Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2019, 12:40   #1

Boat: Townson Talent MkII 36
Hanse 418 or Jeanneau 410?

I am looking to purchase one or other of the above two yachts. It would be used for coastal cruising with the possibility of some blue water cruising between the islands of the pacific.
My very general thoughts are these. Whilst the Jeanneau has more bells and whistles (which to me means more gadgetry to fail) has a sweeter interior layout and finish, has the much talked about full walkaround its big negative to me is its cabin stepped mast. Also, without putting too fine a point on it, it is French built rather than German built.
The Hanse on the hand has a more robust and no frills persona and has that added security of a keel stepped mast.

They will both be fine for 90% of cruising. However I wonder which of them is going to suffer first in extreme conditions.

I would really love to hear your comments on which you would prefer and without cost being a consideration.
kitrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:53   #2

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI
Re: Hanse 418 or Jeanneau 410?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitrob View Post
I am looking to purchase one or other of the above two yachts. It would be used for coastal cruising with the possibility of some blue water cruising between the islands of the pacific.
My very general thoughts are these. Whilst the Jeanneau has more bells and whistles (which to me means more gadgetry to fail) has a sweeter interior layout and finish, has the much talked about full walkaround its big negative to me is its cabin stepped mast. Also, without putting too fine a point on it, it is French built rather than German built.
The Hanse on the hand has a more robust and no frills persona and has that added security of a keel stepped mast.

They will both be fine for 90% of cruising. However I wonder which of them is going to suffer first in extreme conditions.

I would really love to hear your comments on which you would prefer and without cost being a consideration.
I don't think keel stepped vs deck stepped is a safety concern. for instance a HR has a deck stepped mast. for me the downside of a keel stepped mast ( I have a Catalina 36) is that I always have a wet bilge. I think in terms of build quality both are roughly the same.
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:42   #3

Boat: Hanse 531

Hanse 418's mast is also deck stepped, no?

Quote:
RIG & SAILS
- Rig, anodized aluminium, deck stepped, with kicker, standing and
running rigging and 2 reefs
Specifications
Old 08-02-2019, 06:29   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

You'll find most modern boats are deck stepped, look at Amels as an example.

Why do you think the Hanses are more robust than the Jeanneau?
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:44   #5

I got carried away browsing through brochures and stats for both boats

1) Performance seems quite similar. (Don't know about performance in extreme weather, but looking at the polar diagrams.)

2) Both are CE A (Hanse for 10 persons, Jeanneau for 8 persons).

3) The look of the Hanse, both outside and inside, is much more appealing for me. We wanted a very light interior and we liked Hanse's options better.

Looking forward to hear comments about structural and seaworthiness differences, if there are any significant.

I the end, I assume it's quite safe to fall in love with either one
Old 08-02-2019, 08:39   #6

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Jeanneau is a high quality boat builder. The French have a lot of experience building yachts.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 14:26   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
Jeanneau is a high quality boat builder. The French have a lot of experience building yachts.

I’m an older Tartan owner. If I was in the market today there are only two mid to upper range brands I would consider Tartan, then Jenneau.

Jenneau has a great build quality does not do stupid things like have stove gas switches hidden under the sink and very importantly has good grab rails built into the overhead.

I have sailed Jenneaus in some bumpy weather and they did fine.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 15:06   #8

Not sure about the Hanse but the Jeanneau (our 44DS anyway) is a Euro boat. UK hatches, Italian belts and hoses, Swedish bilge pump, German electrics, etc. With the exception of the bilge pump that failed and provided an upgrade/redundancy opportunity, all quality stuff. Very happy with the Yanmar diesel.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 15:16   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

The Hanse owners from “myhanse” scared me away from the Hanse. A key to being a happy new boat owner is the dealer network. Both are good boats. I’d go with the one you like, but research your dealer. Our local one doesn’t have the same reputation as the Jeanneau dealer.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 19:45   #10

I would check the construction method, and stay away from a fully cored boat. These can be great from high end builders, but I would be very careful buying one from a budget builder. Also, check the history of serious accidents due to gear failure. Start at this forum and see how many Jeanneaus and how many Hanses show up. Also, bear in mind, that Jeanneau has built many more boats than Hanse.
Old 08-02-2019, 19:54   #11

Boat: Riva 48

Between those two, I would strongly suggest you buy the boat that looks better to you. Unlike cars, the French are better at boat building than the Germans, however the difference is small. Trust your feeling, if ore our advice (including this one, I guess).
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:09   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
Unlike cars, the French are better at boat building than the Germans, however the difference is small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR
Also, check the history of serious accidents due to gear failure. Start at this forum and see how many Jeanneaus and how many Hanses show up. Also, bear in mind, that Jeanneau has built many more boats than Hanse.
I wonder. Do we (prospective buyers) really have enough reliable data to form good opinions about the things mentioned above?

I read through the annual report of Beneteau and couldn't even find production numbers. I'm sure they are somewhere, but equally sure that a lot of the data/evidence publicly available is anecdotal and/or unreliable.

Also, I think the nationality of the manufacturer is much less important than their track record (of which there is sporadic data). Beneteau as well as Hanse have production facilities in Poland. "The Finns" are also great at making yachts (Swan, Baltic, Finngulf, etc), but a short while ago we thought the same about mobile phones (Nokia)

I think the EU CE certification system is great because it sets some ground rules for manufacturers focusing on the 'budget market' (which I am a proud member of!). The certification system should be constantly bettered, obviously, and that's something we can push for as consumers, and some of us also as voting EU citizens.

In an ideal world, just check that the boat is CE certified for the sailing you want to do, and then pick the one your inner spirit loves the most

Someone mentioned a good dealer is key, and that's something I've started to appreciate as well. There's a lot happening between the end of manufacturing and when the boat is finally handed over to her new owner(s), and if the dealer is a poor one, everything might turn sour. (Google hanse 588 windpilot )
Old 10-02-2019, 11:31   #13

Boat: Townson Talent MkII 36

Thankyou so much for all your thoughts. In answer to the query about why I thought Hanse May be stronger than the Jeanneau, I hate to say this but is based on the age old thread that more likely than not anything built by the Germans is likely to be better built/ more robust than the equivalent built by the French. My Peugeot is a case in point. What the hell was I thinking, it’s given me nothing but trouble.
However there are good points raised to debunk this theory.
The Hanse 418 is keel stepped. But I was amazed to have see that the HR are deck stepped.
Keep the opinions coming.
kitrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:58   #14

Very simple, keel stepped is cheaper to build than deck stepped. For a cruising boat, deck stepped eliminates more or less the leaks around the mast. The high end builders like HR and Amel use deck stepped masts.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:03   #15

The 418 is a deck stepped mast. I believe all Hanse's are deck stepped, but know for a fact the 418 is deck stepped. I looked at on this past summer.
Koz1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau