Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2013, 15:04   #16

Location: On dry land at the moment...and looking to rectify that!
Boat: Currently in the market for a new (to us) boat
Re: Prout Escale 39, Edel Helios 38, Edel 43, Broadblue 385

We were seriously in the market for a 1996 Escale, and ended up buying a 1984 Snowgoose. While we had a range of personal reasons for doing so (one major hitch being the fact that the Escale owner wanted WAY too much money for his boat and would not budge on the price), every day we have the Snowgoose we gain more and more respect for the platform. It is well-thought-out in so many ways, and things such as chain plates and rigging seem over-engineered.

My husband sailed it from Groton, CT to Annapolis, MD in early December with a delivery captain to help him. Weather conditions were less than optimal (at least 10-12 ft seas offshore), and the Snowgoose performed admirably. The delivery captain had never sailed a Prout (but had sailed other cats), and he was amazed at how well it handled the conditions. There was no water slapping between the hulls, and the nacelle helped cut through the waves-- it was an advantage. The delivery captain was very impressed. He actually asked if he could come sailing with us as a passenger, once we got the Snowgoose fixed up and ready to go sailing.

Granted, it was not fully loaded when they sailed it, and some have commented on the degradation in performance as a result of overloading cats, but Snowgoose have been successfully sailing around the world for decades.

Cheers,
S/V Octopussy
Octopussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 16:54   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
That would be an impressive load on an Escale, a Manta, the 45 or the Quasar!! You might be able to achieve it if you were carrying 2 elephants.

Basically your generic comment is irrelevant to the OP query and is inaccurate anyway.
Certainly on the Quasar perhaps not, but you won't find a cruising Prout without the nacelle dragging.
Old 27-03-2013, 17:00   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I believe the Snowgoose classic is considered by many to be the best sailing Prout. You certainly need to keep them as light as possible which basically makes them unsuited to most people's tastes for a modern cruising boat as they simply don't have the payload to carry all the stuff most folks now require.

I carefully considered buying a Quest 31 and a Snowgoose and I wish those well that own them. It seems most are at least aware of the problems as opposed to those currently be fooled into buying the "new and improved" Gemini cat. I happen to know a lot about these prouts and have cruised in company with several so I'd appreciated those that don't agree with me going off about how I have no idea what I'm about.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 29-03-2013, 03:10   #19
Marine Service Provider

What about a Fountaine Pajot 38 Athena? Are they in the same league?
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 03:20   #20

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
The Nacell touching the water doesn't necessarily kill performance. In fact it helps to break up wave energy reduce pitchpoling and while it may "thump a little more its pounding is much less violent. We considered a 34 Event but it felt too dated and cramped. It was a very sturdy and stiff boat though.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Broadblue