Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2020, 06:58   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Junk-Rigged Cruiser Thread and AMA

So I have never met another cruising Junk Rigged ship so far - any more of you out there? Or are you interested in knowing what it is like to cruise internationally on a Junk Rig?
I do have a YT channel, but have not put any effort into it yet, so I thought I would create this thread and answer questions if anyone has any.

Old 23-05-2020, 07:09   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Junk-Rigged Cruiser Thread and AMA

I'm interested, but only in a voyeuristic kind of way. Everything I know about junk rigs comes from reading Annie Hill's "Voyaging on a Small Income." IOW, I know very little.

I have no intention of converting my cutter to a junk, but I do appreciate the apparent simplicity and frugality of the junk.
Old 23-05-2020, 07:25   #3

Cheers mate. Yes, I feel very safe sailing solo at sea, knowing that I can continue sailing with torn sails by lashing together two battons over the broken panel, or can easily rig the sails to a broken or jury-rigged mast with no alteration. I actually broke the mains'l boom on the way down to Cape Verde. It was no problem at all - fixing it was impractical at sea, although not impossible, but as I did not need the entire mainsail for sailing downwind, I just lashed the boom to the two battons above it and kept going.
Old 23-05-2020, 07:39   #4

We met an American in Killibegs, Ireland, who was refurbishing an old wooden fishing trawler and was going to put on a junk rig. We could only talk to him for a limited time since we had a meeting to go too and then had to leave to head to Dublin. Really wish we could have talked more.

If we built a trawler and put on a sail rig, it would be a junk rig.

I have read the books and am a member of the JRA.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 07:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post

I have read the books and am a member of the JRA.
That seems to be generally the case with JRA, they are largely absent from the international cruising scene :P £5 a month is not worth it for me, as I can still read their opinions for free, and am not a huge fan of forums in general.
That was partly why I started this thread, as there doesn't seem to be many cruising junks around.

Already there is much I have learnt and changed from the info given in the books and JRA. Currently working on incorporating a sailcover design into the topping lifts, as the saicover design in the books is not very useful. I'll post pics when it is done.
Old 23-05-2020, 07:50   #6

Boat: EDELCAT33

Did you converted into junk rig or was it designed from the get go?

Free standing mast were self made or modified lamp post, or?

I have thought to convert my old catamaran to a biplane junk rig like one of the models from Berndt Khoeler. His DUO800s is somewhat similar but the mast/sail Plan is a Ljungström rig which in theory would make shortening sail an easy exercise

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5024.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	215621

Name:	IMG_5025.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	215622
https://duckworksmagazine.com/14/des.../#.Xsk1rORq3YU

https://www.ikarus342000.com/DUO800Spage.htm
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 08:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
Did you converted into junk rig or was it designed from the get go?

Free standing mast were self made or modified lamp post, or?

I have thought to convert my old catamaran to a biplane junk rig like one of the models from Berndt Khoeler. His DUO800s is somewhat similar but the mast/sail Plan is a Ljungström rig which in theory would make shortening sail an easy exercise

I really love the design for junk-cats, a mast on each hull. Though not seen many examples.
She was built as a junk, by an ex-Royal Navy engineer. The masts are built using the eight plank design in Practical Junk Rig, so are hollow. I feel that the design could be especially useful for cats as they are less forgiving to sudden increases in wind velocity, so the quick reefing would be a big plus.
Old 23-05-2020, 09:24   #8

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

We sailed a junk-rigged schooner around the world and if we could would do it again with the same rig in a heart beat. You have to do it two or more times to get it right ��

Along the way we met Pete Hill in Brazil and sailed with him on his wonderful junk-rigged cat China Moon.

We are now in the Rio Dulce where there are two other junk-rigged schooners that we know of.

Junk rigs are the ideal rig for sailing the 'milk run' I,e off the wind, around the world.

Jim sv GAIA
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 10:49   #9

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

The fella in Great Britain who wrote books on Ming Ming are fascinating to read. I have a 28 foot Sharpie that has unstayed schooner masts. When I retire next year I will finish my refit. I am seriously thinking of junking her. She is trailerable so will use her in deltas and the like.

If you read Ming Ming and his high latitude preps on the boat .... wow.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 10:53   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
The fella in Great Britain who wrote books on Ming Ming are fascinating to read. I have a 28 foot Sharpie that has unstayed schooner masts. When I retire next year I will finish my refit. I am seriously thinking of junking her. She is trailerable so will use her in deltas and the like.

If you read Ming Ming and his high latitude preps on the boat .... wow.
Yup, I enjoyed his writing. Many sailors are intolerable to read, but his stuff is good.
Old 23-05-2020, 10:56   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaia View Post
We sailed a junk-rigged schooner around the world and if we could would do it again with the same rig in a heart beat. You have to do it two or more times to get it right ��

Along the way we met Pete Hill in Brazil and sailed with him on his wonderful junk-rigged cat China Moon.

We are now in the Rio Dulce where there are two other junk-rigged schooners that we know of.

Junk rigs are the ideal rig for sailing the 'milk run' I,e off the wind, around the world.

Jim sv GAIA
Nice
Maybe we will see you one day. We're heading to French Guiana next (in November hopefully), and will be loitering around the Caribbean/South America for a few years until we are ready to pass around The Horn.
Old 23-05-2020, 11:38   #12

Boat: 40' searunner trimaran

Shirley Carter on Speedwell is circumnavigating single handed on a junk rigged boat. Amazing woman, amazing boat.
trimarannaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 12:35   #13

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
Nice
Maybe we will see you one day. We're heading to French Guiana next (in November hopefully), and will be loitering around the Caribbean/South America for a few years until we are ready to pass around The Horn.
Envious! Do not limit yourself to French Guyana, Guyana (formerly British Guyana) and Suriname (formerly Dutch Guyana) are both more interesting although we liked them all. You can should you so wish drive or be driven from one to the other.

Easiest to get there from Europe but there is a once a yr rally from the Caribbean. North east Brazil has been problematic lately. Pity.

Enjoy

Jim sv GAIA
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 12:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaia View Post
Envious! Do not limit yourself to French Guyana, Guyana (formerly British Guyana) and Suriname (formerly Dutch Guyana) are both more interesting although we liked them all. You can should you so wish drive or be driven from one to the other.

Easiest to get there from Europe but there is a once a yr rally from the Caribbean. North east Brazil has been problematic lately. Pity.

Enjoy

Jim sv GAIA
I don't have a driving licence, but I may visit them too. And yes, if I visit Brazil I won't be stopping till I am south of Rio.
Old 23-05-2020, 12:44   #15

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimarannaga View Post
Shirley Carter on Speedwell is circumnavigating single handed on a junk rigged boat. Amazing woman, amazing boat.
I met Shirley in Bermuda while on my annual cruise there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1BD2451F-267A-4503-9C7D-014917B64617.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	446.8 KB
ID:	215642   Click image for larger version

Name:	74895570-EB77-4E7E-89BE-A2920BD5521A.jpeg
Views:	199
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	215643  

Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags