Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2021, 08:55   #46

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Want AIS on my Jeanneau; Raymarine AIS700 or Veper XB-8000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Ultimately it boils down to, do you want the extra features of the Vesper, or the extra price of the Raymarine?
Not really, because the Vesper xb8000 is a class B AIS with 2watt transmit, while the AIS700 is a class b+ with 5watt transmit. New installs really should use the newer spec and be class b+ SOTDMA units. There are many available besides the Ray unit.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:11   #47

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35

Another way to go: Digital Yacht Nomad AIS plus their vhf antenna, add a tablet with charts and now you have a full & portable backup navigation electronics system in case the built-in system is fried by a lightning strike.

I am also looking at Vesper Watchmate Vision for their anchor watch alarm functionality specifically but I think it comes with the xb8000 too

Soon, the vhf radio will have AIS transmit capability builtin soon soon...
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:41   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus Safdari View Post
Another way to go: Digital Yacht Nomad AIS plus their vhf antenna, add a tablet with charts and now you have a full & portable backup navigation electronics system in case the built-in system is fried by a lightning strike.

I am also looking at Vesper Watchmate Vision for their anchor watch alarm functionality specifically but I think it comes with the xb8000 too

Soon, the vhf radio will have AIS transmit capability builtin soon soon...
The Vesper Cortex already does. Just very pricey
Old 05-10-2021, 11:06   #49

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
The Vesper Cortex already does. Just very pricey
Should I get the Cortex then? M1? V1?
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:46   #50

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Not really, because the Vesper xb8000 is a class B AIS with 2watt transmit, while the AIS700 is a class b+ with 5watt transmit. New installs really should use the newer spec and be class b+ SOTDMA units. There are many available besides the Ray unit.
Good point. Get an AMEC widelink 600 (SODTMA) with splitter, wifi, USB and spend even less!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 15:02   #51

Boat: Benford 34ft Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post

If you can afford it, it's possibly the best unit on the market. Either version is good. They are constantly upgrading it's capabilities so it just gets better.

I don't have one yet but when the time comes, I'll be getting...
sailorxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 20:31   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Only if you want a cutting edge approach. Once you get the needed attachments it is pretty expensive. I'm not really a fan of all of the separate, phone like remote devices on an offshore passage maker.

Vesper has pretty much sunk all there effort into this high end unit. I'd like to see them simultaneously also off a basic, class B+ unit that plays to their existing customers needs. Right now they are letting all of the companies that have rebranded the SRT class B+ unit run away with the market.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:27   #53
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Want AIS on my Jeanneau; Raymarine AIS700 or Veper XB-8000?

Ais700 and garmin ( and emtrak I think ) are all using the SRT platform. Can’t go wrong with the oem leader.

Vespers SOTMA is way too expensive and who in their right mind buys a original class B CSTDMA these days.
Old 06-10-2021, 13:01   #54

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

Quote:
Only if you want a cutting edge approach. Once you get the needed attachments it is pretty expensive. I'm not really a fan of all of the separate, phone like remote devices on an offshore passage maker.

Vesper has pretty much sunk all there effort into this high end unit. I'd like to see them simultaneously also off a basic, class B+ unit that plays to their existing customers needs. Right now they are letting all of the companies that have rebranded the SRT class B+ unit run away with the market.
I had a 8000 for 4 years and loved it. I recently upgraded to the Cortex unit. The B+ transmission is great, even Marine Traffic satellites see us. The Cortex unit has lots of features over and above the AIS. Somebody would need to decide if those are worth the extra $1000 or so. I find the remote monitoring to be very useful. I can be notified via cell phone of an anchor drag (and many other conditions) when I'm off the boat. Direct VHF call via DSC and the trial maneuvers for collision avoidance are also nice features. I decided those features were worth the $1000 (YMMV). I kept my Icom radio connected and available for backup.

As for the decision that Vesper made, I get it.. lots of products are coming into the B+ space and they wanted a clear differentiator. Cortex is ahead of the pack (at least at this point).
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 13:06   #55
Nearly an old salt

I love the idea of an anchor drag alarm being sent when I’m miles away !! It’s about as useful as a bicycle for a fish.
Old 06-10-2021, 13:30   #56

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I love the idea of an anchor drag alarm being sent when I’m miles away !! It’s about as useful as a bicycle for a fish.
I haven't tried fishing with a bicycle, but knowing the anchored boat is moving seems very useful rather than coming back hours later to a boat on the rocks. Sure if the boat is moving at a really fast rate maybe I wouldn't get back in time, but it would sure motivate me to try
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 21:42   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenRbrts View Post
As for the decision that Vesper made, I get it.. lots of products are coming into the B+ space and they wanted a clear differentiator. Cortex is ahead of the pack (at least at this point).
Yes, Cortex is a very innovative product. I just think it is too bad that Vesper is currently ceding the lower part of the market to everyone else. There are a lot more people that want to buy a non integrated AIS class B+ unit than a high end heavily integrated one.
Old 06-10-2021, 23:30   #58
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Yes, Cortex is a very innovative product. I just think it is too bad that Vesper is currently ceding the lower part of the market to everyone else. There are a lot more people that want to buy a non integrated AIS class B+ unit than a high end heavily integrated one.
My Raymarine ais is heavily integrated. The issue is there’s a lot more people that want to buy a SOTDMA ais without paying for a whole heap of unwanted functionality
Old 06-10-2021, 23:41   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
My Raymarine ais is heavily integrated. The issue is there’s a lot more people that want to buy a SOTDMA ais without paying for a whole heap of unwanted functionality
In this context, I don't consider an n2k networked ais transceiver as heavily integrated, at least not compared to the internal integration in the Cortex box.
Old 06-10-2021, 23:55   #60
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
In this context, I don't consider an n2k networked ais transceiver as heavily integrated, at least not compared to the internal integration in the Cortex box.

Yes but in terms of its ais functionality it’s heavily integrated , as opposed to adding large chunks of features that only appeal to high end customers. . I’ve always disliked Vespers policy in that regard, but clearly they don’t want to play in the rough and tumble end of the market largely because they are not a complete nav systems provider

Tags
ais, jeanneau, marine, raymarine