Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2013, 16:18   #1

Yachtmaster Fasttrack; Allabroad/Blueoyster/other?

I'm looking into doing a fasttrack course, however I cant seem to find any reviews or testimonials for the above operations. Has anyone taken a course with the above or suggest an alternative?

If possible I'd like to do my STCW 95 at the same time.

Thanks!
r222210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 17:18   #2

I'm reading your post on an Android app, so am probably missing most of it. But I can unreservedly recommend the ASA school, Reef Runner Sailing, in Panama City, FL! They have a website you can view.
Islenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:13   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islenya View Post
I'm reading your post on an Android app, so am probably missing most of it. But I can unreservedly recommend the ASA school, Reef Runner Sailing, in Panama City, FL! They have a website you can view.
ASA does not do a course to the level of Yachtmaster , so that's not a runner for the OP.

OP. go onto the RYA site and search for a suitable school, see of they offer a fasttrack YM, there aren't to many that do , and most are in the UK

Dave
Old 10-11-2013, 07:38   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Yachtmaster Fasttrack; Allabroad/Blueoyster/other?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, r222210.

Blue Oysterhttp://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ool-73893.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 19:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
there aren't to many that do , and most are in the UK
True, but some fast track schools operate out of Gibraltar (including the two expressly mentioned by the O/P), South Africa, and Australia.

STCW 95 basic is offered as a regular component of essentially all fast track YM courses, so that shouldn't factor into the decision.

FWIW, here is a thread re Allabroad: http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...k-Course/page1

Like the Blue Oyster thread linked above by Gord, some of the comments are negative; but given their anonymous nature may be suspect. I would suggest telephoning both schools and requesting actual references (i.e., names and contact information of a few recent students). No guarantees that they won't handpick, but it's probably better than relying on somewhat vague condemnation by people who may have certain axes to grind.

If I were the O/P - who presumably has little if any experience of strong tidal conditions - I would prefer a school in England, but that's not to say that a Med-based school is a poor choice, especially if that's where he or she is based.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 13:45   #6

Re: Yachtmaster Fasttrack; Allabroad/Blueoyster/other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
ASA does not do a course to the level of Yachtmaster , so that's not a runner for the OP.

OP. go onto the RYA site and search for a suitable school, see of they offer a fasttrack YM, there aren't to many that do , and most are in the UK

Dave

My company (ASA) Allabroad Sailing Academy in Gibraltar completely offers the Fast Track to Yachtmaster course, this is well known. My team have been succesfully delivering this course since 2001 and since then we have built up an extensive dedicated shore based facility and acquired the additional MCA accreditation to deliver the full 'STCW-10 Basic Safety Training' in house, I do not out source any training, even the fire training is delivered by my dedicated team, using our own equipment. Further to this we now only deliver training on brand new 2016 Jeanneau 389 sailing yachts.

My apologies for ranting on like an advert, but I feel I must defend the misleading post.
DavePunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Broadblue, mast, oyster, rot, yacht