.

Look at as many boats until your sick of looking...and then look some more. During this time write down all the details, take photos, you can about the make and model...a spread sheet would be helpful. Run the usual ratio formulas for comparison.

Modern boats are lighter than the older ones and therefore more lively on the water, therefore, usually slower but more comfortable in a seaway or at anchor.

Don't be in a hurry to put your money down. Keep to your budget and consider overall annual cost like insurance, maintenance, and mooring.

Good Luck,

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 13:47   #8

Boat: Hunter 41

If you're considering financing the boat, keep in mind that you'll need to have it insured. The insurers will want to know if you have any experience with the size boat you're looking to purchase. Not being able to get insurance will probably make financing impossible. Some insurance companies here in the US will look at your driving record if you have little or no experience with the size boat you wish to purchase. That's what allowed my wife and I to jump from a Sunfish to our Hunter 41 which we purchased in 2004 and have been living aboard since. A great boat for living aboard and sailing the Chesapeake Bay or coastal cruising but I don't consider it a blue water boat.
JD
JD-Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 17:03   #9

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

I don't consider my current Hunter a blue water boat as it is but could certainly be modified to be so. As the original starter of this thread stated, the eurozone rating system categorizes these Hunters as blue water qualified. I have owned and sailed several Hunters since 1983, currently the owner of 2. I also have sailed and or owned Catalinas, O'Day, MacGregor(the most fun and cheaply built boat I ever owned), Ericsons, Cal, Columbia, Beneteau...and owned 3 wooden sailboats. As far as production sailboats are concerned, the Hunters generally have more opening hatches, ports and superior running gear and interior finishes vs contemporaries for any given year, i.e., you would never find a gasoline engine in a Hunter of any vintage. Hunter has a great pedigree, Warren Luhrs founded, John Cherubini the 1st designer. Back to blue water, a blue water should be able to invert safety . My boat has many floor hatches, engine cover that are unsecured and in a rollover would all become missiles . Any boat you are looking at picture it inverted and imagine where it all falls. Anchor chain should be stored in the middle of the boat as low as possible. Its all doable, have fun.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 00:55   #10

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Living in the UK, have you considered a "Narrow Boat "?
They are designed for live aboard. Can go places a Sail Boat cant.
I'm not sure I would want to try to cruise in your part of the world in a 35' sail boat that was also my home in a land based work / living situation... as opposed to a cruising live aboard life style.

In your situation I would suspect you will have a lot of things aboard a cruiser would not.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, hunter, oceanis, yacht