Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2017, 03:53   #1

Traveler on a Hallberg Rassy Rasmus

Has anybody out there converted to a traveler on a Hallberg Rassy Rasmus(35') center cockpit ?
normanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 08:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub
Re: Traveler on a Hallberg Rassy Rasmus

I do miss having a traveller on our Rasmus but we compensate with the vang a little. With the shallow shoal keel the boat can be a bit tender at times and a traveller would be extremely helpful as well as helping with sail balance when sailing on the windvane autopilot.

While it would look a little odd, but I always thought a sturdy arch at the rear of the cockpit with an integrated traveller track on top would be very handy on our boat, sort of like the newer Hunters and Beneteaus. It would get that snaggy mainsheet literally out of your hair while at the helm, and give a great structural frame to hang canvas for a cozy and roomy cockpit enclosure. Perhaps it could also be extended aft to give some room to mount large solar panels.

My wife is careful to always wear her long thick hair in a braid while at the helm and even so has had a few close calls where the mainsheet has caught some hair and yanked it right out while tacking quickly.

We do a lot of technical sailing here in Chicago, where we are at the moment, and will tack or jibe every few minutes while playing cat & mouse "racing" with other boats in our sailing club. For a boat that is more suited to setting up and staying on a steady course for hours or days on end, we instead have been sailing it like a day-sailor in a crowded area with high traffic and many obstacles to sail around. Still, we get along and can often outsail some of the other boats our friends have as long as we are not forced to go too close upwind. Usually when the weather gets really rough we have the advantage

https://scontent.ford1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...de&oe=5A6C9267
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:15   #3

Hi, really enjoyed the post re traveler on a HR Rasmus. Your idea is great, wish I had thought of it. I wanted to keep it simple and an arch as you described is beyond my abilities, but has lots of advantages. After several failed attempts I bit the bullet and ordered Garhauer traveler riser, a traveler bar and a boom vang blocks.. Works great and is a pleasure when trimming the main. As a plus I drop the main sheet line into the aft cabin to keep it out of the cockpit. The traveler bar is located just aft of the fwd end of the aft cabin hatch slide so u can enter the cabin with no obstructions.,
normanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:47   #4
Senior Cruiser

Sounds like a very nice setup. We also dump the main down the aft cabin companionway hatch with our stock mainsheet setup. There is not much room in the aft portion of the cockpit with helm right there and extra folks onboard, so we find that the jibsheets tend to get tangled with the mainsheet and crew if we are doing a lot of tacking maneuvers. Even with just two crew the main seems to always get tangled with the helmsmans feet or rear end.

We are using our bluewater cruising boat somewhat improperly at the moment sailing it as a pleasure day-sailor and racing and fooling around with our friends and other sailing club members in their own boats around the crowded Chicago area. The Rasmus is really not a race boat but it can beat a Beneteau Oceanus and keep up with older Hunters, Catalinas, Pearsons, and C&C's -especially when the wind and the waves pick up. When the wind gets over 20-25 knots and the waves approach 10+ feet we have the advantage. Yes, we really do enjoy sailing on those conditions.

I gather your new traveler is high enough so that it doesn't interfere with the emergency tiller? On our boat there is a permanently-mounted E-tiller made out of stainless tubing which the windvane autopilot connects to when it is being used. The tiller is a little shorter than the stock one, and comes almost right up to the back of the cockpit. It does get in the way sometimes, but is also very handy to have right there. I've used it to scull a few times when approaching a mooring ball in difficult wind conditions to keep from loosing the bow to the wind. Once the wheel mounting bolt came loose and the wheel fell right off in the helm's hands during one of those heavy-weather sails I mentioned above. We were on a fairly broad reach at the time and had I not been on mainsheet and been able to reach back for the the tiller instantly to correct our course we would have crash-jibed at the worst possible moment.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:09   #5
Senior Cruiser

Here it is under sail, and with the windvane attached.

A traveler would really help with sail balance here, with keeping the boat properly trimmed so that the windvane could more easily control the course. It does OK, but we find that our boat tends to have a lot of weather-helm at times and we try all sorts of weird things to depower the main in such a way that it isn't luffing and putting undue strain on the sail. We've had the vang fully tightened on a close reach just to pull out some camber. This works, to a degree. A better outhaul with more gain would be nice as well.

Tags
hallberg rassy